2010 College Football Thread
Sep 27, 2010 at 5:11 PM Post #121 of 928
Tell ya, I like tOSU too. Pryor is a man child. That kind of player is a difference maker. They have been cruising over some light fare though, so there is that. The one team I've seen that has "it." is Bama. Overall, I think there aren't a lot of really good teams this year.

ronnielee64:
 I can't believe TCU, BSU, and Oregon are in the top 5 ahead of Nebraska, OU, and the Gators.

OU isn't even a top 20 team right now. I have no problem with their ranking. It's a gift. Polls don't matter this early any way. It will shake out. 

--

Oh and thanks Sooner! Better update that.

Sep 27, 2010 at 5:31 PM Post #122 of 928

Problem is their upcoming schedule.  Florida will be a tough one.  SC tougher than usual.  Auburn could be the hardest task of all this year.  They are not the typical Auburn team that Bama has been facing the last couple of years.

Quote:
 The one team I've seen that has "it." is Bama. Overall, I think there aren't a lot of really good teams this year.

Sep 27, 2010 at 5:55 PM Post #123 of 928
If you want to argue that Bamar won't make it, I completely agree. Not because of schedule but because of mathematics. Chance of repeat not good my fortune cookie say. Yet I came away more impressed than I thought.

I'm not granting Florida anything after a home Kentucky victory. Let's see what they have this week. If they look good, "I'll crown their ass."

--

Anyone else stoked about Cardinal @ Ducks? Tell ya, I thinking Standford. They can run the rock, and the Ducks are soft in the middle. Plus, there is that Luck fella. 

Sep 28, 2010 at 11:38 AM Post #124 of 928
I think they are both going to end up with one loss at the end of regular season.  I think Bama will beat the Gators giving them their only loss. More than likely Auburn will arrive at their faceoff with Bama undefeated.  I see a strong chance of Auburn beating Bama giving Bama their only loss in regular season.  That could put Gators and Auburn playing in Atlanta for SEC title.  Of course SC, LSU, or the Hogs could slip in a win here and there change it up a little bit, but in the end, I still think it will be Gators vs Auburn in Atlanta.  Then it will open up the great debate again.  Does a 1 loss SEC team deserve to jump over an undefeated BSU or TCU.  Maybe one day we will finally have a playoff system.

Sep 28, 2010 at 2:41 PM Post #125 of 928

Quote:
If you want to argue that Bamar won't make it, I completely agree. Not because of schedule but because of mathematics. Chance of repeat not good my fortune cookie say. Yet I came away more impressed than I thought.

I'm not granting Florida anything after a home Kentucky victory. Let's see what they have this week. If they look good, "I'll crown their ass."

--

Anyone else stoked about Cardinal @ Ducks? Tell ya, I thinking Standford. They can run the rock, and the Ducks are soft in the middle. Plus, there is that Luck fella. 

After ASU basically outplayed Oregon last weekend, I'm thinking Cards too. I haven't watched this year's Cardinal team though, so I don't know if their speed is on par with ASU. ASU gave Oregon problems because they have speed all over the field. Having Burfict is kinda helpful too, he's an absolute beast. ASU just gave Oregon the ball too many times to pull off the W. The foundation is there for ASU though, next year is their year, mark it down!

Sep 28, 2010 at 3:29 PM Post #126 of 928

Quote:
I think they are both going to end up with one loss at the end of regular season.  I think Bama will beat the Gators giving them their only loss. More than likely Auburn will arrive at their faceoff with Bama undefeated.  I see a strong chance of Auburn beating Bama giving Bama their only loss in regular season.  That could put Gators and Auburn playing in Atlanta for SEC title.  Of course SC, LSU, or the Hogs could slip in a win here and there change it up a little bit, but in the end, I still think it will be Gators vs Auburn in Atlanta.  Then it will open up the great debate again.  Does a 1 loss SEC team deserve to jump over an undefeated BSU or TCU.  Maybe one day we will finally have a playoff system.

The answer to whether or not a one-loss SEC team deserves to jump BSU or TCU is right there in your post. Look at all of the teams you listed that someone in the SEC would have to go through and potentially lose to to achieve an undefeated or one-loss regular season. And then look at the teams BSU and TCU play to get to the same spot. Absolutely NO comparison. I'm even of the mind that a TWO loss SEC team (to any of the top 25 SEC schools) should prevent BSU or TCU from playing in the NC game. Those guys beat up on cupcakes, Boise State especially. Since they joined the WAC(k) a decade ago they've gone undefeated every year save for maybe twice, at the max. And when they do play real competition, they and TCU have had time to rest up and prepare because they're playing Louisiana Tech and Utah State and therefore don't have to bat an eye to crush them.

Sep 30, 2010 at 1:42 PM Post #127 of 928
ASU for next year, I've marked it down Pitchfork Floyd. Man, I really like Stanford. I've watched them twice and have been impressed. They're big and physical. Play sound defense. Rush the ball with a play making QB. Old Kirky picked them to take the Pac, and I now see why. What worries me is Auzten Stadium. As you know, that place is a snake pit. 

Big game for Big 12 followers or just plain college football fans tonight: Aggies @ Pokes. I have anticipated this, since neither team has played anybody yet, save maybe for State's win over Troy.  I want to see what these two are made of. A lot of people around here are predicting a shoot out. 

Sep 30, 2010 at 1:50 PM Post #128 of 928

Quote:

Big game for Big 12 followers or just plain college football fans tonight: Aggies @ Pokes. I have anticipated this, since neither team has played anybody yet, save maybe for State's win over Troy.  I want to see what these two are made of. A lot of people around here are predicting a shoot out. 

Yup - another nice Thursday night game.  Looking forward to it.

Sep 30, 2010 at 3:57 PM Post #130 of 928
I'm really jacked up about the beginning of B10 conference play.  A win by NU up at Minny on Saturday would move us to 5-0...and a loss would mean we're nowhere near as good at our 4-0 start would indicate.  Our first 2 B10 games are really key, since they are against Minny and Purdue, the two teams that would seem to be the worst in the league, at least so far.  We have to win them.  That would mean a 6-0 start, though...that's a little tough to get my arms around...

Sep 30, 2010 at 4:15 PM Post #131 of 928

Quote:
Maxvla said:

By the way, I never knew we had a decent contingent of Oklahoma people on head-fi. Perhaps we could set up some small meets in the future. I really hate being limited to 1 meet in Dallas every year.

I'd be down for it, but I'd probably be much less a contributor than other participants. My gear list is extremely meager at the moment, though I'll hopefulyl start to better my equipment as more of my spare money gets diverted to audio stuff.

Quote:
ASU for next year, I've marked it down Pitchfork Floyd. Man, I really like Stanford. I've watched them twice and have been impressed. They're big and physical. Play sound defense. Rush the ball with a play making QB. Old Kirky picked them to take the Pac, and I now see why. What worries me is Auzten Stadium. As you know, that place is a snake pit. 

I think OSU could be like Texas Tech from a couple of years ago, honestly. B Weeden, Kendall Hunter, and Justin Blackmon are three All-Big 12 calibre players. They could easily be a top 15 team if they had just a top 40 defense. Plus, BPS is a brutal place to get a win if you aren't Texas.

I like OSU by 14-17.

Oct 1, 2010 at 1:30 AM Post #132 of 928
That was an entertaining little game, though I was completely off with my prediction. Ok State is only a decent team with some potential to be a good football team. They also make some weird coaching decisions, for sure. I like OU's chances in Stillwater if the Sooners can stay healthy.

The aggies looked good despite all the turnovers. ATM in Aggie Station is going to be a tough out if they can figure out their QB woes.

Oct 1, 2010 at 1:47 AM Post #133 of 928
Both teams were pretty terrible, IMO. Big 12 looking like the Little 12 this year.

Oct 1, 2010 at 10:15 AM Post #134 of 928
I think it's been a while since I saw an 8 turnover game that was played in perfect weather conditions.  Wow.  At least the game was entertaining, as mentioned.  Right down to the wire, GW FG as time expired - that's fun football!

SO many good games tomorrow - RRR, Flori-Bama, Stanford-Oregon, Wisconsin-MSU, PSU-Iowa...5 matchups between top 25 teams.  Nice.  I'm going with the Sooners, Tide, Cardinal, Badgers, and Hawkeyes.

Oct 1, 2010 at 12:10 PM Post #135 of 928
Great game last night, I'm dragging a$$ this morning though. It was a late night for us in Stillwater. That was also the first game I've ever been to that ended in a walk off field goal. We could have played better and came out DEAD in the first half but got it rolling again late. I'm proud of my boys and they played pretty good at times.

Quote:
That was an entertaining little game, though I was completely off with my prediction. Ok State is only a decent team with some potential to be a good football team. They also make some weird coaching decisions, for sure. I like OU's chances in Stillwater if the Sooners can stay healthy.

The aggies looked good despite all the turnovers. ATM in Aggie Station is going to be a tough out if they can figure out their QB woes.

Obviously I'm going to be bias here but I disagree. I think we're a good football team with potential to be great. Like I said above we came out dead in the first half which is almost expected on a Thursday night game, it's a completely different feel for the players. We had some questionable play calling all night and gave up too much on defense but I honestly think we had an off night. We actually played much better against Tulsa and probably a bit better against WSU. Had we played at the same caliber last night it wouldn't have been as close. At this point I really think what everyone saw last night will end up being one of more questionable performances of the year. I also think aTm will probably rank in the top 3 of our opponents this year, they've got a pretty good squad. I'm optimistic and look forward to the rest of the year!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back