2010 College Football Thread
Nov 27, 2010 at 11:54 PM Post #586 of 928
What a gem of a game the Bedlam game was tonight. 40 points scored in the 4th quarter, 355 yards of offense. One of the most exciting quarters of football I've seen since the Auburn/Arkansas game earlier this year.

Going to be nice to give the Huskers a tail whipping to send them off.

Nov 28, 2010 at 9:19 AM Post #587 of 928
Yep, Bedlam was a pretty special game.  Congrats to all you Sooner fans.  You deserve to plan Nebraska in the title game - I hope it works out that way.

I think Wisconsin will jump Stanford in today's BCS.  And that will mean the only drama involved in the national championship game is if Auburn loses.  Would a one-loss Wisconsin team, whose only loss is to another 11-1 Michigan State team, get into the title game ahead of TCU?  This is the burning question we've all been pondering all season.  A conference champion one-loss AQ team, or an undefeated mid-major. 

We may never know, of course - as all the BCS backers are praying Auburn wins...and that there is no more bad news about Cam Newton in the meantime...

Nov 28, 2010 at 1:39 PM Post #588 of 928
CFN has Wisconsin number two in their latest rankings. It has to make one wonder, what kind of run the Badgers could make if there were a playoff. They're hot, hot, hot, hot. I would probably pick them over Oregon as well. I don't know about Auburn. Consider me sold after last week. 

That was a good couple of days of football. It doesn't get any better. Seriously, bowl games are a total crap shoot. In late Autumn though, the good teams are playing their best in meaningful clashes. 

Really I'm kind of depressed now. Next week will be good but nothing like that. *sigh*

Nov 28, 2010 at 6:34 PM Post #589 of 928

Quote:
What a gem of a game the Bedlam game was tonight. 40 points scored in the 4th quarter, 355 yards of offense. One of the most exciting quarters of football I've seen since the Auburn/Arkansas game earlier this year.

Going to be nice to give the Huskers a tail whipping to send them off.

Was a great game to be sure!  Hope you give Nebraska a proper going away beat down!  Alas, all I have to hope for is next year 
biggrin.gif
  Hats off to the the Aggies for a great game.  I'm hoping Mack figures out what he is going to do soon....  I suspect with the season we had (Texas), some recruits might be having second thoughts.  Especially if he leaves coaching changes lingering for long.

Nov 29, 2010 at 12:53 AM Post #590 of 928
It might help Texas to lose a blue chip or three, then sprinkle some blue collar guys into the program. Don't get me wrong. Blue Chips fuel the big boys, but obviously some of their evals have been off. They love to talk up their classes. Well, this is the medicine that comes when they don't meet their own self built expectations, after the fan base had put too  much stock in rivals rankings. 

I've read things are pretty dismal down in the O-trenches right now. That's not good. To start another 10-win season streak, O-line depth is essential. 

Barry Switzer, whom experienced winning and losing streaks in the RRR, was once asked, "do you think winning will help in recruiting?"

He replied," shoot, we beat them with guys we recruited while they were beating us."

Nov 29, 2010 at 3:49 PM Post #591 of 928
Bedlam was just ridonkulous. And to be honest, I actually feel sorry for Ok State. They have had a dream season and had chance to do something really worthwhile against OU. So close.

Big 12 title game. Nebraska seems to have a mediocre rush defense so hopefully Murray can get back for OU. It may be an interesting game if T-Magic comes back for Husker.

Nationally (or somewhat regionally). TCU to Big East. Seems like a bizarre fit, but at least they ought to be guaranteed a BCS game every year. I wonder how this affects Big 12 expansion plans. Also, the Auburn/South Carolina game should be fun. Auburn has some real swagger right now.

Nov 29, 2010 at 5:03 PM Post #593 of 928
I wonder of the WAC schools that bailed for the MWC are upset about TCU's move.  But I sure don't blame TCU!  The will be in an AQ league.  Makes perfect sense.

Nov 29, 2010 at 7:28 PM Post #594 of 928
that is funny that TCU is leaving the Mountain west, cause Utah is leaving for the pac 10 as well, so whats boise states competition gonna be???

also i was wondering why everyone keeps saying that stanford wont be going to the rose bowl? last year numbers 7 and 8 oregon and ohio state both went. but this year they're saying that numbers 4 and 5 wont go in stanford and wisconsin??? the rose bowl is supposed to be the pac10 and the big 10, i dont really get why this is an issue, TCU could just get an at large bid to a different bowl game. and if either team(stanford or wisconsin) was to not get to go shouldnt it be wisconsin and not stanford since stanford is ranked higher? 

or is it becuase stanford didnt win the pac10? its only guaranteed if they win? i just figured since oregon won, and is going to the national championship, that the next ranking team would get to go to the rose bowl.

but i guess its moot, since they did make 4th on the BCS they'll be guaranteed a BCS bowl spot no matter what now.

and how bout my ducks!!
biggrin.gif

Nov 29, 2010 at 8:34 PM Post #595 of 928
The issue is that this year, if a Big Ten or PAC Ten team goes to the NCG, then the Rose is required to take the highest ranked non-automatic qualifier, assuming there is one that is ranked in the BCS top 14 (which will be the case for TCU). I'd much rather have Stanford play Wisco, exactly because of the tradition, as you say, but it doesn't appear that can happen unless the BCS makes a tweak.

Nov 29, 2010 at 9:08 PM Post #596 of 928

Quote:
The issue is that this year, if a Big Ten or PAC Ten team goes to the NCG, then the Rose is required to take the highest ranked non-automatic qualifier, assuming there is one that is ranked in the BCS top 14 (which will be the case for TCU). I'd much rather have Stanford play Wisco, exactly because of the tradition, as you say, but it doesn't appear that can happen unless the BCS makes a tweak.

thats pretty lame sauce skylab...i think wisco playing stanford would be an amazing game jsut because of their styles of play. but stanford oklahoma i guess would be alright too..

Nov 29, 2010 at 9:54 PM Post #597 of 928
Stanford Oklahoma won't happen I don't think. If OU wins the Big12 it will likely be headed to the Fiesta Bowl, the traditional Big12 non championship BCS destination, likely playing 8-4 UConn, yet another Fiesta Bowl trap game for my Sooners. Lets hope this time there are no Hook and Laterals waiting for us in overtime.

Nov 29, 2010 at 10:07 PM Post #598 of 928
OU still has a game to play. I don't like how many Sooners - not necessarily directed at the beloved Sooner Maxvla - seem to be writing off NU. They're going to come to play, and God's team better strap on its helmet tight. 

J W:
 I wonder how this affects Big 12 expansion plans. 

The Big 12 can have TCU any time it wants, no matter where they are. That's just a fact. Outside of football, which many feel wouldn't be as powerful if they had been in the XII all these years anyway, they just bring nothing to the table, and the move would legitimize their recruiting efforts in Texas, increasing competition. I would be really surprised if the Horned Frogs were ever invited, other than in some scenario where one of other Texas members bolted. 

Nov 29, 2010 at 10:29 PM Post #599 of 928
I'm not writing off the Huskers at all, but they have been very hit and miss in their games, more miss than hit, but still performing well enough to win their games. Their defense doesn't seem to hold up well against both passing and rushing at the same time, one or the other is gashed pretty badly most games, sometimes both. We'll see what happens I suppose. I just hope our front 4 on defense are strong enough to withstand their rushing attack for all 4 quarters.

Nov 30, 2010 at 9:11 AM Post #600 of 928
Basically, it comes down to how much the BCS sucks.  Like how my #8 Spartans are most likely going to get shafted out of a top bowl.

Honestly, I'll be happy as long as we win our bowl game - which is probably going to be against a very good LSU or Alabama team anyway.  And if we were to play the Crimson Tide and win, it couldn't be sweeter revenge against the Devil himself.  Oh, and it'd do something about that reputation the Big 10 has gotten lately.

Oh, and I gotta say - I am so glad the Big 12 didn't break up...  Texas in a "Pac 16" just wouldn't make sense.  And a major conference that big (number of and geographic area of schools) is just asinine.  It'd be cool to see Boise State move to the Big 12 though - moving to the MWC is turning out to be not nearly as good as they had hoped...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back