2010 College Football Thread
Nov 8, 2010 at 8:56 AM Post #481 of 928

Quote:
Even the sun shines on a dog's butt every once in a while. Conversationally and in no way bragging, I tried to make money by consistently betting for about five years. Two were okay.
biggrin.gif
Let's just say, that Vegas doesn't build those fancy hotels, because guys like me can outsmart them.

JW:

Yeah, where is our buddy Maxvla? If MIssouri chapped him so bad, I couldn't imagine last night! One could woulda shoulda that thing to death.

I believe OU does still control its Big 12 destiny, because the Aggies have three overall losses. Should OU win out and Aggieland not lose, then it will be a three way tie for the South. The Sooners should win the tiebreaker in that scenario. 

Now, whether this OU team can win in Stillwater is perhaps the bigger question, plus whether aTm can defeat Nebraska. 

Other than that, I was busy and didn't get to catch a lot of games yesterday. *shrug*

I can never stay on top of the tie breakers. And I actually like OSU to lose in Austin. But you're right, there's a lot of ifs left to the Big 12 South. Aggies go to Waco, too, where Baylor usually plays them closely.

Nov 8, 2010 at 11:33 AM Post #482 of 928
Really? I've thought about the same thing about Oke State. I just wonder if Texas has any fight left this season. Things are not good in Austin right now. I read things like "divided locker room," "divided coaching staff." etc. Their offense is all sorts of pitiful, and as a result the D has cashed it in too. 

One thing about the Cowboys - it's all butterflies and rainbows to be the hunter, to be the team with nothing to lose. Well now State is the team that has to carry the big downside. They will be favored against Texas (right now -6.5 in Austin!), for the first time in a bajillion years. Relatedly, no other team has symbolized OkSU's recent second tier status more, with all the close, heartbreaking  losses over the last decade. The fans always want to win, but they REALLY want to beat Texas. Big picture, the Cowboys lead the South, with seemingly all winnable games left. There is an interesting periphery to a game that otherwise would be rather ho hum. 

Nov 8, 2010 at 12:09 PM Post #483 of 928
It seems to me that TCU got the bump over BSU because of their impressive win over the Utes.  I might be the only one that feels this way, but when a #4 team beats a #5 that damn bad on the road, do you think the #5 team might have been grossly overrated?  It wasn't just a defeat, it was an old fashioned ass kicking.

I laughed at what they said about the SEC being down this year last night on ESPN's BSC show.  Seven teams in the BCS top 25 this week.  How is that "down"?  For the life of me though, I sure can't see how the Gators made it back in.  Three losses and not one quality win to speak of.  Does not make sense to me.

Nov 8, 2010 at 7:33 PM Post #484 of 928

Quote:
Gotta love how the numbers work at the BCS...  We (MSU) are ranked 10, 10, and 9 in the pols and computers, respectively.  That results in a placement of 11th in the rankings....  Granted, only a tiny margin behind Oklahoma State.

Not complaining, it's not like it really matters.  It all depends on how the Big Ten plays out.

Penn State is starting to impress me.  It might be our second toughest game of the season after at Iowa.

They will probably beat Boise into a bowl esp. if they win out.

Nov 8, 2010 at 8:03 PM Post #485 of 928
Quote:
It seems to me that TCU got the bump over BSU because of their impressive win over the Utes.  I might be the only one that feels this way, but when a #4 team beats a #5 that damn bad on the road, do you think the #5 team might have been grossly overrated?  It wasn't just a defeat, it was an old fashioned ass kicking.

I laughed at what they said about the SEC being down this year last night on ESPN's BSC show.  Seven teams in the BCS top 25 this week.  How is that "down"?  For the life of me though, I sure can't see how the Gators made it back in.  Three losses and not one quality win to speak of.  Does not make sense to me.

I feel the same way. It will take a lot more for me to 'accept' TCU or BSU as a true contender for the national title. I think the Utah game kinda showed the inherent weakness of some non-BCS teams. TCU was impressive regardless but I'm not sure whether Utah was actually good or not based on their weak schedule. I'm leaning heavily towards the latter.

I do think the SEC is a little down this year. You don't have the ridiculous teams that we've had in the past couple of years (LSU, Georiga, Florida, and Alabama). All of the SEC teams this year seem to have an obvious weakness whereas the last couple of years the SEC leaders had been very balanced and strong on all sides of the ball.

Nov 9, 2010 at 5:37 AM Post #486 of 928

Quote:
Quote:
I feel the same way. It will take a lot more for me to 'accept' TCU or BSU as a true contender for the national title. I think the Utah game kinda showed the inherent weakness of some non-BCS teams. TCU was impressive regardless but I'm not sure whether Utah was actually good or not based on their weak schedule. I'm leaning heavily towards the latter.

I do think the SEC is a little down this year. You don't have the ridiculous teams that we've had in the past couple of years (LSU, Georiga, Florida, and Alabama). All of the SEC teams this year seem to have an obvious weakness whereas the last couple of years the SEC leaders had been very balanced and strong on all sides of the ball.

I think the biggest difference is that some of the traditional powerhouses (FL, GA, and AL at least compared to last year) aren't performing as expected or at the same level that they have in the past.

Interestingly, that doesn't seem to be hampering the B10's look in the spotlight - with UM sucking again and Penn State not near the top of the league.  Granted, they both are on the rise right now - and the four one conference loss teams (all with winning traditions to one degree or another) have only lost to each other.

Quote:
They will probably beat Boise into a bowl esp. if they win out.

I wouldn't say "probably" myself.  Not sure we (MSU) can slow their offense down enough to be able to outscore them.  Then again, they haven't faced a powerful, balanced offense yet.  We did do well against Denard Robinson, however.

Nov 9, 2010 at 10:00 AM Post #487 of 928

Quote:
Quote:

What has happened is a power shift.  When was the last time you can remember Arkansas and Miss. State being rated this far into the season.  Right now there are 7 SEC teams rated with 5 coming from the west.  That never happens.  The usually rated Tennessee and Georgia are out this year.  I think what a lot what a lot of people see as a "down" year is actually a sign of more parity than ever in the conference. 

Nov 9, 2010 at 11:02 AM Post #488 of 928
Or more like a power vacuum. I think NapalmK nailed it. Parity can be good. It can also be a symptom. There are some games to play, so I'll  try to keep an open mind.

BlackbeardBen:
[size=13.3333px]Not complaining[/size]

Why not it's the BcS! I've been reading this book. It is highly recommended for anyone interested in the dirty underpinnings of college football.

Nov 9, 2010 at 1:57 PM Post #489 of 928

Quote:
Or more like a power vacuum. I think NapalmK nailed it. Parity can be good. It can also be a symptom. There are some games to play, so I'll  try to keep an open mind.

BlackbeardBen:

Why not it's the BcS! I've been reading this book. It is highly recommended for anyone interested in the dirty underpinnings of college football.

I hate the BCS and want playoffs just as much as the next guy.  I don't however, see cause to complain about our mathematically computed ranking this week because of the way the numbers fall...

Nov 9, 2010 at 4:23 PM Post #491 of 928
Well, look who is rated #25 this week... the Texas A&M Aggies! I wonder how that happened. It could be due to the last game we played. The visitors were very generous in the game, spotting the home team 2 points on the very first play and giving us the ball to start both halves. They graciously allowed our returner a clear 105-yard path to the end zone on one of those kickoffs - a very nice gesture considering it was his first-ever kickoff return.

If that wasn't enough, the coach of the visitors (some guy with a visor) insisted on running straight into the teeth of the home team's goal line defense time after time (without success). What's that definition of insanity again? And finally, there was the gift that keeps on giving... the inaccurate arm of Landry Jones. I shouldn't give him all of the credit though... one of those failed passes into the end zone was launched by the holder on a fake FG attempt.

All in all, it was the best night of the year at Kyle Field. Thank you, Sooners.

Oh and hello, Virometal! How was your weekend? 
biggrin.gif

Sincerely,
Aggie Orcin

Nov 10, 2010 at 2:15 PM Post #493 of 928
Orcin:
Oh and hello, Virometal! How was your weekend? 
biggrin.gif

Well, well, well, if it isn't the Brimstone Aggie. The man whom was once my closest friend and most trusted mentor. Now due to a twist of fate, we are sworn enemies. Think Wolverine/Sabretooth or Boehner/Gingrich. This is a nice moment for you. Enjoy it. My weekend was great as well. We watched Beaches followed by Sophie's Choice, then tranverrsed the city, in search of vintage wicker baskets. Really, what else could  a man ask for?

I'm also thankful Brimstone, thankful to be a fan of such a generous program. Since 2007, no other traditional college football power has gifted more coaching/program era defining wins than OU. One must be proud and exclaim such an accomplishment. In fact, I asked Stoops about it during the last Sooner Caravan.

"Excuse me Sir Stoops, what are your long term goals for the Oklahoma Sooner football team?" 

"Well certainly and in the end, we expect to be featured on every pre-game intro  highlight video in the country in a good way."

That gave me goosebumps. Four million - reported - bones ain't enough for that kind of progressive thinking. Give the man a raise and don't forget the assistants too. 

Kiss the wife and give that Aggie rug rat a head knot for me, Brimstone Aggie. 

Nov 10, 2010 at 2:48 PM Post #495 of 928

Quote:
We watched Beaches followed by Sophie's Choice, then tranverrsed the city, in search of vintage wicker baskets. Really, what else could  a man ask for?

Very quotable
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back