2010 College Football Thread
Oct 1, 2010 at 12:42 PM Post #136 of 928
I don't know Pokefan, 5 opponent turnovers and you win on a last second field goal isn't my definition of a well played game (or quality competition). The offensive output was nearly half that of A&M also..

Oct 1, 2010 at 12:47 PM Post #137 of 928
And without the final TO, OSU would have lost.

Oct 1, 2010 at 1:30 PM Post #138 of 928

Quote:
Great game last night, I'm dragging a$$ this morning though. It was a late night for us in Stillwater. That was also the first game I've ever been to that ended in a walk off field goal. We could have played better and came out DEAD in the first half but got it rolling again late. I'm proud of my boys and they played pretty good at times.

Obviously I'm going to be bias here but I disagree. I think we're a good football team with potential to be great. Like I said above we came out dead in the first half which is almost expected on a Thursday night game, it's a completely different feel for the players. We had some questionable play calling all night and gave up too much on defense but I honestly think we had an off night. We actually played much better against Tulsa and probably a bit better against WSU. Had we played at the same caliber last night it wouldn't have been as close. At this point I really think what everyone saw last night will end up being one of more questionable performances of the year. I also think aTm will probably rank in the top 3 of our opponents this year, they've got a pretty good squad. I'm optimistic and look forward to the rest of the year!

It was a big win for Oklahoma State and I'd be very happy if I were an OSU fan. While the offense played very well in the second and third quarters, the defense stunk up the entire game, despite the turnovers it got.  OSU could not make stops on 3rd and 4th down. The Aggie offense could have scored more times if it hadn't made so many mistakes. In the same breath, Jerrod Johnson has to be the biggest enigma in the big 12. He's normally got a big arm, but last night he threw it like a peewee QB. He's already thrown 8 interceptions this year after only throwing 8 for the entire year in 2009. There's no way OSU wins that game if Texas AM had the old Jerrod Johnson playing.

I'm partial to Weeden because he used to live a few houses down from me in Edmond. His little brother and I used to ride the bus together. It's easy for me to be biased, too. With that, I think OSU has a good offense and will be able to play with any team in the big 12 (thanks to the big 12 being so bad this year). In the end, I see OK State finishing the season with 7 wins, maybe 8. And as I mentioned in my other post, I think Texas AM has a dangerous team if they can get Jerrod Johnson back to his old self. The upcoming Arkansas/Texas AM in Dallas game will tell us a lot more about the aggies.

Oct 1, 2010 at 1:32 PM Post #139 of 928

Quote:
I don't know Pokefan, 5 opponent turnovers and you win on a last second field goal isn't my definition of a well played game (or quality competition). The offensive output was nearly half that of A&M also..

We had 3 turnovers ourselves so turnovers don't really say much here. And it was by no means well played, we put together a few good drives and an extremely impressive 3rd qtr. I know we had nearly half their yards but we also had possession for half as long. We aren't there yet and have a lot of work to do but the tools are there to be a great team! That's all I'm getting at. Anyone that's only seen last nights game would agree that OSU is probably just a decent middle of the road team. I think you would have a different opinion if you had seen performances against WSU and Tulsa.

It was far from a perfect game for us, I know that. That's also why I said that I think this game will end up being in the bottom of our performances at the end of the year.

Oct 1, 2010 at 1:35 PM Post #140 of 928

Quote:
defense stunk up the entire game, despite the turnovers it got.  OSU could not make stops on 3rd and 4th down. The Aggie offense could have scored more times if it hadn't made so many mistakes.

I agree with this 100% and that was not typical Bill Young defense. We were horrible on the defensive side and if we want to continue to win they need to figure it out quick.

Oct 1, 2010 at 1:45 PM Post #141 of 928
I"m pretty mixed; saw some stuff I liked and some I didn't. Positively, Young puts out great stuff. It was fun to watch the formations from his defense. If their youngsters have as much potential as some Pokes insist, well OkSU might be pretty decent defensively by the end of the year. They appeared lost out there some of the time, and we all know they've lost scores of linebackers this season.

Jerrod Johnson is a walking highlight reel. The highlight might not be positive for aTm, but it will be a highlight! If he could ever control himself...well maybe he wouldn't make as many good plays either. A couple of his balls to Fuller, were so big league it hurt. Yeah, a couple like that last interception were painfully bad as well. He's a Sr. Time to become more consistent. You know Sherman has to be counting on it. He is in the window. Some expect A&M to break through this year, and most of those kids are his guys now. The buck has stopped in front of him.

Skylab:
[size=13.1944px]SO many good games tomorrow - RRR, Flori-Bama, Stanford-Oregon, Wisconsin-MSU, PSU-Iowa...5 matchups between top 25 teams.  Nice.  I'm going with the Sooners, Tide, Cardinal, Badgers, and Hawkeyes.[/size]

Geesh, I may have become a little aroused admiring that slate of games. Agreed on all, save give me MSU. Just a hunch, plus I love Greg Jones, which means absolutely nothing  of course. 

Oct 1, 2010 at 6:52 PM Post #142 of 928
On OKstate:  As long as I've been an OSU fan I kind of expect to see flashes of brilliance coupled with really stupid mistakes.  This team appears to have a lot of talent but I'm sure they haven't jelled yet and that will be necessary to develop some level of consistency and beat the better teams in the conference.  On a bright note, OSU teams in the past would probably have caved to aTm despite getting "a gift" so late in the fourth quarter.  If they don't pull it together I expect them to lose to Nebraska, Oklahoma, Texas and have a toss up with Tech while my Big 12 South arrogance tells me not to worry about the rest of the north even if they get slightly worse which is rather odd since Nebraska is probably my favorite for Big 12 success this year.

Oct 1, 2010 at 7:46 PM Post #143 of 928
I know there is no transitive property of football, but let's not forget K-State beat the same UCLA team that just thumped Texas. That Thomas kid in Manhattan can tote the rock.

Oct 1, 2010 at 10:26 PM Post #146 of 928
ATTN SOONER FANS: Utah State is DESTROYING BYU.

Oct 2, 2010 at 6:14 PM Post #149 of 928
Whoa!!! UT is up on LSU, 14-10! What's wrong with LSU today? They've been playing very sloppy football (4 turnovers) and haven't been able to get anything done on offense. We haven't really played very well today but at least we've been doing better on 3rd downs and haven't made any terrible mistakes (minus the 1st play). Go Vols!!!

I can't wait for Florida and Bama...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back