2010 College Football Thread
Dec 5, 2010 at 5:33 PM Post #631 of 928

Quote:
It's one of the more exciting NCG match ups I remember having in a while. Really looking forward to it, actually.

Of the BCS bowl, it looks to me like the second most interesting will the Ohio State - Arkansas. All of the rest of the match ups don't do it for me. The Michigan State - Alabama Capital One bowl seems like a better game than the rest of the BCS bowl match ups.

It's too bad that our home-and-home series doesn't start until 2016 - this could've been a great kickoff to that.

Of course, that's going with the idea that the Dantonio era is the rebirth of football at MSU after a 45 year hiatus since the last sustained period of success (okay, the 1980s weren't bad either).

Dec 5, 2010 at 7:07 PM Post #632 of 928

Quote:
It's one of the more exciting NCG match ups I remember having in a while. Really looking forward to it, actually.

Of the BCS bowl, it looks to me like the second most interesting will the Ohio State - Arkansas. All of the rest of the match ups don't do it for me. The Michigan State - Alabama Capital One bowl seems like a better game than the rest of the BCS bowl match ups.

It's too bad that our home-and-home series doesn't start until 2016 - this could've been a great kickoff to that.

Of course, that's going with the idea that the Dantonio era is the rebirth of football at MSU after a 45 year hiatus since the last sustained period of success (okay, the 1980s weren't bad either).

Also, "Camy Cam Juice" is hilarious...

Dec 5, 2010 at 7:12 PM Post #633 of 928
I'm recovering from yesterday with a little Hair of the Dog. It required several drinks to be in the right frame of mind for the USC/UCLA game, but I was prepared. Then I celebrated afterwards. Not the prettiest game and I'm not entirely happy with the team, but I'll take the W and the blessing of not having to hear about it from UCLA fans for another year.

There were a couple of interesting things about the game. One, Kai Forbath, UCLA's kicker, didn't get a chance to kick a field goal. Forbath, for those of you who don't know him, is a hell of a kicker. He should have gotten the NCAA record for completions this year. I think he is two off the record. But the poor UCLA offense prevented that. Also, the only team he never scored a field goal against is USC. He got three or more with everyone else he played. So, I sort of feel sorry for the guy. On the other hand, Forbath is a lock in the draft and should have a great NFL career.

The other thing is that this was the last Pac-10 game. It'll be the Pac-12 next year and completely different. But I am happy that the last Pac-10 game was USC/UCLA, and even happier that the last game was a USC win. :)

I sure wish that Stanford was headed to the Rose Bowl for a tradiional Pac-10/Big-10 matchup. That's one of the things I still dislike about the BCS. Sure, the old system wasn't perfect, but I think that tradition is more important than rankings. I loved all of the old matchups and rivalries. Those are a lot more fun than trying to determine if a team should be ranked fifth or sixth.

Also, I'm taking the Ducks over Auburn. I think that Oregon's defense is going to win it for them, as well. My line will be Ducks by 7.

Dec 5, 2010 at 7:46 PM Post #634 of 928
Interesting, you think Oregon will be able to handle Newton? Auburn is supposedly the team with the good run defense, but Oregon has great team speed on both sides of the ball. I just wonder about stopping Newton as no one has been able to do it yet.

Dec 5, 2010 at 7:57 PM Post #635 of 928

Quote:
Interesting, you think Oregon will be able to handle Newton? Auburn is supposedly the team with the good run defense, but Oregon has great team speed on both sides of the ball. I just wonder about stopping Newton as no one has been able to do it yet.

we dont have to stop him completely, just enough. i think we'll be able to score almost at will in their defense. so as long as we stop em a couple times i think we get the W

Dec 5, 2010 at 8:01 PM Post #636 of 928

Quote:
Quote:

we dont have to stop him completely, just enough. i think we'll be able to score almost at will in their defense. so as long as we stop em a couple times i think we get the W

Ya maybe contain him may be a better way of putting it!

It would be nice to see the Pac-10 win the title in the last year of its existence.

Dec 5, 2010 at 8:49 PM Post #637 of 928
Yes, I think the Oregon D will be able to contain Newton. He'll get plenty of pressure and Oregon has done that to some very good quarterbacks this year. Also, the Oregon O is relentless and will wear down the Auburn D by the third or fourth quarter. That's when Oregon usually opens up strong leads. If the D can keep its thumb on Newton, Oregon wins.

I just wish the game wasn't on a Monday with work the next day, though. The BCS championship should be on a Saturday to allow for a Superbowl-like party. I am glad the other major bowls will be on/around New Year's. We're doing another family cruise, so I'll be lounging around with too much food and too much alcohol and plan to thoroughly enjoy the games. :D

Dec 5, 2010 at 9:11 PM Post #639 of 928

Quote:
Interesting matchup. Natty's come down to D-Line and QB. 

QB edge: Auby
D-Line edge: Auby

Give me Auby every day and twice on Sunday. 

Agreed on this assessment.  Auburn has a great run d, which will force Thomas to try and beat them.  I think it will be high scoring, but after watching Newton play several times against defenses better than Oregon's, I just can't see Oregon being able to slow down Newton.  Thankfully I'm off the 10th, so I will be able to watch this one after working the past couple years for the NCG.

Dec 5, 2010 at 9:37 PM Post #640 of 928
I'm also thinking Auburn wins it, but i think it will be close, since Oregon will score. The Tiger D has been improving, but it's not fabulous. Same with the Duck D. But i think Auburn will be just enough better defensively to get it done.

Dec 5, 2010 at 10:30 PM Post #641 of 928

AYes, I think the Oregon D will be able to contain Newton. He'll get plenty of pressure and Oregon has done that to some very good quarterbacks this year. Also, the Oregon O is relentless and will wear down the Auburn D by the third or fourth quarter. That's when Oregon usually opens up strong leads. If the D can keep its thumb on Newton, Oregon wins.

I just wish the game wasn't on a Monday with work the next day, though. The BCS championship should be on a Saturday to allow for a Superbowl-like party. I am glad the other major bowls will be on/around New Year's. We're doing another family cruise, so I'll be lounging around with too much food and too much alcohol and plan to thoroughly enjoy the games. :D

Oregon has not faced a QB any where near Cam Newtons talent. I do not see them "keeping a thumb" on him. As far as them wearing down Auburns D, Auburn has traveled a much tougher road to this game and they haven't been stopped yet. They totally dominated a ranked SC team in Atlanta. Oregon struggled againt a mediocre OS

Dec 5, 2010 at 10:40 PM Post #642 of 928

Quote:
Oregon has not faced a QB any where near Cam Newtons talent. I do not see them "keeping a thumb" on him. As far as them wearing down Auburns D, Auburn has traveled a much tougher road to this game and they haven't been stopped yet. They totally dominated a ranked SC team in Atlanta. Oregon struggled againt a mediocre OS

Darron Thomas is as important to Oregon's offense as Newton is to his, he doesn't get the press but he is an incredible talent as well IMO. LaMichael James is the Heisman Trophy candidate, but Thomas makes this offense tick with his poise, accuracy and decision making.
We really couldn't ask for more in this matchup QB-wise 
beerchug.gif

Dec 6, 2010 at 5:10 AM Post #643 of 928

Quote:

And an intense rivalry against a team set on being the ones to ruin their NC run.

All that matters is winning the game.  And it isn't always the team that is supposed to be "better".

Dec 6, 2010 at 6:59 PM Post #644 of 928
Lots of big talk goin' on here, but who is throwing down cash?  I won seven bets on the Ducks this weekend... they covered the 16.5 spread... BARELY!

The Ducks are a better overall team, but Auburn has Cam. Reminds me a bit of the Rose Bowl USC - Texas match up. Great team (USC) vs Great Player (Vince Young).  In that case the Great Player (Vince) won.  The Duck's also have a terrible bowl record. Kelly choked the Rose Bowl last year, calling way too many pocket passing plays for Masoli in the first half. The Ducks have been in first half trouble for the same reason this year.  (What the eff is Kelly thinking? Thomas is a better passer than Masoli, but he is no Andrew Luck or Kellen Moore).  

Auburn is a three point favorite in the early line, which feels just right, and means I can't bet the game. Lou Holz and several other "knowledgeable" analysts have picked the Ducks, so the spread could change based on the bets. Then maybe...

Dec 6, 2010 at 10:37 PM Post #645 of 928
Thomas and Luck are the same with TD/picks at 28/7 this year but you're right the other two are higher rated and Moore is off the freakin' charts at 33/5. Thomas has a pretty high rating at 105 but it's not 115 or 130 lol. I do like the way Thomas hangs in the pocket without flinching until the last second though, he's gonna make a great pro. His wheels aren't too bad either when needed.

Masoli is history, glad he's gone (from the Pac at least).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back