2015 - Sony PHA - 1A Portable Hi-Res DAC/Headphone Amplifier
Sep 7, 2015 at 7:33 PM Post #271 of 430
i would also like to know how well of an improvement the PHA-1A gives the MDR-1A with the SONY A17 walkman.

I already have the A17 and MDR-1A (being shipped now) and am already thinking of getting the PHA-1A. IS it worth $300?!

Sep 7, 2015 at 8:41 PM Post #272 of 430
  i would also like to know how well of an improvement the PHA-1A gives the MDR-1A with the SONY A17 walkman.

I already have the A17 and MDR-1A (being shipped now) and am already thinking of getting the PHA-1A. IS it worth $300?!

i Own previous model MDR-1R, and they sounded too mid-oriented on the A17, added an Oppo HA-2 amp and problem solved, very neutral phones, but also they took a great deal of time to burn-in

Sep 8, 2015 at 9:13 AM Post #274 of 430
  is the oppo ha-2 better ?

i would like to keep all SONY if possible...unless oppo is a much better product for the same price

If you want warm DAC like wolfson used in the PHA-1A go for it, maybe going all sony is a better synergy. But i chose Oppo because it includes analogue input, PHA-1A only has digital input​

Sep 12, 2015 at 11:24 AM Post #275 of 430
It's a difficult choice between PHA-3 and PHA-1a for my Sony MDR-1a.
In the end I chose PHA-1a which power my Sony MDR-1a decently.
However I am using the older Sony Walkman F887 which seems have
battery drainage problem.
Worse than my previous amp PHA-2 which last much longer
so guess for the meantime I may have to switch to my Xperia Z2 for music with the PHA-1a.  
Until my Walkman A26 arrives than I will switch back.
One thing I do notice that PHA-1a seems like feeding battery from source
device.
If your source device like my Xperia Z2 which have a much fatter battery,
not only it sound better but battery drain doesn't seem that quick.
My Walkman F887 have a weaker battery so the drainage is very quick.
Despite the muscular sound with excellent soundstage, the only thing I
want to complain is the Xperia Digital cable is simply useless!
It's so short that I got problem connecting to both my Z2 phone and tablet.
Z2 phone it's so short that amp placement is so hard whereas my Z2 tablet
I have problem holding my device!
Seriously Sony please look into longer cable for xperia but for the time being.
I be using OTG cable with the supplied cable for the time being.
I'm also looking for suitable casing for my setup.
In the future, when I got the chance it's time to play with PHA-3
as I still got other projects in mind.

Sep 19, 2015 at 2:39 PM Post #276 of 430
A technical question.   I got my pha-1a last week and right away I noticed that the volume knob after the green on/off/battery light flashes and remains on,  the travel it takes to get any sound is almost a third of the total rotation travel!   This can't be normal is it?  Let it be said, once past this point, the volume increases rapidly as the knob is moved to the end of it's travel.   No complaints otherwise but this is a little troubling for me.   Anyone have this issue or am I being anal 
tongue.gif

Thanks
Raptor

Oct 6, 2015 at 4:18 AM Post #277 of 430
Just to be sure. I have Sony NWZ A 15, Fiio E11, Sony XBA A-2. If I upgrade my amplfier to DAC + Amp, Sony PHA - 1A, would there any improvement from current setup? If there are, by how much?

Oct 6, 2015 at 12:06 PM Post #278 of 430
  A technical question.   I got my pha-1a last week and right away I noticed that the volume knob after the green on/off/battery light flashes and remains on,  the travel it takes to get any sound is almost a third of the total rotation travel!   This can't be normal is it?  Let it be said, once past this point, the volume increases rapidly as the knob is moved to the end of it's travel.   No complaints otherwise but this is a little troubling for me.   Anyone have this issue or am I being anal 
tongue.gif

Thanks
Raptor

I've noticed this, as well; especially with high impedance cans (HD-650), as opposed to my IEMs (Shure SE-420).

Oct 25, 2015 at 7:40 PM Post #282 of 430
I received my Sony PHA-1A today. To me it lacks bass and I had no choice but to EQ my iPod Classic... Mind you I'm coming from a JDS Labs C5 with hardware bass built in. My classic sounds darn good, I'm impressed. I also tried Spotify and Amazon Prime Music app on my iPhone 6 and was blown away with the improvement. This little dac and amp works really well with iems, cannot wait to try out my Beyerydinamic DT-770 250 ohms with it. I'm happy so far.

Also, one problem. I thought that when you connect a dac to an iPod Classic it's volume control is disable. I can still turn up and down the volume by click wheel.

Hi, i am eyeing on this to pair up with iPod 5th Gen and Westone W50 (Output Impedence 25 ohms). I read somewhere in this thread that the PHA-1A's impedence is 10 ohms which is not good for low impedence IEMs. So, do you think if I use my W50 with iPod/iPhone, this sony dac amp is not good? Help pls. thanks

Oct 26, 2015 at 11:47 AM Post #283 of 430
Hi, i am eyeing on this to pair up with iPod 5th Gen and Westone W50 (Output Impedence 25 ohms). I read somewhere in this thread that the PHA-1A's impedence is 10 ohms which is not good for low impedence IEMs. So, do you think if I use my W50 with iPod/iPhone, this sony dac amp is not good? Help pls. thanks

Sorry, I cannot answer. I returned the PHA-1A due to its brightness and lack of bass options.

Nov 6, 2015 at 12:29 PM Post #284 of 430
Sadly, pha-1a has a different port to charge it, and it must be turned off to charge

I don't think that is true - I can connect my Mac to the micro USB port, as well as a 5v USB charger (e.g. iPad charger) to the 5v input port and both play music and charge the battery.

The light is green, during playback, so it might look like it's not charging, but when I stop playback, disconnect the audio USB and turn off the volume, the red light goes off (which means it's fully charged).

Nov 6, 2015 at 10:02 PM Post #285 of 430
I don't think that is true - I can connect my Mac to the micro USB port, as well as a 5v USB charger (e.g. iPad charger) to the 5v input port and both play music and charge the battery.

The light is green, during playback, so it might look like it's not charging, but when I stop playback, disconnect the audio USB and turn off the volume, the red light goes off (which means it's fully charged).

I guess so. Tried it as well, seems to be charging while being used. Damn manual is misleading

Users who are viewing this thread

Back