2006 NBA Playoffs Thread
Jun 21, 2006 at 7:16 AM Post #151 of 158
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
Miami is the better team, even on paper. Too much Shaq / Zoe inside. No one slowed D-wade. Miami role players stepped up. Dallas = way too many 3's and nothing going in the paint. Dallas had no chance.

congrats Heat Fans!!

Mavs fans... keep your chin up, mavs have a great future.

Could be a lot worse... You could be a golden state warriors fan.

Garrett

or hawks fan.....

yes and also somebody said avery johnson made a mistake about terry. a)remember terry was the best player in the series and b)he's a rookie coach. how many rookie coach win a final series, on top of winning it against a hall of fame coach?

Quote:

Maybe I was a little harsh there...
But basically champs of the past 10 years have always established offense/defense in the paint.

yes unless you have a michael jordan

Jun 21, 2006 at 7:23 AM Post #152 of 158
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
Maybe I was a little harsh there...
But basically champs of the past 10 years have always established offense/defense in the paint.

duncan/robinson, Shaq-LA, Robinsons in detroit. going back further Olajuwon, parish and Jabar.

Dallas has nothing in the paint. Dampier had a decent series, but no way can he offset Shaq and mourning.

Forget Dirk, forget terry.. Outside shooting NEVER wins championships, when its your primary weapon.

On paper Miami is the better team in the paint... thats all that has mattered in recent finals history.

I see no need to discuss this till next season

This didn't seem to stop Dallas from getting past the Spurs and Tim Duncan. Mourning is a better shot blocker than anyone on the Mavs, but I don't think that was the difference maker.

The first two games Dallas won both by double digits. The only game that was won decisively by Miami was Game 4. The other games Dallas lost by 1, 2, and 3 points respectively. It's not like Shaq and Mourning dominated by any stretch of the imagination. Dallas constantly shot themselves in the foot by taking jumpshots early in the possessions which led to fast breaks for the Heat. The Mavs young players made crucial mistakes down the stretch, which cost them those games. And Miami had a group of veterans and the best closer on either team in Dwyane Wade. That was the main difference, not in the paint play. Plus Dwyane was able to get to the free-throw line a record 97 times, which helped a ton.

Jun 21, 2006 at 1:04 PM Post #154 of 158
Quote:

yes and also somebody said avery johnson made a mistake about terry. a)remember terry was the best player in the series and b)he's a rookie coach. how many rookie coach win a final series, on top of winning it against a hall of fame coach?

It is an accomplishment for Avery Johnson. Yes, Jason terry was thier best player in the the last 3 or 4 games, but he is still second from Dirk. My point was no matter how much your best player struggled, you still need to give him the ball to rebuild his confidence, b/c Dirk is the second best PF in the league at the moment.

Jun 21, 2006 at 2:50 PM Post #155 of 158
Miami's freethrows: 207
Dallas' freethrows: 155
Total freethrows: 362
Wade's freethrows: 97
Wade gets 27% of attempts by himself?

You can say I'm biased but I've been watching the nba since I was a kid and I enjoy watching different teams play. I don't mind that the heat won because they're my favorite team in the east. There were about 3 times where wade was driving to the basket and drew a foul on someone 2 feet away from him. No contact whatsoever. You can say it doesn't matter but just imagine what it does to a team that can't even put a body on the opponents best player just because he'll pick up a foul. How the hell are you supposed to cover that? Answer is you can't.

Don't get me started on the suspension of stackhouse. The nutgrabber from Memphis got off clean...I see. Raja Bell gets one game suspension for clotheslining kobe...I see.

Mavs might have lost but we're in better shape for next season to make it just as far again. With a roster change or two we'll definately stand a better chance.

Jun 21, 2006 at 3:11 PM Post #156 of 158
Quote:

Originally Posted by jl123
Miami's freethrows: 207
Dallas' freethrows: 155
Total freethrows: 362
Wade's freethrows: 97
Wade gets 27% of attempts by himself?

'Star' Players who drive aggresively to the basket always get the calls, look at Jordan and Iverson. Wade is maybe the best in the league at going strong. The Heat seemed destined to win, I can see why some Dallas fans might think it was pre-ordained.

Jun 21, 2006 at 3:14 PM Post #157 of 158
very well said fellas.... especially on the freethrow disparity, but thats what happens when you settle for jumpers. No way the refs are going to call fouls if all you do is bomb 20 footers all day, or settle for fade-aways. IMHO dallas could have gotten a lot more foul calls, had they aggressively drove to the paint more. Yes there were bad calls, throughout the series.... but throughout history, the player thats aggressive in the paint and drives gets those bad calls (jordan, malone, barkley, hakeem, worthy etc...). That can carry you through 45 minutes of play. The last 3 minutes though, it all boils down to execution and who can make the big plays.

Borat riased a good point... that it really came down to a couple critical plays late in the games that were the difference makers.

Im just kind of frustrated that dallas took so many 3-pointers and settled for jumpers (&fade-aways) far too often. Would have liked to see them try something different. Maybe have a backup game plan of some sort when the shooting goes cold. I watched Eric Dampier for 7 years when he was in the bay area, theres a lot more to his game than we saw in this series.

Hats off to Avery Johnson though. He had a great year.

Jun 21, 2006 at 5:04 PM Post #158 of 158
Quote:

very well said fellas.... especially on the freethrow disparity, but thats what happens when you settle for jumpers. No way the refs are going to call fouls if all you do is bomb 20 footers all day, or settle for fade-aways. IMHO dallas could have gotten a lot more foul calls, had they aggressively drove to the paint more. Yes there were bad calls, throughout the series.... but throughout history, the player thats aggressive in the paint and drives gets those bad calls (jordan, malone, barkley, hakeem, worthy etc...). That can carry you through 45 minutes of play. The last 3 minutes though, it all boils down to execution and who can make the big plays.

I agree with you on the jump shots. After 5 mins into the 3rd quarter, I already knew that were going to loose. No spark, no good offense, and every time they were having good run, the heat was always reponding. Dirk must be very angry right now....for himself and his team. I kindda notice that the team chemistry was going down hill after the end of game 4. I also noticed that Wade elbowed Dirk with about minute left on the clock and still got the foul.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back