2015 - Sony PHA - 1A Portable Hi-Res DAC/Headphone Amplifier
Apr 18, 2015 at 7:58 AM Post #92 of 430
Also could you take more pictures of it with the iPod classic?

I have high hopes that I will not double post these images.

Apr 18, 2015 at 8:06 AM Post #93 of 430
I had a hard time deciding between this and the Oppo HA2, I ended up getting the HA2 but will probably get this as well, I really like the Wolfson DACs to. Does anyone have both or heard both and could give a brief review?

Apr 18, 2015 at 8:35 AM Post #94 of 430
I had a hard time deciding between this and the Oppo HA2, I ended up getting the HA2 but will probably get this as well, I really like the Wolfson DACs to. Does anyone have both or heard both and could give a brief review?

I liked the Oppo as well.  What I didn't like was having to adapt the connection to the NWZ-A17.  I have done that too many times.  I was willing to live with whatever shortcomings the Sony might have for the sake of keeping it simple.  The way that it looks now this unit paired with the iPod is tidy enough that if you can live with the outdated iPod interface and a larger player, it is a good setup for travel and work.

Apr 18, 2015 at 11:59 AM Post #97 of 430
Thanks.

When using the iPod Classic connected to the PHA-1A do you have the Classic EQ set to off or flat?

I was certain but I checked anyway and the EQ was off.  I guess I am curious about the difference if you know of any.

Apr 18, 2015 at 12:11 PM Post #98 of 430
I still love my iPod. I use it all of the time, plenty of storage and easy to navigate.

Out of curiosity I just priced a new one.  There is a reason to love it and keep a watchful eye on it.

Apr 21, 2015 at 6:35 PM Post #100 of 430
Just got a notification that Amazon has shipped my PHA-1A

It's still showing that it's shipping in 1-4 weeks but mine's supposed to arrive tomorrow  

Here's the link: http://amzn.to/18PtARW

Apr 21, 2015 at 7:58 PM Post #101 of 430
  Just got a notification that Amazon has shipped my PHA-1A

It's still showing that it's shipping in 1-4 weeks but mine's supposed to arrive tomorrow  

Here's the link: http://amzn.to/18PtARW

Be sure to share your thoughts after you've listened.  I have finally received my NWZ-A17 and have replaced my iPod with it in the setup.

Apr 23, 2015 at 11:14 AM Post #104 of 430
My first impression after a couple days with the PHA-1A: 

I have only used it so far with the NW-ZX2.  I can't say the amp improves the sound but it definitely is louder than the ZX2 alone.  If you have headphones that aren't being served by the ZX2, this may help and it is definitely much more portable than the PHA-3.  In my case, my walking-around-town Etymotic IEMs work beautifully with the NW-ZX2 alone, and I can't imagine using the PHA-1A with it.

On the other hand, I am looking forward to using the PHA-1A with my various iPod touches/Classics/scroll-wheels and my iPhone 6...with those devices I am sure the amp will make a big difference...but have not yet tested and will report back.

Apr 23, 2015 at 11:39 AM Post #105 of 430
My first impression after a couple days with the PHA-1A: 

I have only used it so far with the NW-ZX2.  I can't say the amp improves the sound but it definitely is louder than the ZX2 alone.  If you have headphones that aren't being served by the ZX2, this may help and it is definitely much more portable than the PHA-3.  In my case, my walking-around-town Etymotic IEMs work beautifully with the NW-ZX2 alone, and I can't imagine using the PHA-1A with it.

On the other hand, I am looking forward to using the PHA-1A with my various iPod touches/Classics/scroll-wheels and my iPhone 6...with those devices I am sure the amp will make a big difference...but have not yet tested and will report back.

Thanks, can't wait to read what you have to say on that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back