2011 HeadFi Meet Will Be Hosted In...........
Aug 8, 2010 at 2:14 PM Post #5 of 36
I guess time will tell!
Hardly any surprise if it will take place in the US next year as well, as usual. Although I would not mind it to take place in Europe...

Aug 9, 2010 at 1:39 AM Post #10 of 36
I would enjoy an opportunity to help organize Can Jam in Phoenix. We have wonderful winter weather, nice resorts, and a large international airport. Unfortunately it's been difficult motivating the local residents to chime in for a mini-meet let alone an event such as Can Jam.
rolleyes.gif

Aug 9, 2010 at 1:43 PM Post #11 of 36
I don't believe having Can-Jam in Europe is viable, There's no-place that has a large enough local contingent and convenient enough to support one. It's why only a few areas in the US can hope to support a viable National Meet.

If you look at the percentage of European members who traveled to the US for Can-Jam and then extrapolated the number of US members that would travel to Europe for a Headphone gathering it becomes clear that it's not viable. Even if you took Can-Jams attendance as a Percentage of US Head-Fi membership and then extrapolated out potential attendance based on Head-Fi's European membership it also becomes clear that it's not viable.

I for one would like to see a European Headphone Meet. I might actually come to it. I'm not willing to spend the $1000+ it would take for me to go to a Chicago, or California meet. I've been both places many times, whereas my travels in Europe have been limited, so a European Meet could be part of a larger sight seeing trip.

A NY meet is an altogether different thing. Like many I can drive, so the costs will be minimal. I'll bring equipment and probably help out as well, although unfortunately I live far enough away that I can't really be much help organizing.

Aug 9, 2010 at 10:20 PM Post #12 of 36
Quote:
I don't believe having Can-Jam in Europe is viable, There's no-place that has a large enough local contingent and convenient enough to support one. It's why only a few areas in the US can hope to support a viable National Meet.

Agreed with Yikes. There are certainly a good number of Euro members, but you guys are spread out as much as we are in the US, and with less total members to draw from. Apart from the British meets I haven't really seen a large scale Euro meet to date, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Something you guys could do however, is organize a pan-Euro meet similar to our CanJam so you have your own big time show, and if it really gets big a Euro CanJam isn't impossible to see.

Also as Yikes mentioned there's only a few places in the US that can handle a CanJam. You'd think a place like Dallas would be a great destination to a hub of headphone enthusiasts, but there just isn't much draw for even local meets. NYC, one of the major California cities (usually LA), Chicago,and Florida are the only places with enough support that have been tested. And Chicago turned out to be not quite as good as they hoped, Chicago! Part of this is because many members (from both coasts) had to fly in for the meet and couldn't bring their own gear. Having the meet on one coast or another allows at least one side to furnish most of the goodies.

See nmaher's post here giving his take on EU CanJam http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/323459/canjam-09#post_4182547 I don't agree with his statement about vendors, however. Many of our best headphones are Euro based. I believe with Ultrasone, Beyerdynamic, Sennheiser, AKG, and others right in your backyard you would find ample support. Depending on just how gung-ho the previously mentioned companies would be about a large EU meet, perhaps your vendor support could completely eclipse US vendor support.

Where were all the previous meets? This search engine in Huddler is beyond atrocious so I couldn't locate 2006, but I'm going to guess it was NYC.

2006 - NYC (?)
2007 - San Jose
2008 - Florida
2009 - LA
2010 - Chicago

Looking like time to hit up NYC again.

I will say that the Carolinas tend to have good big meets and might be a possibility, but you might run into the Chicago problem of NY/LA people flying in without gear. Also, Europeans, at this point, I believe Asia has a leg up on you in getting a CanJam anyways. They've at least proven they can host large meets (Hong Kong, Austraila, etc). The cost to get there is a bit pricier, but I see them as closer than EU, quite frankly.

Aug 10, 2010 at 3:49 AM Post #13 of 36
Sure, I understand all the points.
Us Europeans need to show that we can host a large meeting before we even can take on something as big as an International Head-Fi meeting.

That does not take away the fact that I would like one over here though. Cause as Maxvla pointed out long flights lead to people flying in without gear.

Aug 10, 2010 at 4:50 PM Post #14 of 36
Kai,

If you want something done I have found it to do it yourself. I really wanted a can jam event in my hometown and with others we did something about it. All it ales is some motivated individuals to get it done. If you want it done then go do it. A Europe major event would be awesome but it is going to take some dedicated and talented individuals to get the job done.

Aug 11, 2010 at 3:15 AM Post #15 of 36

Quote:
Kai,

If you want something done I have found it to do it yourself. I really wanted a can jam event in my hometown and with others we did something about it. All it ales is some motivated individuals to get it done. If you want it done then go do it. A Europe major event would be awesome but it is going to take some dedicated and talented individuals to get the job done.

Sure! But being pretty much the only Head-Fier in Oslo, or even Norway, that is quite a task.
With a team of at least 5 it might have been possible to get something going.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back