2010 College Football Thread
Jan 7, 2011 at 1:13 AM Post #826 of 928
Props to Luck for coming back to finish his degree! IIRC, he's in architectural engineering - a tough major. I have a soft spot for scholar/atheletes and he is setting a wonderful example. Good kid and I wish him the best. It would be nice to see Stanford pick up a Heisman next year, as well.

I don't know if Harbaugh is coming back. There was a report today saying that he was headed off to coach the Dolphins. Can't blame him if he does - something like $7M+ a year, according to the reports. Though it would be nice to have him back to field another great team in the Pac-10, er, 12.

Jan 7, 2011 at 3:46 AM Post #827 of 928
If Harbaugh leaves with Luck staying that's going to be one coveted job opening at Stanford. Not just a Heisman opportunity but a shot at the BCS crown as well. Dolphins, huh? I will definitely be pulling for the 49ers. Last I read Harbaugh had said he was okay with Baalke as GM, but wouldn't mind bringing in Lombardi for the job either.

edit: Breaking News! Here's an update to "Harbaugh Hysteria":

"Jim Harbaugh, a one-man coaching carousel, left the football world spinning Thursday. The 49ers are back in the mix. So is Stanford. The Denver Broncos are in the Harbaugh running, too. But the Miami Dolphins, a purported lock to land Harbaugh in the morning, were completely out of the sweepstakes by nightfall. The Associated Press, Fox Sports and ESPN all reported late Thursday that the Dolphins have decided to retain current coach Tony Sparano."

How quickly things change. Evidently Elway is going "all in" in pursuit...

Jan 7, 2011 at 8:40 AM Post #828 of 928
There was an article in the Tribune this morning that Michigan used a third party to reach out to NU's Pat Fitzgerald to see if he was interested in the UM HC job.  Supposedly, Fitz said no.  Good for Fitz - I hope that's true!  We need him to be our JoPa.

Jan 7, 2011 at 9:53 AM Post #829 of 928
Well Ryan Mallet is headed to the NFL.  Got a feeling that Luck staying at Stanford had to improve Mallet's position in the draft.  Will miss him but am honestly excited to see what next year brings with our young QB string.  Wilson will most likely be our starter, but the other two kids are going to give him some needed competition.  I'm not worried because if Petrino recruited them, they are going to be damn good.  He knows a good QB when he sees one.  Have a lot of good recruits coming in so the future is looking good for my Hogs.  Will also say this, watch out for the Vols and the MS Bulldogs next year.  They are on their way back.  Would not suprise me at all if the Vols are a strong contender for the SEC east champ in the next year or two

Jan 7, 2011 at 11:16 AM Post #830 of 928
Homer time!

Well, as you guys should know, OU is loaded and barring injuries, *knock on wood* will be a legitimate MNC contender next year. We'll know a lot early since, the Sooners head off to Talllahassee early, for what should be one of the bigger OoC matchups.

On the subject of the Seminoles, those in recruiting circles, know that FSU has really lit up the trail the last few years. They're gong to be a regular top ten inhabitant soon enough.

--

I guess I'm the only one interested in the game tonight? Guess most feel it's a mismatch. Well, I hope it's at least a good game. We're running out of football.

Also, the play for pay boys begin tournament football this weekend. Colts/Jets, Packers/Eagle are two juicy matchups. I have an elevated pulse for those two games. 

Jan 7, 2011 at 11:40 AM Post #831 of 928
I'm pretty psyched for tonight's game!  It's nice to have a major bowl still before the NCG.  I think LSU takes it, but I do expect a good game.

Jan 7, 2011 at 5:10 PM Post #833 of 928
If you like twitch muscle, LSU is one to watch. As I say every year, athletes all over the field. One other team that really impressed was Bamar. Man against the Spartans, they reminded me of some of those past mid-decade USC teams. The Trojans on the same field, would make everyone else appear like JV squads. Bama has about reached that point. I also liked the Bucks. Another big time program that has built layers and layers of athletes. Ohio State has sprayed the league with players. 

Jan 7, 2011 at 6:33 PM Post #834 of 928
So Harbaugh is a 49er, following in the footsteps of his hero Bill Walsh. In other football news there is a sweet HC opening in Palo Alto, tonight's contest could be a good one, and the road teams should sweep Wild-Card Weekend. That about sums it up for me, except if the Kraft bowl isn't a close one either virometal or myself is going to look a bit silly!

Jan 7, 2011 at 6:49 PM Post #835 of 928
So both Stanford and Michigan now need head coaches. I wonder who UM will get. I doubt Miles will go from LSU to UM. I think the Wolverines will have to look to a highly regarded Coordinator from an NFL team. I'm not sure there is a good current HC alternative from another FBS school.

I'm going to start watching the FCS championship in a few mins. I'm going with the Blue Hens :)

Jan 8, 2011 at 6:51 PM Post #836 of 928
grokit:
 isn't a close one either virometal or myself is going to look a bit silly!

Heh, you're joking right? It's just a pick. I'm wrong all the time.At least we made some bold predictions instead of hedging like an Ohio Senator, as some do. Relatedly, as of today, #1, #2, & #3 on the pick 'em are now locked. We're playing out the string for pride boys. I'll still post the official results of course.

Apparently Seatlle didn't receive the memo that the Saints were supposed to win. Let's see if old Brees can summone something up, or maybe the Saint's D more appropriately.

Jan 8, 2011 at 10:24 PM Post #837 of 928
Yeah there goes my parlay! Joking on both counts. Seattle must have been pumped up from winning with the rookie last week, they played their best game yet under Carroll.

As far as our picks here go, I made it back to .500 briefly after the Sugar Bowl, now I am in the red again but there's still a chance that I will come out of this in the black if I get the last two. That is really all I could hope for after the way I finished out 2010...

edit: I'm back at .500 even though the Eagles really came to play. Woohoo! Now it's fittingly up to my temporary avatar to push me over the top.

Jan 11, 2011 at 12:19 AM Post #838 of 928
Mmm, that was pretty sloppy, poorly played game.  This game further proved why a playoff system is really needed.  I think TCU, Standford and a couple other teams could have beat either of these teams in a playoff game.  Four or five years from now when NCAA sanctions are handed out to Auburn, this game might not have even been played
rolleyes.gif

Jan 11, 2011 at 12:21 AM Post #839 of 928

Quote:
Mmm, that was pretty sloppy, poorly played game.  This game further proved why a playoff system is really needed.  I think TCU, Standford and a couple other teams could have beet either of these teams in a playoff game.  Four or five years from now when NCAA sanctions are handed out to Auburn, this game might not have even been played
rolleyes.gif

Agreed. I was quite disappointed. Pretty bad timeout usage from Oregon at the end there too...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back