2012 CanJam @ RMAF (Rocky Mountain Audio Fest) -- Come and hang out with thousands of fellow audio enthusiasts!
Aug 30, 2012 at 4:24 PM Post #61 of 222
yup, it might cost you a bunch to attend. but it might also save you a small fortune in buying and trying different things. and it'll be a blast! it can be a great vacation, especially if you have a little time to spend checking out the nearby natural beauty, like rocky mountain national park.

Yeah i have family in the states i might go to canjam next year.

Aug 30, 2012 at 11:23 PM Post #63 of 222
Even for us in the States it can be a long trip....1770 km for me. Worth the trip though!

Aug 31, 2012 at 12:40 AM Post #64 of 222
There's a decent chance that I'll attend again this year. I definitely want to check out whatever speakers Monitor Audio will have there, if nothing else, but all the headphone gear will be a great bonus too of course. I'm not expecting another out-of-town trip interruption this time.
smile.gif

A note to those new to the "CanJam@RMAF" event - this kind of event isn't a "meet" per se. Essentially, that means no one needs to bring any gear. If you bring anything, bring your own music (CDs, DAP, USB devices, etc). Maybe, at most, your 1 pair of headphones so you can listen to it from different amps. Other than that, there's really no need for anyone to bring a single thing. And I'm including local Colorado Head-Fiers in that too. Seriously. Last year there wasn't enough space for member rigs, so don't even bother. Just come and enjoy the show.

CanJam@RMAF is a 100% vendor expo. The vendors will have ALL of the gear, and it will be more than anyone can imagine. Those who've been to any size meet, even big ones, should think of CanJam@RMAF as being an extra-big "meet", except that all of the gear in the room is supplied by the vendors - NOT by any Head-Fi members. Then, triple the size you're thinking of. Yes, it's really that big.

Another note for those who might plan on "seeing Colorado" at the same time as RMAF: don't count on great weather. Some years have been lucky, but the time of year that RMAF usually falls on, usually means rain (more rarely snow), and the fall colors in the mountains will be long gone by then too (especially since they seem to be showing up early this year). For those coming out of town, I'd recommend packing a t-shirt (no shorts) and light rain jacket.

Quote:
pff the cost to go there is €800... that a HD700

Not to make a case against your post specifically, but this attitude in general completely undermines the benefit of an event like this. Ok sure, your travel costs might be the same as buying an HD700.

But think of it this way instead: the cost of buying an HD700 will let you hear an HD700 at the show. And the Stax SR-009 on the HeadAmp Blue Hawaii SE. And the Audeze LCD-3 & LCD-2, Fostex TH900, V-Moda M-100, everything HeadRoom, TTVJ, and Moon Audio bring (which itself is practically three stores' supply of different manufacturers' headphones, amps, & sources), Westone's many IEMs, most of the Cavalli, Ray Samuels, and Woo Audio amps, the latest Beyerdynamic headphones, and all sorts of other gear too numerous to list. And you don't just get to listen to all of that gear either - it's also an opportunity to meet those vendors and ask them questions. And you can ask any questions to other Head-Fiers who'll be there too.

You can spend all day or the rest of your lifetime reading about stuff on Head-Fi, but until you actually get to an event like this, you'll never hear for yourself the variety of equipment that's being written about. It's an opportunity to hear, in a single place, everything you read about on Head-Fi. And that knowledge you gain after hearing something for yourself will give you even more knowledge so you can compare other people's experiences with your own.

The attitude that a lot of people have when comparing travel costs to headphone gear is something I don't get. If you're saying that you can't afford to travel, that's something I can understand. But comparing the travel costs to headphone gear, as if the headphone gear is somehow more affordable or makes more sense? Buying the headphone gear makes a lot less sense. The cost of an HD700 will get you only an HD700 (which you might not even like), or it can get you from your location to RMAF where you can hear countless other headphones, IEMs, amps, sources, etc. And all of that, in addition to RMAF itself - where you can hear countless more equipment in the form of ridiculously expensive speakers, amplifiers, turntables, and more. And all of that on your own music or music you're hopefully familiar with. If all of that isn't worth the cost of an HD700 to you, or anyone else, then I don't know how else to persuade any fence-sitters.

And for those who need it, the impressions thread from last year's event, which includes photos: http://www.head-fi.org/t/575847/canjam-rmaf-2011-listening-impressions-thread

Aug 31, 2012 at 1:48 AM Post #65 of 222
that, in expanded form, is what i was getting at in my post. thanks for clarifying that, Steve.

Aug 31, 2012 at 6:17 AM Post #67 of 222
There's a decent chance that I'll attend again this year. I definitely want to check out whatever speakers Monitor Audio will have there, if nothing else, but all the headphone gear will be a great bonus too of course. I'm not expecting another out-of-town trip interruption this time. :smile:

A note to those new to the "CanJam@RMAF" event - this kind of event isn't a "meet" per se. Essentially, that means no one needs to bring any gear. If you bring anything, bring your own music (CDs, DAP, USB devices, etc). Maybe, at most, your 1 pair of headphones so you can listen to it from different amps. Other than that, there's really no need for anyone to bring a single thing. And I'm including local Colorado Head-Fiers in that too. Seriously. Last year there wasn't enough space for member rigs, so don't even bother. Just come and enjoy the show.

CanJam@RMAF is a 100% vendor expo. The vendors will have ALL of the gear, and it will be more than anyone can imagine. Those who've been to any size meet, even big ones, should think of CanJam@RMAF as being an extra-big "meet", except that all of the gear in the room is supplied by the vendors - NOT by any Head-Fi members. Then, triple the size you're thinking of. Yes, it's really that big.

Another note for those who might plan on "seeing Colorado" at the same time as RMAF: don't count on great weather. Some years have been lucky, but the time of year that RMAF usually falls on, usually means rain (more rarely snow), and the fall colors in the mountains will be long gone by then too (especially since they seem to be showing up early this year). For those coming out of town, I'd recommend packing a t-shirt (no shorts) and light rain jacket.

Not to make a case against your post specifically, but this attitude in general completely undermines the benefit of an event like this. Ok sure, your travel costs might be the same as buying an HD700.

But think of it this way instead: the cost of buying an HD700 will let you hear an HD700 at the show. And the Stax SR-009 on the HeadAmp Blue Hawaii SE. And the Audeze LCD-3 & LCD-2, Fostex TH900, V-Moda M-100, everything HeadRoom, TTVJ, and Moon Audio bring (which itself is practically three stores' supply of different manufacturers' headphones, amps, & sources), Westone's many IEMs, most of the Cavalli, Ray Samuels, and Woo Audio amps, the latest Beyerdynamic headphones, and all sorts of other gear too numerous to list. And you don't just get to listen to all of that gear either - it's also an opportunity to meet those vendors and ask them questions. And you can ask any questions to other Head-Fiers who'll be there too.

You can spend all day or the rest of your lifetime reading about stuff on Head-Fi, but until you actually get to an event like this, you'll never hear for yourself the variety of equipment that's being written about. It's an opportunity to hear, in a single place, everything you read about on Head-Fi. And that knowledge you gain after hearing something for yourself will give you even more knowledge so you can compare other people's experiences with your own.

The attitude that a lot of people have when comparing travel costs to headphone gear is something I don't get. If you're saying that you can't afford to travel, that's something I can understand. But comparing the travel costs to headphone gear, as if the headphone gear is somehow more affordable or makes more sense? Buying the headphone gear makes a lot less sense. The cost of an HD700 will get you only an HD700 (which you might not even like), or it can get you from your location to RMAF where you can hear countless other headphones, IEMs, amps, sources, etc. And all of that, in addition to RMAF itself - where you can hear countless more equipment in the form of ridiculously expensive speakers, amplifiers, turntables, and more. And all of that on your own music or music you're hopefully familiar with. If all of that isn't worth the cost of an HD700 to you, or anyone else, then I don't know how else to persuade any fence-sitters.

And for those who need it, the impressions thread from last year's event, which includes photos: http://www.head-fi.org/t/575847/canjam-rmaf-2011-listening-impressions-thread

I'd come but i think i have school then :s

Sep 2, 2012 at 12:55 AM Post #68 of 222
This will be my first Canjam and I'm really looking forward to it. I've been out of High End for 20+ years and recently went to the Newport Beach The Show. That was two hotels. Is this show alot bigger in size? Made my reservations months ago and was lucky to get reservations at the Marriott before they sold out. I'm in the market for a good DAC for my headphones.

Sep 2, 2012 at 9:58 AM Post #69 of 222
Sounds familiar. I also took an extended hiatus from high end and am just getting back in the fray! See you in Denver.

Sep 2, 2012 at 12:08 PM Post #70 of 222
Quote:
This will be my first Canjam and I'm really looking forward to it. I've been out of High End for 20+ years and recently went to the Newport Beach The Show. That was two hotels. Is this show alot bigger in size? Made my reservations months ago and was lucky to get reservations at the Marriott before they sold out. I'm in the market for a good DAC for my headphones.

RMAF is quite big...think CES.

Sep 4, 2012 at 6:00 AM Post #72 of 222
Quote:

RMAF is not bigger than T.H.E Show Newport.  Now Richard Beers does a terrific job w/ T.H.E Show (originally as al alternative to the high performance audio show at CES - and Richard is AWESOME) but RMAF has a vibe, IMO, unlike any audio convention I have ever attended anywhere else - and I've attended plenty!!  

I used to call it the Grateful Dead concert of audio shows.  I didn't mean the dirty hippy part (but hell, got my stripes in that department shortly before Jerry died).  I was trying to describe the feeling of friendship, honor, just a mutual respect and admiration from alot of heavy audio hitters-  that you just don't see too often.  It's actually more like a rave now that I think about it: Some inhibitions seemed to be stripped away from some people I know well.  People just chill out, and they can easily geek-out too, but its just more relaxed, over all I find.

I love it.  Marjorie is a fantastic woman, and I'm honored to call her my friend.  And Jude has been ROCKIN' IT!!  I will ALWAYS have a terrific memory that's tied to Head-fi and RMAF: When I had a panel (I think it was in 2010) about Embracing the Industries Future, and I got Jude up there.  He was shy, but I told him he was a rockstar.  He brought it there, and now look what he's doing.  What ALL OF YOU are doing.

It's amazing - and the feeling at RMAF captures that too I think.

Sep 6, 2012 at 1:23 PM Post #73 of 222
Quote:
There's a decent chance that I'll attend again this year. I definitely want to check out whatever speakers Monitor Audio will have there, if nothing else, but all the headphone gear will be a great bonus too of course. I'm not expecting another out-of-town trip interruption this time.
smile.gif

Larry and I were the only two members that brought anything last year.  This year I think I agree with you, and I'll leave my stuff at home (though I'll probably have a headphone amp in my hotel room).  My best stuff is from HifiMan and Cavalli, and they are both going to be at the show.  So my gear is essentially redundant anyway.  It's also kinda nice to be able to roam the show and listen to gear without worrying about what's up at the member table.

That implies, BTW, that I will definitely be there again this year.  I already have show and hotel reservations.

Cheers,

Harley.

Sep 6, 2012 at 2:12 PM Post #74 of 222
Harley and Steve (and all others), I'm excited you guys will be making it out!

Yes, the CanJam room (Rocky Mountain Event Center) is absolutely full with exhibitors. I usually bring a rig to show, but the only room for my equipment in the CanJam room will be for whatever portable stuff I'm carrying around with me.

Of course, anyone who wants to welcome a few friends into his hotel room for socializing may consider bring some stuff to share, which is something I may do.

I'll update the exhibitor list today (in the post that opens this thread).

Sep 6, 2012 at 6:45 PM Post #75 of 222
Harley and Steve (and all others), I'm excited you guys will be making it out!

Yes, the CanJam room (Rocky Mountain Event Center) is absolutely full with exhibitors. I usually bring a rig to show, but the only room for my equipment in the CanJam room will be for whatever portable stuff I'm carrying around with me.

Of course, anyone who wants to welcome a few friends into his hotel room for socializing may consider bring some stuff to share, which is something I may do.

I'll update the exhibitor list today (in the post that opens this thread).

252 bags won't make it till the Saturdy evrnt :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back