2015 Tokyo Autumn Fujiya Avic Headphone festival - 24-25 October
Sep 1, 2015 at 8:33 AM Post #18 of 53
Question for expats in Japan:

Is it possible for visitors to get a SIM card for both data and voice (i.e. a local number)? Everything I see seems to be data only.

One option I've come up with is to get a local Skype number (they seem to just ask you to declare that you are a "resident of Japan") and then use a data only SIM or mobile Wi-Fi hotspot.

Sep 1, 2015 at 8:40 AM Post #19 of 53
Historically Japan has been quite strict on SIM cards. One would need to produce an ID to show proof of residence in Japan. Folks either go for the data (which you've found out) and these days with the likes of LINE, and Facebook Messenger providing voice, there's an even less need for the rules to change.

If one needs a local number they can "rent a phone" and swap the SIM cards over. I don't know if those SIMs would carry data though.

Sep 8, 2015 at 8:06 AM Post #20 of 53
Took me a while to dig it up, but I finally found something on the Fujiya-Avic website about the fall festival.

http://www.fujiya-avic.jp/blog/?p=19810

詳しいことは、これから発表できる時期になりましたら(大人の事情がありまして・・・)
お知らせしてまいりますので、お楽しみに!

Garbled Translate:
"Detailed thing, if you have become a time to be announced from now (... if there are adult circumstances)"
evil_smiley.gif

"Because we will continue to inform, so stay tuned!"
popcorn.gif

Edit: I asked a colleague fluent in Japanese about the part in parentheses and she couldn't figure it out either. She said, "Those Japanese headphone guys are strange ..."
dt880smile.png

Sep 12, 2015 at 3:46 AM Post #21 of 53
Ultrasone Edition M? http://www.ultrasone-headphones.com/en/products/editions/edition-m

Sep 12, 2015 at 8:42 PM Post #22 of 53
I plan on attending the 25th assuming my flight back to Japan happens as scheduled.

Sep 17, 2015 at 7:30 PM Post #23 of 53
A couple vendors in Narita started advertising rental SIM card services.  Don't know if they work, but I saw a few signs last time I flew through Narita (in May.)

I'll probably be there Saturday.  Possibly Friday.

Oct 13, 2015 at 11:07 AM Post #25 of 53

Official Festival Event special webpage: http://www.fujiya-avic.jp/user_data/headphone_fes.php

Fujita-Avic has made updates over the last 2 weeks and gradually updated with a special site for the upcoming 2015 Autumn-Headphone Festival. Had already shared this info at one of my local forums HardwareZone with my fellow friendly forummers, but totally forgot about Head-fi members as I haven't been dropping by as of late, am more of a occasional lurker than regular poster around here. Apparently according to Fujiya-Avic for this year's event on the 1st day, they will be officially extending the show's hours by one hour until 1930hours, compared to the usual 1830 in terms of closing time since I was there during last year's Autumn event. The second day's show operating time is until 1800hours as per normally.

Hope the above information is helpful for those who are attending the upcoming event with slightly more than a week only to go. I happened to know Uncle E1 around in here personally so will most likely be at the event with him and his gang of Singaporean friends since I am from Singapore myself. If there is anyone who is interested in meeting up at the headphone festival or interested in trying out some of the rare/discontinued Audio-Technica stuffs that I personally own (just check my Head-fi profile), just feel free to drop me in a private message via PM inbox and share your contacts for me to keep in touch with you, and I will be happy to oblige. :wink:

Oct 13, 2015 at 11:15 AM Post #26 of 53
Question for expats in Japan:

Is it possible for visitors to get a SIM card for both data and voice (i.e. a local number)? Everything I see seems to be data only.

One option I've come up with is to get a local Skype number (they seem to just ask you to declare that you are a "resident of Japan") and then use a data only SIM or mobile Wi-Fi hotspot.

http://www.softbank-rental.jp/e/

Try Softbank's Global Rental services. They do allow pre-booking of SIM card and on arrival day in Japan you can pick up from either Haneda International Airport or Narita Airport depending oh which airport you will be arriving at. Check their FAQ page if you have any enquiries that you are not sure, pretty self-explanatory IMO. Their SIM cards will come with a physical local japanese number and incoming calls are free, so pretty good if you have friends in Japan whom you would like to keep in touch with regularly. I have used their services twice and can definitely vouch for their great service and reliability. (although for Softbank Global Rental/GSMRentafone I have mostly only used their voicecalls/emails, for Data wise I will usually still purchase separately and rely on those prepaid Data simcards with fixed packet-data rate like 1GB or 2GB commonly known as Pake-hodai that are typically sold/retail at Bic Camera or Yodobashi, for example \IIJMio are one of those.)

Oct 17, 2015 at 1:17 AM Post #27 of 53
Had just created a temporary crowd sourcing group on Facebook to cover the up coming event in Tokyo. For those attending, do appreciate sharing live pictures and experience as you go around testing stuff there. For those who can't be there, it will be a virtual participation! Join us now!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/502016339957335/

Oct 17, 2015 at 3:18 AM Post #28 of 53
Thanks for creating the group. I am looking forward to my first large scale audio event. Anyone want to hook up there on Sunday?

Oct 17, 2015 at 4:15 AM Post #30 of 53
Already done!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back