2015 - Sony PHA - 1A Portable Hi-Res DAC/Headphone Amplifier
May 21, 2015 at 5:39 PM Post #198 of 430

I was about to get the ha-2 (I'm a unashamed Oppo fan boy) but changed my mind when I saw the cables needed to use the ha-2 and the a17 together.  Sonys solution was much simpler with their 'proprietary'  cable included.   Sorry Fizban, I can't answer how the sound differences  are between the two amps but can say I am completely satisfied with the pha-1a.   After a week with it, the sound is opening up to where I don't care what other amps sound like, it's a very good match with the a17. Color me saaatisfied 
biggrin.gif

SO ... it sounds better that the A-10 alone ? waiting your review/impressions ... i am quite satisfied by the A-10 and my iems quite a lot ... but you know the greedy audiophile in us !

May 21, 2015 at 11:19 PM Post #199 of 430
Haha actually sometimes reviews are more fun to read than listening to the stuff themselves
Too many gadgets lying around unused after the initial honeymoon period!
Restraint is in order!!

May 23, 2015 at 11:28 AM Post #200 of 430
  So.....it seems like this questions hasn't yet been answered:

How does the PHA-1A compare to the Oppo HA-2??
Not considering the bass boost on the HA-2, that is.

While i don't have a budget to buy both, i got the HA-2 and i can say it takes my A17 (using a fiio L5 lineout) to another level man.. and my laptop sound quality jump is shocking unvelievable
blink.gif
 i am impressed by this thing a lot. In my laptop i can note a SQ upgarde in terman of all corners, from deep bass to cristal clear mids/highs, to a wider soundtsgae (using it on a VAIO 2014 model with USB DAC mode in the HA-2)

as amp-only with my A17 seems to retain all the ccharcteristics of the A17 sound but it gives my underdriven headpohones another life!, 1R are bass shy when driven from the A17 HO, now with it hooked in the HA-2, those reach deeeep lows, earth-shaking lows crispy mids/highs. One thing to note as @zilch0md said it is not worth using the LO on the A17, well I noted a significant upgrade and i can't go past vol 2 on the volume knob. at vol. "1.5" is very detailed with clear low bass extension. Have a few Hrs with it so i think this little bugger will open-up more

I was about to get the ha-2 (I'm a unashamed Oppo fan boy) but changed my mind when I saw the cables needed to use the ha-2 and the a17 together.  Sonys solution was much simpler with their 'proprietary'  cable included.   Sorry Fizban, I can't answer how the sound differences  are between the two amps but can say I am completely satisfied with the pha-1a.   After a week with it, the sound is opening up to where I don't care what other amps sound like, it's a very good match with the a17. Color me saaatisfied 
biggrin.gif

I agree the HA-2 amp only sounds wayy better than the A17 direct.drive (headphones-out), using the LO is cleaner than the HO and well it has loads (yes i said loads instead of lots as a pun) the only one where i drove the know to vol. 10 and on H-gain was on a terribly recorded music super mega quiet... they forgot toe mixer console i think

SO ... it sounds better that the A-10 alone ? waiting your review/impressions ... i am quite satisfied by the A-10 and my iems quite a lot ... but you know the greedy audiophile in us !

Yes posta review

May 23, 2015 at 7:47 PM Post #202 of 430
After further listening it's safe to say that the PHA-1A sounds darn good with my iPhone 6 with Spotify. I even connected my iPod Nano 3G with 320 AAC files and was pleased with it. I wonder what's the deal with my iPod Classic 7G.

I was searching but couldn't find a definite answer. When you connect your iphone do you just use the lightning cable and plug the usb end directly? Or do you need the camera connector adaptor? I'm interested in getting a midrange dac/amp and this looks like a great option since a lot of them require that camera connector.

May 23, 2015 at 8:01 PM Post #203 of 430

After further listening it's safe to say that the PHA-1A sounds darn good with my iPhone 6 with Spotify. I even connected my iPod Nano 3G with 320 AAC files and was pleased with it. I wonder what's the deal with my iPod Classic 7G.

I was searching but couldn't find a definite answer. When you connect your iphone do you just use the lightning cable and plug the usb end directly? Or do you need the camera connector adaptor? I'm interested in getting a midrange dac/amp and this looks like a great option since a lot of them require that camera connector.

The oppo HA-2 comes with a light ning to USB A cable

May 23, 2015 at 8:32 PM Post #204 of 430

Yes, you can use any lightning cable like the one supplied with your phone...no camera connection kit needed.

Oan I'm returning the PHA-1A and going for the CETrance HiFi-M8 instead. Y'all have fun! :)

May 27, 2015 at 9:57 AM Post #206 of 430
I would hope that the M8 is better for 2x the cost. Is it twice as good?

I would like to know what, other than the HA-2, competes at this price point?

May 27, 2015 at 12:27 PM Post #207 of 430
I ordered before you asked about the lightning cable connector, d'oh! Bad timing.  Now I have an extra $30 cable I'll probably use once or twice, lol.  It does make using apple devices so much easier, thank god. 

May 27, 2015 at 3:45 PM Post #208 of 430

Technically it's better. More options like bass and treble controls. Can drive hard to drive headphones. I'm hoping its sound signature is better than the PHA-1A which it should. I found that the PHA-1A was too bright with a limited soundstage.

May 27, 2015 at 4:08 PM Post #209 of 430
Technically it's better. More options like bass and treble controls. Can drive hard to drive headphones. I'm hoping its sound signature is better than the PHA-1A which it should. I found that the PHA-1A was too bright with a limited soundstage.

Well, when you can compare them together, get back with us.  
rolleyes.gif

May 27, 2015 at 8:52 PM Post #210 of 430

I have compared the Sony PHA-1 (not the PHA-1A, but the PHA-1 has more power) and the CEntrance HiFi M8 to the Sennheiser HDVD 800 all in driving the Sennheiser HD 800 headphones. Results are here; summary table is below (higher scores are better).  HiFi M8 gets more points than the Sennheiser because the Sennheiser tames the 5 KHz to 8 KHz peak in the HD 800s that concern some, while some (me!!!) like the treble detail the peak provides, and that the MiFi M8 preserves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back