2010 College Football Thread
Sep 25, 2010 at 10:30 PM Post #106 of 928

Quote:
It was Stills #4 who let the ball sail through his hands right before halftime. I just checked play by play on ESPN. EDIT: I was reading the ESPN comment on the game and did see Kenny missed one in the endzone also. Talk about a game changer having 2 easy TDs turned into field goals, one of them missed I believe.

Great game, both sides with some questions, but OU came out with the win. I think Cincy played well enough to win. OU's offense was totally rolling but only between the 20s. I was starting to get disgusted with them running the football for 1-2 yard gains on first and second downs on the last few possessions. I know running the clock is important, but with a 3rd and 7 you run Murray and lose 4 yards?? I feel the 'big play' defense failure moniker returning to the OU defense this year. This game in particular was big play after big play they let run or fly past them.

Hat's off to Cincy. Great team and some great players, easily one of the most entertaining games I've ever seen. It wasn't over til the last :58 and momentum changed at least 20 times.

Oops, my mistake then! I saw #6 miss the TD (when he was wide open in the endzone) but apparently missed Stills' whiff. Regardless, I do completely agree with you about the future of the passing game. My confidence in Landry Jones comes and goes on a weekly basis, but with the aid of Josh Heupel and with these great receivers, I really can see him finishing up at OU as one of the better QBs. I'm sincerely impressed by Stills' absurd catch where he managed to stay in bounds. Wow.

I'm definitely ready for the Texas game.

Sep 25, 2010 at 11:07 PM Post #107 of 928
By the way, I never knew we had a decent contingent of Oklahoma people on head-fi. Perhaps we could set up some small meets in the future. I really hate being limited to 1 meet in Dallas every year.

Sep 26, 2010 at 10:04 AM Post #108 of 928
Well, I owe UCLA a massive apology.  I thought they would get creamed by HOUSTON, and here they beat up on TEXAS in Austin.  Wow.  With Nebraska struggling with the FCS SD State Jackrabbits, I agree it was not a banner day for the Big 12.

I really thought Arkansas was going to take that game, and they mostly looked like the better team except for the mistakes.  Pity.  I missed most of the first quarter, since Northwestern's game against CMU ended up a little closer than I had hoped (although given CMU was 12-2 last year and beat MSU at home, I will take the W for sure).

I will say this, though - Oklahoma is going to be a LOT better off for having played Cincinnati that Ohio State is going to be from hanging 73 points on Eastern Michigan.  At least the Buckeyes played (and beat) the 'Canes - Wisconsin has even less excuse for hanging 70 points on poor FCS Austin Peay.  It seemed like yesterday was the freakin' "Big Ten - MAC Challenge".  And the MAC won 2 of the games, giving the B10 a 7-2 record against the MAC yesterday.  Seriously, 9 games against MAC teams???  I know it's geographically sensible, but still.  At least our MAC opponent was good last year
wink_face.gif

I watched mostly SCar - Auburn rather than BSU-OSU.  Entertaining game there at Auburn - I thought the GC's were going to take that one too, but it was not to be.

All in all a pretty entertaining Saturday of watching CFB for me, both live and on TV.

Sep 26, 2010 at 1:47 PM Post #109 of 928
Hats off to UCLA!  Very classy taking a knee at the end.  A lot of teams would have kicked a field goal or gone for another touchdown.  I tell ya, it has been hard to watch the last three games.  We need a lot of help on offense (passing and running).  Not to mention all the mental mistakes and dropped passes.  I would love to get a running game going, but it's time to focus on doing one well (or at least good).  Clearly that would be passing.  It's going to be a rough couple of weeks with OU and Nebraska.  At least we have a week between OU and Nebraska to rest a bit 
biggrin.gif
   Oh, and to call my own people out.  I have never understood booing your own freaking team.  I may get disappointed or frustrated at times, but I love my Horns!  That's all I have to say 'bout that....

Oh, and to be clear.  I haven't given up on the team.  We have as much talent as the next team.  The coaches need to figure this out 
biggrin.gif

Sep 26, 2010 at 4:29 PM Post #110 of 928
The only thing I care about is that the Gators demolished Kentucky yesterday, and I heard absolutely nothing from anyone with regards to any "offensive struggles", so that felt good. The day would have been perfect if Alabama had lost to Arkansas, but no matter. I'm just waiting for next Saturday when the Gators head down to Tuscaloosa, because I feel that that game is the barometer of our season. If we lose, then so be it. If we lose a close game, we could potentially rebound and beat them in the SEC Championship game to go to the BCS NC game. But, if we WIN -- and I'm certainly thinking that's more possible given this last game than ever before this season -- then we could potentially be looking at yet another crystal football. I'm excited.

Also, hats off to UCLA. Seeing them demolish Texas at home warms my heart. If only Oklahoma had lost to Cinci and Nebraska hadn't squeaked by ND State. Would have been an excellent day.

Sep 27, 2010 at 11:15 AM Post #111 of 928
Maxvla:
By the way, I never knew we had a decent contingent of Oklahoma people on head-fi. Perhaps we could set up some small meets in the future. I really hate being limited to 1 meet in Dallas every year.

I'd be up for it. But have to say I wouldn't have much to offer. I' haven't been deep into headphones for a while. Some good friends and the relative civility of the music and lounge forums, have kept me coming back to Head-Fi.

jeffreyj900:
Hats off to UCLA!  

TUCK FEXAS. Sorry j900, tis hate week  I won't be there this year, but wish I could to witness the historical beat down that is coming. Sure OU couldn't run through cheap pantyhose or stop a gentle spring breeze.  Still, God's team is still going to whip a little cud chewin' bee hind. 

Sep 27, 2010 at 11:28 AM Post #112 of 928

Quote:
TUCK FEXAS. Sorry j900, tis hate week  I won't be there this year, but wish I could to witness the historical beat down that is coming. Sure OU couldn't run through cheap pantyhose or stop a gentle spring breeze.  Still, God's team is still going to whip a little cud chewin' bee hind. 

We shall see
biggrin.gif

Sep 27, 2010 at 12:53 PM Post #113 of 928
Hey Viro you forgot to update your location
wink.gif

Sep 27, 2010 at 1:51 PM Post #114 of 928
the OU-UC game was much closer than I anticipated. I had my parents down and we went to the game. OU had that good lead through the 3rd quarter so we left to eat dinner (we had reservations at 9PM). We really regretted not watching that last half of the game.

Sep 27, 2010 at 2:38 PM Post #115 of 928

I see the Gators winning the SEC this year.  Probably will get to beat up on OSU for the title.  I don't think Bama is as good as they were last year.  I can't believe TCU, BSU, and Oregon are in the top 5 ahead of Nebraska, OU, and the Gators.

Quote:
 I'm just waiting for next Saturday when the Gators head down to Tuscaloosa, because I feel that that game is the barometer of our season. If we lose, then so be it. If we lose a close game, we could potentially rebound and beat them in the SEC Championship game to go to the BCS NC game. But, if we WIN -- and I'm certainly thinking that's more possible given this last game than ever before this season -- then we could potentially be looking at yet another crystal football. I'm excited.

Sep 27, 2010 at 3:01 PM Post #116 of 928
This yeah I think tOSU is going to win the BCS Title game.  I think they are that good.  I am just happy we don't have to play them.

Sep 27, 2010 at 3:57 PM Post #117 of 928
My bears.... they let me down... 10-9 vs AZ... pretty great defense one way or the other.. AZ is a good team this year. Some pretty ridiculous plays, downright silly at times. Entertaining cfb game.

Sep 27, 2010 at 4:19 PM Post #118 of 928

Quote:
I see the Gators winning the SEC this year.  Probably will get to beat up on OSU for the title.  I don't think Bama is as good as they were last year.  I can't believe TCU, BSU, and Oregon are in the top 5 ahead of Nebraska, OU, and the Gators.

Haha, I'd love for the Gators to demolish another overrated Ohio State team. The Big 10 really doesn't ever impress me at all. Always teams that are overrated due to past history, who then crumple in the title game or other BCS bowls when faced with superior (SEC) competition. Same goes for the Big 12, and any non-SEC conference, really!

I also find interesting the comparisons between the Chris Leak/Tim Tebow and John Brantley/Trey Burton starter/backup relationship that have been springing up recently given Burton's coming out party on Saturday. That and the fact that OSU are doing "well" this year make it seem like the stars are aligning for a deja-vu BCS National Championship Game, if all goes according to this Gator's wishes! 
dt880smile.png

Sep 27, 2010 at 4:51 PM Post #119 of 928
I'm a huge buckeye fan and I think they have a good chance to make it to the big one this year. However, Its impossible to ignore the fact the sec seems to have their number. Although, If OSU meets florida in the nc game, then i'm sure they will hold their ground vs the gators much better than cinci did last year.

Sep 27, 2010 at 5:10 PM Post #120 of 928
I think there is a very real chance the NCG will not feature an SEC team.  Sometimes having too many strong teams in the conference is not a good thing.  The Big Ten looks to be off this year overall, to me.  Penn State looks very mediocre.  Iowa, MSU, and Wisconsin - hard to say.   Michigan seems improved - they might be the second best team.  Illinois, Minnesota, and Purdue don't look very good.  Hard to know what to make of Indiana.  And I think my NU Cats are pretty good - probably end up about where we did last year, 5-3 in conference, I'm thinking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back