2010 College Football Thread
Jan 5, 2011 at 11:15 AM Post #811 of 928
I think the safety call was 100% right on.  Herron, had he gone down when his initial progress was stopped, would have had forward progress to the 3.  But he broke that tackle, was clearly shown on replay to be free of defenders for a split second, and then was re-tackled again in the end zone.  Safety.  No doubt, good call.

Jan 5, 2011 at 11:18 AM Post #812 of 928
yes, viro.  that call was critical.  and seemed odd because it went against the norm.
however, he broke free of the first tackler, and made one step of his own will.
usually, that is overlooked.  but this time, that one step of freedom before he was tackled cost them 2 points.

that was one awesome game.
and, another one that i picked wrong. 
biggrin.gif

Jan 5, 2011 at 12:07 PM Post #814 of 928

Quote:
I think the safety call was 100% right on.  Herron, had he gone down when his initial progress was stopped, would have had forward progress to the 3.  But he broke that tackle, was clearly shown on replay to be free of defenders for a split second, and then was re-tackled again in the end zone.  Safety.  No doubt, good call.

I'm not saying it was a bad call but 9 times out of 10 the referees rule the runner had forward progress. He was stood up at the 2 or 3 then pushed back 2 yards deep into the endzone. It was at that point that he came free and released himself from the defender. An argument could be made for letting the guys play and force someone to make a play. My only point is that in general that's not how that sort of play is generally refereed. AFAIC some of the rules are a bit nit picky for my tastes. To my way of thinking that kid that seemingly scored a touchdown at the beginning of the game actually scored a tochdown. Hand wrist who gives a rats ass the guy never touched the ground. Same thing with Stoneburners catch later in the game. Caught the ball but his knee touched the ground, BFD no defender touched him. It's football not figure skating.

Arkansas dropped some passses last night but they also made some plays, the safety, the blocked punt, etc. A couple of Mallets touchdown passes were things of beauty. It was a great game and as a Buckeye fan I'm damn glad to come out on the winning side of a game like that.

Jan 5, 2011 at 2:17 PM Post #816 of 928
I wouldn't rule Harbaugh as out just yet, although I'm sure there are NFL teams lining up at his door, no doubt.

Jan 5, 2011 at 2:40 PM Post #818 of 928

Quote:
If he really has a shot at SF why in the world would he want to go to Michigan.  With that job he wouldn't even have to move plus the money would have to be better.

Oh I totally agree with that.  It's a no brainer to take the 49ers job - assuming they offer it to him.  And why wouldn't they? 

But...stranger things have happened...

Jan 5, 2011 at 3:22 PM Post #819 of 928

Quote:
Any opinions on who Michigan will go after since it appears JH is a no go.  I hope it isn't Les.  I enjoy having him in the SEC. 

I had written out a response why Harbaugh would be better off going to Michigan, but then I saw where he's already meeting with 49ers. I guess he can always get another college job if the NFL doesn't work out the way he wants it to.

Anyhow, like I posted earlier, Les Miles' name is bound to be involved, especially with the rumors earlier in the CFB season that he wanted out of Baton Rouge. Gary Patterson would be a great pickup, also. Finally, I dont doubt that Bob Stoops will get mentioned as a main target. In fact, I'm surprised there's not already a newspaper somewhere reporting that he's the next wolverine HC.

Jan 5, 2011 at 3:32 PM Post #820 of 928
^ Have you heard that 28 has decided to return? Yeah baybee! :D

I think Lester, The Hat is a perfect fit for Michigan. J H is hot and pretty. But the Lester is a daggum great college coach, that will take on any sucker and overnight bring back some swagger to Ann Arbor. Personally I love the guy. Hope he is offered and accepts.

Jan 6, 2011 at 9:17 AM Post #822 of 928
Read an article on one of the sports news sites yesterday that left me scratching my head.  The guy stated that Arkansas fans should feel cheated because the Ohio State players were allowed to play in the bowl game. He went on to explain how we would surely have won if they hadn't You would think that a sports "expert" would understand that a win against a teams second best is like taking your sister to the prom.  When you go to a BCS bowl you deserve to face the best the other team has to offer.  Anything less wouldn't be worth watching. I have yet to here any of my fellow Hog fans complain about those five getting to play.  They were taking polls on local stations before the game and over 90% said let them play.  Some people just don't get it.

Jan 6, 2011 at 12:26 PM Post #823 of 928
"Harbaugh is likely to be hired as the 49ers’ head coach, possibly as soon as tomorrow night, the source said."

On another topic, I find it hard to believe that BC is only a 7.5 point underdog in the Kraft bowl. I know that they are on a roll and have the nation's top run defense, but look at who those five teams are that BC beat at the end. IMO the line should be twice that, I'm calling this one Reno by 20+. I like BC, and since the Flutie days at least they have performed pretty well in bowl games. But the Wolfpack is a proud and storied program in their own right, and they are having their best year ever. That's right, 20+.

Jan 6, 2011 at 2:14 PM Post #824 of 928
I'm the only person that picked BC. I'll either be a complete fool or a total genius. That's way I like it. No guts, no glory, as they say. I am also the only one on aTm. Yep, that's some balls or stupidity right there folks. 

For the former, it was a blind pick. I have barely watched either this year. I ended up on the Eagles because of their mentioned run defense, plus their high ranking in TO margin. I usually pick D over O in bowls and think too many people overlook T/O margin. Also, Nevada has a buzz about them. As professional gamblers like to say, when everyone is on one side, go the other way. Total genius or complete fool, like I said.

J W:
Now we wait for RB to make his decision.

I don't feel very good there. But there is one guy on another board. You know the dude that has a third cousin that is friends with 85's newspaper boy. This dude has staked his rep that 85 will return. Hope he's right! *fingers crossed*

Jan 7, 2011 at 12:05 AM Post #825 of 928

Users who are viewing this thread

Back