2006 NBA Playoffs Thread
May 1, 2006 at 4:20 AM Post #16 of 158
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfrenchman27
I fail to see how Kobe Bryant is indisputably the best player in the game, given Lebron James' (stronger inside, younger) and Dwayne Wade's (better defensively, younger) performances.

LeBron James is a bigger body, but he is not as good in the post as Kobe Bryant. His footwork is not as good. Dwyane Wade is better than Kobe at defense? That is not my impression. When you need a lockdown perimeter defender, you go to Ron Artest, Bruce Bowen, and Kobe Bryant (in that order). And they're both younger, but is Kobe playing like an old man? And his physical conditioning is second to none. I'm not saying Wade and James don't train, but Bryant's work ethic is widely praised by everyone. Jordan didn't win his first title until he was 28. There's lots of time.

Quote:

Both of these players have higher FG percentages and are only going to get better, whereas Kobe has reached his peak and still can't out-rebound or setup players the way those two players have. The only reason why those two players don't rack up points the way Kobe has is because both of them have a better supporting cast of players.

Because otherwise they would both have 62 points in 3 quarters and 81 point games? Tons of games in the 50's and 40's? Kobe Bryant is having a historic year in terms of offensive output. I thought Kobe had peaked in the 2001 playoffs, but I was wrong. And he keeps doing stuff like he did today. Wade and James have better supporting casts, yet Bryant is in the much more competitive Western Conference and he has his team in the same position in the playoffs. And he can't setup players? What's been happening in this very series? He is controlling the game! And his FG percentage suffers because of bail out shots at the end of shot clocks, which happens very frequently with players who have never played in the triangle offense and fail to execute it properly (most of the Lakers this year).

Quote:

I'd agree with you that retaining Shaq was not the best move for the Lakers; what I do disagree with is one of the underlying motives for making that move, which was to accommodate Kobe.

"Accomodate" the best young player in the game? Why would an NBA team owner want to do that? Dr. Buss saw that the Shaq and Kobe pairing had gone as far as it could go at the end of the pounding they took in the Finals against Detroit. It was time to rebuild around Kobe. Initially, the plan was to keep them both and gradually shift to build the team around Kobe's strengths. This is what you have to do, build around the young superstar as he is entering his prime. But Shaq was not willing to accomodate the Lakers so he acted up like a child not getting what he wanted (a max money contract extension) and forced a trade. Do you think that anyone in Shaq's life had ever told him "no" prior to Buss doing so? I don't.

Dr. Buss also thought that the new look Lakers would be better off with a run and gun type offense (a la Showtime 80's) as opposed to the triangle, so he booted Phil Jackson. Of course, after Tomjanovich quit on the Lakers last season followed by their post all-star break debacle, he quickly changed his mind.
icon10.gif

Quote:

The Lakers' draft and trade strategy in recent years has not helped their cause; whether it's nepotism (Luke Walton) or myopic talent evaluation (Kwame Brown), this team is going to fall flat on its face for want of depth.

Uh...what? How is it nepotism to draft Walton, we're not the Celtics or the Blazers? And he was the 32nd pick in the second round, what else can you get there? We're lucky he is even able to play at all. And what he lacks in athleticism and natural ability, he makes up for with his IQ and passing. Trading for Brown was definitely a gamble, but it is starting to pay dividends. We had Caron Butler and Lamar Odom, one of them had to go as they were the only real tradeable assets aside from Bryant. If you have an opportunity to trade a small for a BIG athletic frontcourt player with untapped potential, you have to risk it. Butler would have been redundant on this team. I was against it at first due to Kwame's history, but he is actually turning into a player on the Lakers as a center. That is his real position. The Wizards and Lakers early on were trying to play him as a 4.

The depth thing is a problem because the Lakers were good for so long that they were choosing so late in the draft. And the scouting was clearly not as good as a team like San Antonio. But look, they are already in the playoffs again after losing the most dominant player of the last era, in the West no less. Teams like the Knicks, Hawks, Jazz, etc. get to pick early on every year and they're still not in the playoffs and they haven't been for some time. This is what can happen when you currently have the best player in the game.

May 1, 2006 at 4:39 AM Post #17 of 158
Thanks Borat, for writing what I wanted to but didn't have the time to. Nice work. And I gotta say again, this post season style for the lakers has been a wild switch. All starters going for double digit points, double doubles to multiple players, Kobe talking about how much fun it is to play team basketball... it's weird. But I like it. Go Lakers.

Oh yeah, and I think back in the day, Bill Walton wanted to play for the Lakers but got turned down because he was constantly banged up. And on another side note it really bothers me (and my roommate too) that Bill never gives Luke any props, even when given the opportunity. But I might just be projecting.

May 1, 2006 at 4:42 AM Post #18 of 158
Quote:

Originally Posted by usc goose
And on another side note it really bothers me (and my roommate too) that Bill never gives Luke any props, even when given the opportunity. But I might just be projecting.

Bill can't talk up his own son during TV broadcasts, that would be nepotism.
icon10.gif

May 1, 2006 at 5:04 AM Post #21 of 158
I don't know what you guys are aruging about. KOBE BRYANT is the best player in the NBA. Period! He can freaking get any shots he wants, where ever he wants, and no one can guard him straight up (one-on-one/ man-to-man defense). Let me put it this way, if you life is on the line, who would you want to play for you? (you can pick anyone alive in the NBA)

The answer is simple, it comes down to Shaq or Kobe. But at least Kobe can make free throws.
biggrin.gif

And i'm not just talking out of my @$$ here, I watch ESPN night and day, I listen to sports radio, I freaking read about sports; EVERY sport analysts have agreed that kobe bryant is the best player in the NBA.

I don't care if you don't like Kobe, but please know what you are talking about if you post. Don't be saying LeBron, Nash, or Wade are better than Kobe. If you have been watching the NBA this season at all, you'll know that's a bogus statement.

Moreover, 81 freaking points in 1 game when the lakers were down by 19 points to the raptor. Ooh if you didn't watch that game, don't bother posting saying 'kobe is a ball hog" becaue he didn't.

I'm no expert in the NBA, if I was, I would be making money writing about sports. But i hated when people write about stuff when they only watch like 30 games a season.

P.S.
Go Miami Heat!

May 1, 2006 at 5:08 AM Post #22 of 158
Mav is great, infact, they might win the Western Conference Championship. I'm a big fan of the Spurs, but after watching them play agaisnt the Kings for the last two games, I'm very disappointed.

Nazr, and Rasho are not as good as they use to be. Both of them (especially Nazr) failed to convert easy buckets and often failed to grab a rebound. Everything is now up to Tim Duncan and Parker. Duncan is playing hurt, and Parker is not that consistant. Manu is definitely below average, and not himeself. He turned the ball over and caused them the thrid game. The Spurs defense is going downhill and their offense are struggling against the King's defense. I'm not sure if the Spurs will get through, but if they do, they will have a very tough time playing against the Mav.

May 1, 2006 at 5:19 AM Post #23 of 158
The Kings even the series with the Spurs and win by 18 points. Bonzi played one heckuva game and Genobli was held to 3 points. Back to San Antonio to start the series again.

May 1, 2006 at 5:31 AM Post #24 of 158
Quote:

Originally Posted by Borat
Bill can't talk up his own son during TV broadcasts, that would be nepotism.
icon10.gif

i figured it might be something like that. but in the post game wrap up after game 3, bill walton was talking with the other anouncer (i forget who) and the other guy was saying how great luke was playing and how bill should tell his son he had a great game and all bill could say was, i'm going to have to talk to him about that flagrant. but like i said, i'm probably projecting.

May 1, 2006 at 5:53 AM Post #26 of 158
Quote:

Originally Posted by JahJahBinks
well, he did score 82 once.

kobe? i think it was 81.

May 1, 2006 at 6:01 AM Post #27 of 158
Quote:

Originally Posted by JMT
The Kings even the series with the Spurs and win by 18 points. Bonzi played one heckuva game and Genobli was held to 3 points. Back to San Antonio to start the series again.

it really was quite the game...couldn't believe how dominating the kings were...it's amazing how unstoppable parker looked in the first two games and how bad he's looked the last two.

but did you guys watch TNT's "inside the NBA" after the game? the "hands in the cookie jar" comment by ernie johnson and barkley's comments afterward were some of the funniest stuff i've seen in a while...

May 1, 2006 at 6:16 AM Post #28 of 158
Well, the only reason why the series is tied up is because Brent Barry got the lucky bounce on that 3-ball in game 2. Otherwise Sacto would've been up 3-1.

May 1, 2006 at 7:08 AM Post #30 of 158
I've really been missing out on the NBA games the last few years. I really love watching it, but its hard to find the time. Actually the last game I watched was the one where Kobe scored 81, and that was only because I kept hearing about what a great game it was. It was an amazing performance no question, but to be perfectly honest the game itself was pretty pathetic. For the majority of the second half Kobe literally took every shot. It wouldn't be so bad, except that it was completely obvious that his teammates weren't even trying to play offense. Kobe would bring it down, pass the ball off, get it back and then try to create something while the rest of his team just stood there and watched. The Raptors defense that game was horrible to watch as well.

All this talk of Kobe actually passing the ball has me intrigued though. I never thought I would live to see the day that he would actually listen to Phil Jackson for once. I'm not a Lakers fan at all, but I think I'll have to make an effort to watch the rest of this series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back