2013 SF Bay Area (Changfest?) Meet Impressions Thread
Feb 19, 2013 at 4:21 PM Post #121 of 225
Usually to make things less confusing to the uninitiated, I think of Stax as already being plural, as it sounds like "stacks."  So it would be "I need some Stax", "How many Stax do you have", "Why does the Stax cord always seem to strangle me in my sleep", "Did you know Stax sent free Stax to all major world leaders right before the market crashed", "Ohmagawd Stax is a conspiracy where the Japanese are teaming up with Sentient Robots to take over the rest of the planet.  They have not forgotten, they will not forgive, and they will not forego what they consider as their right to total dominion over the civilized world."

Feb 19, 2013 at 4:32 PM Post #122 of 225
I KNEW arnaud's interview translation was wrong! He's one of the robots! :D

Feb 19, 2013 at 4:47 PM Post #123 of 225
THIS is exactly why they stopped making the T-2, they were concerned it would lead to the Cyberdyne Systems Model 101, also known as the T-101!!

Quote:
"Ohmagawd Stax is a conspiracy where the Japanese are teaming up with Sentient Robots to take over the rest of the planet.  They have not forgotten, they will not forgive, and they will not forego what they consider as their right to total dominion over the civilized world."

Feb 19, 2013 at 4:59 PM Post #125 of 225
I really had a great time meeting so many of you, it was a great meet.

Thanks to the awesome organizers for making it all happen!

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Feb 19, 2013 at 5:37 PM Post #126 of 225
First, thanks to all who had a hand in putting this together and those that brought/shared their gear. I only stopped by for a short time but really enjoyed it.

There was a mis communication on my part which I apologize for. I noticed my username on one of the table spaces. I sure hope no one missed out on space because of me. I didn't check the thread much after mentioning that I wanted to attend. My only intentions were to stop by and not bring anything. So again, sorry if I took up space that someone else could have used. 

Unfortunately, I missed out on the HE-6 somehow and also a couple of other phones that seemed to be a hit there. 

I did get to hear for the first time:

HE-500: Very impressed and my type of sound. 

Mad Dog: Very impressed considering the price. Had a liquid quality along with detail, balance and extension that basically puts headphones in the same price range to shame IMHO 
smile.gif
 (DT1350, Amperior, Momentum and Vmoda M100) if you like its sound signature (which I clearly did).

The Koss ESP-950 was very good as well, but I still liked the HE-500 better. 

The Stax 009 is the best headphone. Period. It makes me wonder why the HE-90 is still relevant at its price (heard on several occasions). But the 009 is well beyond what I'd ever be interested in spending. 

I wasn't so into the Vmoda M100, but I have issues with bass heavy headphones. 

I listened to some other phones as well, but these were the standouts among the ones that I had time to hear. 

I listened to the Senn HD800 again. I can see why its so popular, but I still can't get over the slight artificial sound that I perceive along with the lack of engagement it gives me. It's a brilliant dynamic though, and I can understand why so many are into it. 

I still prefer the K-1000 to all of them (minus the 009). Really wish I could have heard the HE-6 to compare with the K1K... next time.

Of course the conversation with the great people in this community was the highlight. Thanks again for all involved in making this happen!

Feb 19, 2013 at 6:30 PM Post #128 of 225
First of all, before I forget, hope everything is okay with Brian from BTG. 

I was all excited to see/hear some of his recabling work up close.  But alas, it was not to be this time around. 
frown.gif
  Hope to catch you next time!

Quote:
GREAT MUSIC
GREAT SOUND
GREAT COMMUNITY

Aye!  Hey CEE TEE, were you the one manning the HeadRoom table at last year's LA Meet?  I remember being a little confused last year as someone said someone named Jorge was bringing stuff from HeadRoom.  I remember thinking you didn't look like a Jorge, but whatevs.  So when I saw you this time, I instinctively thought "hey there's that Jorge guy!"  Think I finally got it straight now, lol. 
biggrin.gif

Quote:
Anyways, I'm going to suggest that this surplus be used for an upcoming meet in SoCal just to return the favor. I have no idea what form, date, size, etc. at this time.

If such a wonderful thing should happen, I'd be very interested in knowing about the size/scope.  Would it be accurate to say that there always seems to be a conflict between the limiting the size for a better experience, versus accomodating everyone that is interested in attending?

Quote:
I slept on it and decided that I couldn't wait anymore to get the Mad Dog.  Just placed my order.  Hope it arrives by Friday. :)

I'm kinda surprised you held out for this long. 
wink.gif

Quote:
Quote:
You liked it that much?

Well, I did!!  I placed an other as soon as I got home.
L3000.gif

I think that if you listen acoustic music and vocals (jazz, brazilian, etc), they are hard to beat.  I'm not talking on the technicalities, of course, but on the sheer intimacy and feeling they bring out.

I wholeheartedly concur. 

Quote:
Quote:

Out of curiosity, what [music] were you auditioning the D7100 with?

I pushed Paul McCartney's "I'm Gonna Sit Right Down And Write Myself A Letter" ( from the album "Kisses From The Bottom") to check out the mids, and then naturally, E.S. Posthumus' "Unstoppable" (from "Makara") to check out bass and treble control. They sounded pretty good, though I think the midrange was sort of shrill or hollowed out. Sorry, I'm such a midrange head. Other than that, bass was a bit uncontrolled, but everything sounded fairly neutral and with good enough timber. Soundstage was fairly decent as well. 

That was all straight out of your phone right?  I'm gonna try and duplicate that as much as I can and get back to you.  BTW, did you get a chance to hear Oblique's D600?  I think you'd find them to actually be more to your liking in terms of both bass control and overall brightness.  To me, they sounded more neutral than the D7100 I brought.

Quote:

I love my ES10, but I wished that it had more bass extension, and less bass impact at times. The Mad Dogs seem perfect for that!

Well, your ES10 isn't anything to shake a stick at.  And besides, they're going to be your portable mainstay as you won't be dragging your Mad Dog out of the house.

Quote:
Here are some thoughts on the 3 cans that wowed me and my brother at the meet:

Beyerdynamic T5P (wow factor: 9.6/10): if I have the cash to burn, I'd grab a T5P any random day of the week. The T5P I heard sounded significantly better than everything else (HD800, LCD-2, T1, etc...) and it didn't even need a high-end amp. It sounded that impressive just by being plugged directly into a DAP and into my MacBook. I was floored. And it wasn't just me that thought that. There is no way a simple recable can do that, but the owner (Tim Liu?) said so, so I guess I have to believe him. I'm recabling my ES10 soon, so let's see if it gets that much of an improvement.

Wait, mosesed96 did mention that there was something additional done to it.  I'm assuming you're referring to the one with the red and black cabling.  Anyway, he did mention that it wasn't just a simple re-cable, but that he didn't exactly know what was done to it internally.

Quote:
which is why the organizers have suggested for a while to set up smaller meets with fewer people to have quieter listening environments.  

Either that or brute force it by getting much larger venues.  Although, IIRC, the LAX Hilton was fairly spacious so as to provide a reasonable listening environment for everyone there.  The ambient noise was more easily dispersed.

Quote:

RE: the Mad Dogs -- I wish I tried the new Alpha pads after reading the impressions here. I heard them with the Dog Pads in SoCal and the mids were my issue with them, as well as bass control. Seems like the new pads address these issues.

Hey Quest, I just wanted to qualify my remarks a bit.  For me, it honestly was the three-way pairing of the Mad Dog, Alpha Pads, and the Meridian Explorer that floats my boat.  The combination of the three offered such focus, clarity and separation that - for the first time in a while - I find myself absolutely enamored with a specific listening experience.  It was such that, in listening to an HE-5LE via an O2 afterward, I felt the HE-5LE actually sounded congested in the mids.

Let me put it this way, I would consider the purchase of a Meridian Explorer (or other approximate) to be absolutely essential along with the purchase of the Mad Dog.  Just my two cents.

Feb 19, 2013 at 6:40 PM Post #129 of 225
Lol- in 3 out of 4 videos/pictures of me from the meet I am wearing MadDogs/modded T50RP in 3 different stations.  I think I was really curious about their sound..  In the other I was wearing HE-6 which I *loved*, I think that was the headphone of the meet for me.  I didn't listen to any Stax though, because I wanted to keep my auditioning (what did warrenpchi call it?) reality-based.   Yes, thanks uzi for the El Metate tip- you weren't kidding, the super chicken is the best burrito ever.  Thank you questhate, sanjosecanjunkie, aameford, vitok33, tiberiuspv, jazzfan and tdogzthmn for letting me whore out your headphones/gear beyond all bounds of decency.

size]

Feb 19, 2013 at 6:44 PM Post #130 of 225
Here are a few random pics.

The Alpha-Padded Mad Dog I heard were his, not the ones Dan had set up.

And here are some pics of mosesed96 and the modded T5p, along with the funky player (really a recorder) that he brought:

Feb 19, 2013 at 6:54 PM Post #131 of 225
Quote:
I didn't listen to any Stax though, because I wanted to keep my auditioning (what did warrenpchi call it?) reality-based.

Yup, I don't like listening to too much gear that is way outside of my budget.  Frankly, I have enough going on in my life right now that I don't need that extra torment.  Even with that, I broke my own rule and listened to an 007 last year in LA (big mistake). 
smile.gif
  Wasn't bound to repeat that this time around.

Also, my thanks to SanJoseCanJunkie and Anaxilus for the help in assessing my Grado Frankensteins, that was a big help... especially to SanJoseCanJunkie for the pad upgrade.

Feb 19, 2013 at 6:59 PM Post #132 of 225
I'm really glad I went, I figured out what my dream setup is
biggrin.gif

Feb 19, 2013 at 7:01 PM Post #133 of 225
Quote:

Aye!  Hey CEE TEE, were you the one manning the HeadRoom table at last year's LA Meet?  I remember being a little confused last year as someone said someone named Jorge was bringing stuff from HeadRoom.  I remember thinking you didn't look like a Jorge, but whatevs.  So when I saw you this time, I instinctively thought "hey there's that Jorge guy!"  Think I finally got it straight now, lol. 
biggrin.gif

Ha!  My volunteer job at the 2012 SoCal Meet was being Todd (TTVJ) because I had almost all of the Apex amps:  Peak/Arete/Butte (Pinnacle was with Voltron).

I didn't do a very good job of being "Jorge" when purrin and Anax left the HeadRoom table during the SoCal meet but I was "supposed" to be watching it. 
rolleyes.gif

This time I was Craig Uthus, Jr.  (Sounds like a NASCAR driver. 
cool.gif
)

Feb 19, 2013 at 7:49 PM Post #134 of 225
Quote:
biggrin.gif

If you're trying to build suspense, it's working.  Pray tell, what is your dream setup?  BTW, sorry you had to leave early.  FWIW, the table wasn't the same without you.

Also, small words of wisdom for any future attendees:  sharing a table with people is fun!

Quote:

Ha!  My volunteer job at the 2012 SoCal Meet was being Todd (TTVJ) because I had almost all of the Apex amps:  Peak/Arete/Butte (Pinnacle was with Voltron).

I didn't do a very good job of being "Jorge" when purrin and Anax left the HeadRoom table during the SoCal meet but I was "supposed" to be watching it. 
rolleyes.gif

This time I was Craig Uthus, Jr.  (Sounds like a NASCAR driver. 
cool.gif
)

Ah, my initial understanding is a perfect example of how a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing.  Well, glad to have finally "met" you - with an accurate idea of who I'm actually meeting!  I wonder who you'll be next time... someone from UE perhaps?

Feb 19, 2013 at 7:54 PM Post #135 of 225
Quote:
Quote:
biggrin.gif

If you're trying to build suspense, it's working.  Pray tell, what is your dream setup?  BTW, sorry you had to leave early.  FWIW, the table wasn't the same without you.

And it is a Sennheiser HD800 with a DNA Stratus. Too much $$!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back