<200$ shortlist : Senn, Audio Technica, Ultrasone & Shure - Need Advices.
Apr 3, 2011 at 8:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

ytzelf

New Head-Fier
Hey everybody,

I am new to these forum, write from France and would like to replace my Senn HD238, which were OK for me but way to fragile (broke two in 18months, bent the plug). So I decided to go for a slightly higher tier, with a budget of $100-$200.

These are my criteria
  1. Has to be portable, will be using it walking, commuting, in the train and (rarely) flying.
  2. I listen mostly to psychedelic pop (think Love, The Millenium, The Zombies), garage (think 13th floor elevator, Nuggets) and classical (mostly piano). I happen to listen to some other genre (rock, electro, reggae) as well, but way less though. I am Definitely not  a basshead and would like a pair that performs on a decent range of genres, and that is fairly detailed (I need that for old garage rock).
  3. Has to be powerable from my iPhone / iPod Classic
  4. Not too bulky
  5. MAX $200
  6. Design-wise, I love it classic.

Keeping these un mind I came up with this shortlist : 
  1. Senn HD238i : obviously no improvement in sound quality over my previous hd238 but the iphone-friendly mic and volume are def a plus
  2. Senn PX360 : these seem pretty new and I wasnt able to collect relevant datas. Thoughts anyone? Is the cable straight or coiled?
  3. Shure SRH840 : these ones are acclaimed here, but may be a lil bit too bulky (im searching for portable). I kind of dislike the coiled wire as well.
  4. Grado SR125i : from what I've read here and there these are an absolute winner for rock music. If anybody tested them on the genres I mentionned before, a feedback would be nice =). They look cheap (especially the foam pads... does a leather-y replacement exist?)
  5. Audio Technica ES55 : the most portable, some feedback on their comfort and how they compare with the rest sound quality-wise would be awesome.
  6. Ultrasone HFI580 : added after reading a few reviews, they are portable and within my price range.. Any feedback comparing these to the other phones stated would be great

Is this list coherent and which one would you pick? Also, advices are welcome concerning unlisted phones =)). 

Thank you all (and please don't mind the mistakes), without this forum I wouldnt even have been able to come up with a shortlist...

EDIT : Added the Ultrasones

Apr 4, 2011 at 9:24 PM Post #3 of 8
I have limited experience with headphones, but your sound preferences lead me to believe that Grado's would be a great match for you. Beware though, Grado's arent exactly built solid.

Edit: Also, sense you will be using these while commuting, you want open headphones in order to be aware of your surroundings.

I'm not sure if it would be an upgrade, or even possibly a downgrade to your current set, but have you tried KSC75 Clip-ons? A lot of head-fi'ers love this pair, they are cheap, and while they dont offer the best sound quality, they give a very fun sound.

Apr 5, 2011 at 5:24 AM Post #4 of 8
Hey thank you for the feedback. I was really searching for a pair of headphones though..
Which open headphone would you recommend then (my options are all closed except grados).

Apr 5, 2011 at 9:30 AM Post #6 of 8
I dont recommend ANY of those listed, you will be very sad if you get one of them for your portable.  For $200 you can do awesome in the portable world, a used phiaton MS400, Audio Technica ESW9, Beyer T50p.  All three are often sold here for under $200 and that is really what you should look into.  

Apr 5, 2011 at 10:25 AM Post #7 of 8

Quote:
I dont recommend ANY of those listed, you will be very sad if you get one of them for your portable.  For $200 you can do awesome in the portable world, a used phiaton MS400, Audio Technica ESW9, Beyer T50p.  All three are often sold here for under $200 and that is really what you should look into.  

Thanks for the input, it will be hard to buy second hand since I live in France. I will be in NY area first week of May though, and that's when I will be buying my pair (all headphones listed are way more expensive in France - and that's when they're available). Phiaton and Beyer are definitely a no-go look-wise. I definitely dig the esw9 though, its selling for $229 at JR right now, I could definitely push it to that price if the SQ/Portability is worth it... that I'll let to your advices (and my trying in May) =)

Oh, and why would I be THAT sad? Too bulky / need of amp / lack of comfort?

Apr 5, 2011 at 11:02 AM Post #8 of 8
the shure 840 and the 580 are huge, and the Grado is open back and the cable makes it extremely annoying to carry around.  If you could get your hands on the esw9, do it, its the best sounding and most comfortable out of them all

Users who are viewing this thread

Back