2010 College Football Thread
Sep 23, 2010 at 8:37 PM Post #92 of 928
I can't believe Gameday won't be there. SECESPiN must of received a few snarky E-Mails like mine.

Still I'm stoked for the big game like everybody else. Although I like to joke around, I'm not buying the SEC hype just yet, and I'm usually the first to. To me, there are a bunch of average lookign teams in that conference this year.

Sep 23, 2010 at 8:52 PM Post #93 of 928
Pitt better find a way to generate some offense here or this game is going to get ugly.

Sep 24, 2010 at 6:07 PM Post #95 of 928

Quote:
Maxvla:

Oh and good job Mikey Stoops! I love watching that guy coach. He must down five Red Bulls before the game, like Mike Gundy. Speaking of the Spike, where did Pokefan go? They had a big win yesterday. 

Still here, lurking mostly. I decided to keep my mouth shut this week (you know, poke choke...) We did play very well and pretty much the entire first squad was out after the 1st half but it was against Tulsa so I'll reserve judgment for after our Thurs game with aTm. Although the WSU and Tulsa game looked very similar so I'm hoping that's the path we'll be following this year!

Sep 25, 2010 at 12:13 PM Post #96 of 928
I hear that. It's a wise man that does not taunt the football gods. Which is why I'm usually the world's biggest sandbagger. Still, I'm going to take the Pokes against bye today week. I really like their chances.: :p

Sign me up for Arky and Broncos today. No scientific analysis, just a gut feeling that Mallett is going to have success against the youngish Bama secondary, and that the Blue Turf warriors will swarm OrSU early, kind of like they did against Tech. 

Sep 25, 2010 at 5:34 PM Post #97 of 928
Well, the Vols should not have won today. We ended up pulling it out in OT despite UAB dominating most of the game. If this game was any indication it's going to be a very, very rough season.
frown.gif

At least I have a proxy team this week, Arkansas. They are really doing very well against Alabama. It's been a great game so far and Mallet is doing much better this year. So far it looks like viro was right, Bama's secondary hasn't been able to do much at all. We'll have to see though it's going to be a very fun game. 

Sep 25, 2010 at 7:47 PM Post #101 of 928
Slow offense finally caught up with Texas.

OU playing decently on the road at Cincy. Defense coming up with clutch plays despite allowing a lot of yards. Stills is going to be a superstar. Looking forward to Broyles Stills and Jones for the next couple years. I wish he'd have caught that TD instead of letting it go between his hands, but what can you do. True freshman need the experience to be able to catch a ball while your body is completely twisted like his was. 17-9 half, could have easily been 31-24 still in favor of OU. Both teams leaving a ton of points on the field.

Landry Jones 23/34 w/several drops 251 yards passing in the first half. Incredible.

Sep 25, 2010 at 8:15 PM Post #102 of 928

Quote:
Slow offense finally caught up with Texas.

OU playing decently on the road at Cincy. Defense coming up with clutch plays despite allowing a lot of yards. Stills is going to be a superstar. Looking forward to Broyles Stills and Jones for the next couple years. I wish he'd have caught that TD instead of letting it go between his hands, but what can you do. True freshman need the experience to be able to catch a ball while your body is completely twisted like his was. 17-9 half, could have easily been 31-24 still in favor of OU. Both teams leaving a ton of points on the field.

Landry Jones 23/34 w/several drops 251 yards passing in the first half. Incredible.

I think that was Cameron Kenney who dropped that easy Td pass. Unless Kenny Stills also dropped a td pass at some point (which I obviously missed if this was the case).

Sep 25, 2010 at 9:55 PM Post #103 of 928
It was Stills #4 who let the ball sail through his hands right before halftime. I just checked play by play on ESPN. EDIT: I was reading the ESPN comment on the game and did see Kenny missed one in the endzone also. Talk about a game changer having 2 easy TDs turned into field goals, one of them missed I believe.

Great game, both sides with some questions, but OU came out with the win. I think Cincy played well enough to win. OU's offense was totally rolling but only between the 20s. I was starting to get disgusted with them running the football for 1-2 yard gains on first and second downs on the last few possessions. I know running the clock is important, but with a 3rd and 7 you run Murray and lose 4 yards?? I feel the 'big play' defense failure moniker returning to the OU defense this year. This game in particular was big play after big play they let run or fly past them.

Hat's off to Cincy. Great team and some great players, easily one of the most entertaining games I've ever seen. It wasn't over til the last :58 and momentum changed at least 20 times.

Sep 25, 2010 at 10:26 PM Post #104 of 928
Quote:
Quote:

What happened with UCLA and Texas? 27-6 is not what I expected at all.

Same here.  Is UCLA that good or is Texas that bad?

And am happy that 'SC knocked off WSU today and that Mustain got a bit of play time.  4-0 ain't too bad of a beginning, but the really tough games are still ahead.

Did anyone else catch the Stanford v. Notre Dame game?  Kelly's off to a rough start and Stanford is looking good.

The Boise State v. Oregon State game is on.  OSU just picked up another TD and it's only a seven point difference.  I wonder if OSU might spoil the "Cinderella" season.

Sep 25, 2010 at 10:29 PM Post #105 of 928
Stills is going to be a stud! I do the "at least two more years," dance every time I watch that true frosh. That sideline catch was one of the best I've ever seen from an OU receiver.

Eh, the week before Tejas, a win is a win, especially on the road.However,  I'm not real impressed with this OU edition despite 4-0. It all starts up front and neither side was inspiring. I was glad to see #94 RJ Washington make a few plays in the end. This team desperately needs a consistent pass rusher. C'm on 44. The Sooners need you! 90 David King looks the part but hasn't made an impact yet. Big 84 is a good bull rusher and contain man. He doesn't really get after the Qb though. 

---

Good thing for OU, the Big 12 stinks. Texas was Chow'd. The big question about their D was the interior and UCLA ran a lot of trap stuff inside and move the ball on the ground in Austin. Norm Chow, once again, proves his worth as an college offensive coordinator. Add 5? UT turnovers to that, and that what happens. I bet sports radio in Austin is fun right now.

I watched a bit of KSU this morning too and wasn't terribly impressed. aTm has been underwhelming too. 

Arkansas got Bama'd. I was really rooting for the Hogs too. The Sabies wore down the hogs with that punishing style. 

Hey, how about some more pistol everybody! Is there anyone left who isn't running that formation. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back