2015 - Sony PHA - 1A Portable Hi-Res DAC/Headphone Amplifier
Jul 23, 2015 at 2:21 AM Post #256 of 430
I've always been on the fence about picking up a PHA because I read that if you're using it through a computer it can't charge power at the same time. 

Is this still the case with the PHA-1A?

Jul 25, 2015 at 2:09 AM Post #257 of 430
Hi guys, I have read through all the posts in this thread but curious to find out how this PHA-1A pairs with UE Triple Fi.

Interested to order one and just want to know the SQ by pairing this with Triple Fi.

Thanks!

Aug 20, 2015 at 7:19 PM Post #260 of 430
Can anyone detail the differences, from user stand point, in audio quality between Sony PHA-1 and PHA-3?  Notice the huge price differences, $300 vs. $900, is it even worth the money to buy a PHA-3 model?

Aug 24, 2015 at 3:36 AM Post #261 of 430
I did just order the PHA 1A today at local headphone and audio store.

This will be my first headphone amp (besides the one integrated into my PSB M4U2).

I purchased the Grado 225 today as well. Also auditioned the NAD VISO HP50 and Audioquest Nighthawks, neither of which were my cup of tea.

The piece of gear that left the greatestvimpression on me today though was the Sony MDR-1A headphone.

The sound is so rich and luscious and is coupled with the sensation of almost not even feeling the gear on your head because it is light as a feather and extremely comfortable.

Can anyone comment the synergy of the MDR-1A and any Sony DAC/Amp? Thanks.

Aug 24, 2015 at 3:50 PM Post #262 of 430
I did just order the PHA 1A today at local headphone and audio store.

This will be my first headphone amp (besides the one integrated into my PSB M4U2).

I purchased the Grado 225 today as well. Also auditioned the NAD VISO HP50 and Audioquest Nighthawks, neither of which were my cup of tea.

The piece of gear that left the greatestvimpression on me today though was the Sony MDR-1A headphone.

The sound is so rich and luscious and is coupled with the sensation of almost not even feeling the gear on your head because it is light as a feather and extremely comfortable.

Can anyone comment the synergy of the MDR-1A and any Sony DAC/Amp? Thanks.

mm difficult to say but as since both are sony they must have good sinergy then
biggrin.gif

Aug 25, 2015 at 7:17 AM Post #264 of 430
Thanks for the reply guys. I was so impressed with the MDR-1A unamped just straight out my Galaxy s4 listening to purchased songs from my Google Play Music library.

And since I've ordered the PHA-1A, I'm already looking forward to hearing how the MDR-1A, which was available for audition at the store from which I ordered the amp, will sound together.

Amazing, I'd bet.

Aug 26, 2015 at 5:50 AM Post #265 of 430
That's a very interesting result you have there with the S4. I tried Galaxy S5 or even S6 with my XBA-A3 on Spotify Premium but the sound is erm.. just ok and feels like just not enough oomph to drive out the sound... (personal feel)

You should be getting a huge boost from the PHA-1A on your MDR-1A as mine on the S5 and S6 combo with the XBA-A3.

Aug 26, 2015 at 7:43 PM Post #266 of 430
I received an earphone and portable amp from friend for trying out, this is a new brand "Acoustune" designed in Japan.  The earphone (Accoustune HS1001) itself is already very impressive, it turns the audio output from a cheap smartphone (USD$130 without contract) into a new listening experience.  Simply put, I felt like I am sitting on the front row of a live concert even with music from this cheap smartphone.  Of course, higher end smartphones do give better audio performance.  The interesting part is that I never used that cheap smartphone for music listening, it was my cell phone when I travel to China.  (I do not want Chinese spyware in my regular smartphone, so I bought a cheap one for communications there with local SIM card in it.)  I tried hooking up the portable amp (Acoustune AS1001) to the HS1001 earphone to see the difference with and without the portable amp, I can tell the difference but not by much.  I showed the pair to a friend but he insists the music is MUCH better with both setup, meaning the portable amp does elevate the audio output to a MUCH better level!

So here is my question,

- while the Acoutune HS1001 earphone emphasizes on expanding the frequency range (more than the expansion of frequency response) to achieve wider sound field -

would the adding of a portable acoustic amp be just double up the effort?  or it actually does enrich the sound beyond raising the base dB level?

Aug 27, 2015 at 4:39 AM Post #267 of 430
The price of a new brand, Acoustune, portable amp (model AS1001) is also in that USD$300 price range!  This one is from a Japanese company.  Perhaps, these companies have all decided $299 is the right price to sell this new product.

Aug 27, 2015 at 9:02 PM Post #268 of 430
Is there any one who has experience with iPhone 6 + Sony PHA-1A + Sony XBA-A3 blend?
Is the Wolfson 8740 DAC that embedded in the Sony PHA-1A increase digital output sound quality of iPhone 6?
Excuse me for my bad english...

Sep 6, 2015 at 11:42 PM Post #269 of 430
Hi I just bought this amp it sounds amazing on my gf's iPad.

Although I had expected to use it with my android smartphone for daily use.

I did a lot of research to make sure it wasn't iPod, iPad, PC, and Xperia compatible only.

Many sites I checked said it can be used with many mobile devices.

I had read that I may need an OTG USB in order to get a link going with the android, but an OTG doesn't seem to be the answer.

Does anyone know if a micro USB to micro USB cable could be the solution?

Sent from my LGLS660 using Tapatalk

Sep 7, 2015 at 3:51 AM Post #270 of 430
Sorry for double post. I did discover that with the cables included in the Sony PHA-1A box you can in fact easily connect to a very limited amount of android based phones.

HTC One X
GALAXY Note 2 - Note 5
Galaxy Premier i9260
GALAXY S4
GALAXY S5
Galaxy SIII

https://esupport.sony.com/US/p/support-info.pl?info_id=1572&mdl=PHA3

The info in this link is regarding the PHA3. But after reading this PDF I realized I had been trying to connect the PHA-1A to my LG Tribute phone and the devices did not recognize each other.

As soon as I plugged the supplied dual micro USB plug from the amp into my Galaxy S4 the sound came from the amp into the headphones and sounds great.

Sent from my LGLS660 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back