2006 NBA Playoffs Thread
May 5, 2006 at 4:29 PM Post #63 of 158
I thought that the Lakers was going to win, but man..you have to admire the sun for taking that 3 point shot to try. I think the Lakers's defense kindda broke down in the last 3 mins, plus no one was helping Kobe at the end of the game. Sun was also shooting great during the overtime. I don't think they missed any shot until toward the end of the overtime.

May 5, 2006 at 11:03 PM Post #64 of 158
Quote:

Originally Posted by nabwong
What a game last night.... Barbosa was great! As much as i hate Kobe, i have to admit that he's the best player in the NBA now.... DAMN... What an irritating site.

COME ON SUNS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i hate kobe, too, but he's the best player in the NBA...the sad thing is, i think he'd rather be the best player in the NBA than win more championships, if given a choice b/n the two. flame on, kobe fans.

May 6, 2006 at 12:47 AM Post #65 of 158
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino
i hate kobe, too, but he's the best player in the NBA...the sad thing is, i think he'd rather be the best player in the NBA than win more championships, if given a choice b/n the two. flame on, kobe fans.

I'm not going to flame, I'm not even a huge fanboy of him believe it or not, I'm a Laker fan (name on the front, not the back). But I find it very strange that everyone thinks they know what's going on inside his head. I also find it strange that such commentary comes from fans of teams he has destroyed in previous playoff battles. The Kings have never beaten the Lakers when it counts. That is not a rivalry!
tongue.gif

Last night he made a spectacular 3 to put them up 1 in the closing minutes of the game and then he made a layup to put them up by 3 with less than 30 seconds I believe. All the Lakers had to do after that was play good team defense, deny the 3 point line, and rebound the ball. Game over. Of course, they did none of those things and lost. But how did any of this reflect that he was being selfish? He shot well over 50% and it's how they were able to get back into the lead after being down nearly the entire game. Everyone else was either in foul trouble (Walton, Brown) or they just flat out suck (Smush, Sasha).

Even The Boston Sports Guy, an admitted Kobe hater, can admit that Kobe was doing the right thing that game...

4) Nash missing a 3 that could have killed Phoenix for good, but the rebound miraculously bouncing right to Marion, with the ball eventually landing in Thomas' hands for the series-saving 3. They go on to win the game, and Barkley and Kenny follow by talking about how L.A. screwed up by having Kobe take so many shots. Umm, the Lakers battled foul trouble all game, still had a 3-point lead in the final 20 seconds, and ended up squandering their lead on a game-tying, second-chance 3 by someone who wasn't in the NBA two months ago. It's safe to say they played Game 6 correctly.

May 6, 2006 at 7:00 AM Post #66 of 158
Quote:

Originally Posted by Borat
I'm not going to flame, I'm not even a huge fanboy of him believe it or not, I'm a Laker fan (name on the front, not the back). But I find it very strange that everyone thinks they know what's going on inside his head. I also find it strange that such commentary comes from fans of teams he has destroyed in previous playoff battles. The Kings have never beaten the Lakers when it counts. That is not a rivalry!
tongue.gif

Last night he made a spectacular 3 to put them up 1 in the closing minutes of the game and then he made a layup to put them up by 3 with less than 30 seconds I believe. All the Lakers had to do after that was play good team defense, deny the 3 point line, and rebound the ball. Game over. Of course, they did none of those things and lost. But how did any of this reflect that he was being selfish? He shot well over 50% and it's how they were able to get back into the lead after being down nearly the entire game. Everyone else was either in foul trouble (Walton, Brown) or they just flat out suck (Smush, Sasha).

Even The Boston Sports Guy, an admitted Kobe hater, can admit that Kobe was doing the right thing that game...

4) Nash missing a 3 that could have killed Phoenix for good, but the rebound miraculously bouncing right to Marion, with the ball eventually landing in Thomas' hands for the series-saving 3. They go on to win the game, and Barkley and Kenny follow by talking about how L.A. screwed up by having Kobe take so many shots. Umm, the Lakers battled foul trouble all game, still had a 3-point lead in the final 20 seconds, and ended up squandering their lead on a game-tying, second-chance 3 by someone who wasn't in the NBA two months ago. It's safe to say they played Game 6 correctly.

quit complaining about lucky shots...the lakers have had more in the last few years than many teams...lucky bounce of the ball that miraculously went out to horry against the kings...fisher's lucky shot against the spurs...why is it miraculous only when it's not the lakers? the suns got robbed in game 4 and were lucky in game 6...3-3 is probably about right. should be a good game 7

May 6, 2006 at 7:22 AM Post #67 of 158
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino
quit complaining about lucky shots...the lakers have had more in the last few years than many teams...lucky bounce of the ball that miraculously went out to horry against the kings...fisher's lucky shot against the spurs...why is it miraculous only when it's not the lakers? the suns got robbed in game 4 and were lucky in game 6...3-3 is probably about right. should be a good game 7

Who's complaining? The italicized part of my last post is not me talking, that is a quote from the Boston Sports Guy on ESPN.com (check the link). I know the Lakers have had more than their fair share of luck over the years. I don't think that was a miraculous last shot by Thomas, he's been doing it the whole series. I think the young Lakers were really stupid not to deny the 3 point line. An intentional foul or a concession layup would have been preferable to that.

I was trying to make the point that Kobe did not put his individual goals over the team like you insinuated in your previous post. I used that Sports Guy quote because Charles and Kenny seemed to feel the same way after the game, even though that was not true.

I hope the Lakers come to play tomorrow, but I have my doubts. Besides Kobe, nobody on the roster has any meaningful playoff experience, let alone experience in a game 7 elimination game.

May 6, 2006 at 9:51 AM Post #68 of 158
All this talk about the best player in the NBA and nobody has said anything about Steve Nash or Dirk Novitzki? Kobe may be the most skilled, but that's not to say he's the best IMO. Nash may be winning back to back MVPs. I'd have to say I might call him the best, given that he's taken a team without its dominant player and made it into a playoff contender anyway. I'll be happy to watch the Lakers get beat by them tomorrow.
biggrin.gif

May 6, 2006 at 10:26 AM Post #69 of 158
Quote:

Originally Posted by deez
All this talk about the best player in the NBA and nobody has said anything about Steve Nash or Dirk Novitzki? Kobe may be the most skilled, but that's not to say he's the best IMO. Nash may be winning back to back MVPs. I'd have to say I might call him the best, given that he's taken a team without its dominant player and made it into a playoff contender anyway. I'll be happy to watch the Lakers get beat by them tomorrow.
biggrin.gif

Sad to say, I think Lakers don't really have a chance if Parker doesn't step up. He played awfully last game on 0-5 shooting and 6PF. He is the Lakers' weakest link. If only they had someone like Nash! Kobe will have a lot of pressure with Bell back into the equation. May the best team win!

May 7, 2006 at 2:51 AM Post #70 of 158
The Lakers didn't come to play. The young guys have been playing deflated ever since Tim Thomas hit that 3 to send Game 6 into OT. They didn't recover from that.

They overachieved for those 3 victories, which was pretty fun to watch. Most people didn't even think the Lakers would make the postseason this year. The front office needs to bring some help, namely veterans and better jumpshooters in the offseason. Unfortunately, the Lakers won't have significant cap space until the offseason after this one when Brian Grant's contract comes off the books.

Edit: I get a big kick out of Barkley. He perpetuates this Kobe selfish perception because he is buddies with Shaq, there's no mystery there. The Lakers were not trying to run with the Suns, is he watching the same game? They tried to pound it inside, but Lamar Odom and Kwame Brown could not dominate on the inside. They're not Tim Duncan and Jermaine O'Neal.

Oh, and awesome between game coaching by Phil Jackson! Are you kidding me? He made no adjustments whatsoever. How about calling a timeout earlier when your team gets down? These are not your 90's Bulls or your 2000 Lakers. These guys are not going to "figure it out". You need to coach them!

May 7, 2006 at 3:56 AM Post #71 of 158
sigh...

May 7, 2006 at 4:20 AM Post #72 of 158
Very balanced Suns attack tonight. My boy from Paterson, NJ showed up once again.

May 7, 2006 at 4:32 AM Post #74 of 158
not to take any thing away from the Suns, but supporting casts for Lakers were horrible. Kobe was doing his best to give the ball to them and all they did were missing those shots. I figure that the Lakers knowing that they were going to loose, so they stopped playing in the second half. Funny how Bryant didn't even take over the game in the forth quarter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back