2013 SF Bay Area (Changfest?) Meet Impressions Thread
Feb 18, 2013 at 9:55 PM Post #91 of 225
Thanks to everyone who organized this and made this happen. This is the first meet I've been to and I had a great time. I didn't set anything up since I just wanted to hop around and try my HE-500 on different setups, and share them whenever someone wanted to try them. I also got to spend some time on some Stax rigs (TMoney, Verber, raif) and got to enjoy their insane amount of detail. This was especially noticeable on orchestra/instrumental music and comparing to other headphones. I got to compare the HD800 to the Stax 007 and on casual listen were close on detail but the HD800 were brighter, and had a bit less bass. The planars (HE-6, HE-500, LCD2) have lushness and low end weight that was also very apparent after comparing to the Stax and HD800. 

The UERM was also really great, and it was tempting to get a pair with their discount. I forgot they had their whole lineup there and should have tried a few more models. Everyone was really nice, and it was great people brought out so much stuff to share and listen. Also, thanks to Uzi for bringing me lunch (El Matate!). 

Feb 18, 2013 at 10:08 PM Post #92 of 225
I told my wife about the TH900 and she offered to buy them for my birthday. Too bad it's way out in December... :triportsad:

Early (early!) birthday present??
Cross%20Fingers.gif

Feb 18, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #93 of 225
Quote:
Also, thanks to Uzi for bringing me lunch (El Matate!). 

No problem... I'm glad you liked it.

I told my wife about the TH900 and she offered to buy them for my birthday. Too bad it's way out in December... 
triportsad.gif

Nonetheless, she sounds like a keeper.

Feb 18, 2013 at 10:47 PM Post #94 of 225
Quote:
Thank you sir!

A no-handed, twin-canned selfie with your eyes closed?  What manner of sorcery is this? 
wink.gif

Note to anyone who may ever come across this modded T5p:  you owe yourself a listen.  If for no other reason that to be very, very surprised, 
smile.gif

You're welcome!

And yeah, that's my "hmm... they added unicorn dust to soothe the beast" stance. Seriously, that D7100 improved so much just by being plugged directly into my iPhone that... I couldn't believe it! It didn't act like that when plugged into the E12 or O2!

As for the T5P... agreed! Dang, I should have spent more time with those. E.S. Posthumus would have been awesome on them!

Feb 18, 2013 at 11:26 PM Post #95 of 225
While I spent most of the time holding court at one of the DIY and Stat tables and talking with people, I did get a chance to borrow a couple of headphones from other head-fi'ers and bring them back to my table to try out.

My impressions are pretty frank, but if you don't agree feel free to take them with a grain of salt.

Stax Sigma - Really a fun headphone. The soundstage is as huge as it is artificial, but it's a fun experience just the same. They are clearly lacking in technical prowess compared to the lambdas, but they are a very enjoyable listen and would be a fun complimentary 'phone to own even though the frequency response is a little compromised.

Stax Lambda 407 - While I like the sound quality of the Lambdas a whole lot, I don't really like how the headphones touch your ears while you have them on. Comfort is a big deal to me. If the pads were a little thicker and held the headphones a bit further off the ear I'd probably like them a lot more than I do.

Sennheiser HE60 - Great tonality. Clearly they have the Sennheiser sound to them. That is a very good thing in my book. They sound kind of like an electrostatic HD600. That being said, they don't hold a candle to the upper tier Stax 007s and 009s on the technicalities. For that reason, I found them overall to be disappointing given that used pairs are priced in the same ballpark as the (clearly better) 007s.

Koss ESP-950 - Hated these. I'll leave it at that.

Sennheiser HD800 - The best dynamic money can buy if you ask me. I used to own them before I went over to the dark side (stats). I love them as much now as I did back then. If you aren't bothered by their brightness they are THE dynamic to own, no question.

Audeze LCD3 - Another head-fi'er described them to me as "heavy on the head and heavy on the ear." I agree in both regards. They heavy on the head in the sense that they are a physically heavy headphone. Together with their LCD2 bretheren I've found the comfort on the LCDs headphones overall to be a deal-breaker. They are heavy on the ear in the sense that, while technically very good, they are weighted lower tonally than what I hear as neutral. The bass is great and well controlled, but it feels like a bit too much to me.

Mr. Speakers Mad Dog - Not bad for the money. I wish I had my similarly classed Sennheiser Amperiors with me to do a proper A/B. I liked how they isolated with the new ear pads, and I thought the control over the bass was very good. That being said, where'd the midrange go?

Stax 007mk1 and 007mk2 - A couple of great headphones. I had the chance to A/B the mk2s with a pair of mk1s and they are both great headphones. I thought the mk2s were a bit etched sounding up top but had better bass than the mk1s. I thought the mk1s had a smoother sound but were slightly lighter in the bass than the mk2s. Overall, I preferred the sound of the mk1s, but both are fantastic headphones. I wish I owned a pair, but it's hard to justify owning both a pair of 007s and 009s as they are very close.

Stax 009 - My own personal pair. While other headphones may be better than them with respect to one thing or another, there is no better overall package out there if you ask me. If you like them tonally, then they are the current King. I hear them as slightly more detailed and with slightly better bass than the 007s. I would often listen to other headphones and think "that sounds nice" only to put the 9s back on and think "but the 9s sound better". I've had them a over a year now and I've never been tempted to buy another headphone.

Last but not least are the AKG-K1000 - For what they do, they are something special. They are missing that bottom octave, but for something like acoustic guitar, strings or acoustic jazz they are a magical listen. The comfort bothers me, but these will always be one of my favorites.

Feb 18, 2013 at 11:34 PM Post #96 of 225
Quote:
Mr. Speakers Mad Dog - Not bad for the money. I wish I had my similarly classed Sennheiser Amperiors with me to do a proper A/B. I liked how they isolated with the new ear pads, and I thought the control over the bass was very good. That being said, where'd the midrange go?

Hey, I just want to chime in on this.

I experienced something similar at first. Plugged directly into my iPhone or into Dan's Lyr, they didn't particularly wow me. Way too warm, no high end, and very congested midrange that sounded nasal.

Then I went to room 6, and we had a listen with a different DAC... and wow, they totally changed. Clear as a bell. I snuck another listen with my C&C BH, and I could hear the same change: clear as a bell. Midrange became clearer, more articulated, while bass hit with just the right amount.

Dan also noted how they might be picky with what you plug them into, and... I'm inclined to agree. They really came alive with the right amp. Too bad I couldn't go back and try them with his Burson Conductor.

Feb 19, 2013 at 12:57 AM Post #97 of 225
Quote:
Quote:

A no-handed, twin-canned selfie with your eyes closed?  What manner of sorcery is this? 
wink.gif

And yeah, that's my "hmm... they added unicorn dust to soothe the beast" stance. Seriously, that D7100 improved so much just by being plugged directly into my iPhone that... I couldn't believe it! It didn't act like that when plugged into the E12 or O2!

HiFiGuy528 first pointed that phenomenon out to me a few days ago, and I do admit it is rather counter-intuitive.  I like my O2.  I enjoy my O2.  But that pairing of the O2 with the D7100 isn't exactly optimal.  The mids seem to drain away leaving too much junk in the badonkadonk.  So maybe that's the secret of the D7100?  They're $1,200 cans that are designed to be used with your dap (and your dap ONLY)?  Out of curiosity, what [music] were you auditioning the D7100 with?

Quote:

As for the T5P... agreed! Dang, I should have spent more time with those. E.S. Posthumus would have been awesome on them!

Now why didn't I think of that?

Quote:
Quote:

Hey, I just want to chime in on this.

Then I went to room 6, and we had a listen with a different DAC... and wow, they totally changed. Clear as a bell. I snuck another listen with my C&C BH, and I could hear the same change: clear as a bell. Midrange became clearer, more articulated, while bass hit with just the right amount.

Yeah, I'm inclined to agree with this.  When paired with the Meridian Explorer, everything came into focus.  You could say it became brighter (because it did), but that wasn't where the magic happened.  It was akin to putting on a pair of corrective lenses after a lifetime of blurred vision.  But I'm pretty sure that this is more of a reflection upon the Meridian than the Mad Dogs.

Feb 19, 2013 at 3:15 AM Post #98 of 225
Purrin, shipsupt, and Questhate: Thanks for getting everything going this year.  I had no idea that two of the three keeping this thing going were actually coming from out of town!

Feb 19, 2013 at 4:01 AM Post #99 of 225
GREAT MUSIC
GREAT SOUND
GREAT COMMUNITY

Even though I'm really happy with my portable and desktop rigs, it still feels like things are beginning & not ending...

Still want to hear more rigs, talk to more of you, & learn DIY!

THANK YOU to:
  1. those of you packing up the gear so we can learn from it and meet you...
  2. those of you coming out to listen to it.  Otherwise our efforts would be wasted...(what are your impressions?)
  3. those of you taking beautiful pictures (such as daigo & Bill-P).  I can never get enough of these shots (especially when they are that nice!)
  4. HiFiGuy528 for taking VIDEO (and I wish I came back to listen to that Meridian Explorer)
  1. Questhate for picking up the torch and doing LOTS of heavy lifting (table fit-testing/layout/assignments/signs/badges/front-desk/Single Malt)
  2. shipsupt for re-arranging life/a business trip to hang out with us & WORK the meet + host the suite! (AGAIN)  If you are in the UK, meet @ship while you can...
  3. purrin for taking the risk/initiative (remotely) + all of his time/efforts/contributions to the hobby for GOOD SOUND
  4. Anax for coming up + all of the behind-the-scenes earwork on HD800 and Super 7 mods (more people would dig this guy if they could hang out with him 
    wink_face.gif
    )
  5. those of you posting listening impressions (or what you're thinking)- please don't be afraid to post, because it is all "part of the journey" & just a snapshot 
    wink.gif

NOTE:  Something exciting is happening as the result of requesting an Ultimate Ears Personal Reference Monitors tuning-box in the Bay Area for us to check out...will be posting more details soon!

(Hmmm: @Shane55, missed you this time around!   Also missed: @bobcn.   ironbut & blessingx made it out!!!)

Feb 19, 2013 at 4:04 AM Post #100 of 225
CEE TEE thanks for the warm welcome when I made it up there, I was a little shy considering this is my first time packing all my stuff and taking it somewhere else, and it was really awesome once I got settled in!

Much thanks again to everybody involved in getting this together and all the members who brought their stuff and came to listen. Sorry my setup wasn't working!

Feb 19, 2013 at 5:11 AM Post #101 of 225
I'm finally home safely now, so I'd like to take the time to thank everyone who attended (it's you guys collectively who make these meets work), the vendors, those who anonymously donated larger sums in advance, everyone who helped out organizing this event, and even those (RH, MP, RD, etc.) who provided moral support (placebo motivating effect.)

Honestly, I didn't do much other than recover the fumble and move the ball past the 50 yard line. CT brought the ball into the red zone. And QH pushed it in for the touchdown. Thanks to SHIP for lifting and unpacking and packing a bunch of Schiit.

Seeing the massive interest this year, I think it was very difficult for us organizers to simply sit on the sidelines and let this thing not happen. I know a few of you have expressed interest in organizing future meets (and have the experience and credentials to pull it off), so maybe we can pass the torch for next year. The usual suspects (Aarrr!) will always be willing to lend a hand.

The only thing I would say to anyone who would be considering organizing future meets is to ask yourself the question "Why I am doing it". I'm know I'm getting all serious now and may come off as some sort of jerk, but this is an important question to answer. Putting successful meets like this together ultimately becomes a matter of resolve and self-sacrifice. Being a "organizer" is simply a function - providing a service to others. The recognition one receives is nice, but secondary, or even completely irrelevant when the boots need to hit the ground. So those who are super excited or gung-ho about being the next "great meet organizer", please carefully consider the reasons why you want to do this. (BTW, I don't think anyone I met who expressed serious interest to help out in the future is like this.)

The preliminary numbers are a surplus of $145. I carried over $150 from the H3 meet in LA last year, so basically we broke even. I can breath a sigh of relief about this, since this meet seem to keep growing and growing at such short notice. Anyways, I'm going to suggest that this surplus be used for an upcoming meet in SoCal just to return the favor. I have no idea what form, date, size, etc. at this time.

Feb 19, 2013 at 5:22 AM Post #102 of 225
The only thing I would say to anyone who would be considering organizing future meets is to ask yourself the question "Why I am doing it". I'm know I'm getting all serious now and may come off as some sort of jerk, but this is an important question to answer. Putting successful meets like this together ultimately becomes a matter of resolve and self-sacrifice. Being a "organizer" is simply a function - providing a service to others. The recognition one receives is nice, but secondary, or even completely irrelevant when the boots need to hit the ground. So those who are super excited or gung-ho about being the next "great meet organizer", please carefully consider the reasons why you want to do this. (BTW, I don't think anyone I met who expressed serious interest to help out in the future is like this.)

Well said.

Feb 19, 2013 at 8:41 AM Post #103 of 225
Reading this I want to fly out there one day to attend one of the meets. If only I could find a cheap ticket...

Feb 19, 2013 at 10:45 AM Post #105 of 225
Quote:
I slept on it and decided that I couldn't wait anymore to get the Mad Dog.  Just placed my order.  Hope it arrives by Friday. :)

You liked it that much?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back