200$ max headphones with case?
Aug 6, 2011 at 2:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

halpsb

New Head-Fier
Hi, I am new on this forum but I've been coming here many times, to look at headphones reviews.
I am asking for your help today because I'm looking for some Headphones with a maximum price of 200$ (or slightly more), and don't know what to choose.

I always listen to music on my iPhone, and I carry my music with me everywhere I go.
Therefore, I am looking for some headphones that could easily be carried around (ie: in a bag) and protected by a case.
I listen mostly to rock music (Pop, Indie, alternative, punk) and a little of electronic. 
The only headsets I've owned were cheap (porta pro, px 100/200) and i'm looking for something better.

What would you guys recommend?

Thank you in advance for anyone that tries to help me :D

Etienne.

Aug 6, 2011 at 3:27 PM Post #2 of 13
Now, the Fullsized term as portable means:

Can be put in a large bag better then a non folding fullsized
or
Can be worn around neck while walking.

Now to put in your pocket is portable forum down the road from here.

Also, fullsized cases aren't made to be carried around. Some cans come with a leather bag, but that's far from portable when it's about the size of a musk melon or small watermelon

Here's a large round up with a lot of "portable" cans in there.
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/433318/shootout-84-portable-headphones-reviewed-fischer-audio-fa-004-koss-ur55-added-06-06

Other then that, the best "portable" cans I can think of are Grado because they go around the neck well, have a relatively short cord and isolate well when music is playing.

Grado Sr125i
or
Shure 750Dj
or
Koss DJ100
or
ATH-M50

Aug 6, 2011 at 4:31 PM Post #3 of 13

Quote:
Hi, I am new on this forum but I've been coming here many times, to look at headphones reviews.
I am asking for your help today because I'm looking for some Headphones with a maximum price of 200$ (or slightly more), and don't know what to choose.

I always listen to music on my iPhone, and I carry my music with me everywhere I go.
Therefore, I am looking for some headphones that could easily be carried around (ie: in a bag) and protected by a case.
I listen mostly to rock music (Pop, Indie, alternative, punk) and a little of electronic. 
The only headsets I've owned were cheap (porta pro, px 100/200) and i'm looking for something better.

What would you guys recommend?

Thank you in advance for anyone that tries to help me :D

Etienne.

Heya,

Ultrasone HFI 580. Comes with a carrying bag. Closed back, covers your genres decently, looks classy. Take a look at the BeyerDynamic DT660 as well. Check out the Shure 840's (if you could swing more budget, the Shure 940's).

One thing I want to point out, get whatever headphone you want. A Grado 225 would be excellent for you. Even though it's open-air. If isolation is an issue, then look at a closed back (like the HFI 580). If you need a carrying case, you can use a hard gun case and it's better than any headphone case that you get with a headphone. It will be hard, foam insert, cut foam to fit headphone. Best protection you can get. If you just want something to carry them in, well, there ya go. You can get gun cases in all kinds of sizes. Get a pistol size. Good to go.

Very best,

Aug 6, 2011 at 4:39 PM Post #4 of 13
Without doubt, the ath m50. It sounds fantastic unamped, is very balanced, and accents well in the low frequences.

I would not recommend the grados for portable use because they are open back (which means they leak tons of sound) and dont sound as nice driven from only an ipod. They also look a bit wild in public and people will wonder if you own a delorean 
L3000.gif

m50 is your best bet on this one, its one of the highest rated cans and can outperform well above its weight class (ie price)

Aug 6, 2011 at 4:46 PM Post #5 of 13

Quote:
Without doubt, the ath m50. It sounds fantastic unamped, is very balanced, and accents well in the low frequences.

I would not recommend the grados for portable use because they are open back (which means they leak tons of sound) and dont sound as nice driven from only an ipod. They also look a bit wild in public and people will wonder if you own a delorean 
L3000.gif

m50 is your best bet on this one, its one of the highest rated cans and can outperform well above its weight class (ie price)

I think you should try some Ultrasones...
After that you will reconsider your opinion about m50...

Aug 6, 2011 at 6:59 PM Post #6 of 13
Thanks a lot for your replies guys! I really appreciate it.
I analyzed and read about every headphones you guys recommended and I am now torn between the ATH M50 and the Sennheiser HD25-1 ii.
I don't know which one to choose and I am terrible at making decisions. The more I read about them, the harder it gets!

It seems like the M50's are more solid than the HD 25-1 ii and also fold very nicely.
But the HD 25-1 ii are known for being a safe value and having a very nice sound for the kind of music I listen to (Mainly Rock and a little of Electronica).

The M50's are also quite cheaper.. 

What would you guys do in my position? I know some of you have recommended I get the M50's but have you tried the HD25-1 ii's? How do they compare?

Thanks again for all your help !

Etienne.

Aug 6, 2011 at 8:02 PM Post #8 of 13

Quote:
Thanks a lot for your replies guys! I really appreciate it.
I analyzed and read about every headphones you guys recommended and I am now torn between the ATH M50 and the Sennheiser HD25-1 ii.
I don't know which one to choose and I am terrible at making decisions. The more I read about them, the harder it gets!

It seems like the M50's are more solid than the HD 25-1 ii and also fold very nicely.
But the HD 25-1 ii are known for being a safe value and having a very nice sound for the kind of music I listen to (Mainly Rock and a little of Electronica).

The M50's are also quite cheaper.. 

What would you guys do in my position? I know some of you have recommended I get the M50's but have you tried the HD25-1 ii's? How do they compare?

Thanks again for all your help !

Etienne.

Why are you ignoring the HFI 580's? Don't be fooled by all the hype of the M50's. They are good but not the end all be all.

Aug 6, 2011 at 8:09 PM Post #9 of 13
The Sennheisers are the superior headphone in nearly every way (and I say that as an AT fanboy).  If you have the money go for them, as one of the best sounding portable headphones out there. They are also very durable in construction, with everything on them being replaceable, so a simple bag would be enough to store them rather than a hard case.

If you are looking for Audio Technica models them the ES9 or 10 are both better than the M50.  However in sound the Senns are better than both of them. Another model to consider in the slightly more than $200 range would be the new Beyerdynamic DT1350.  These are probably better overall than the HD25s, but can be difficult to find the ideal position on your head to get the best bass.

If I was choosing in this price range I think I would order my choices:
1. Beyer DT 1350
2. Sennheiser HD25-1
3. ATH  ES 10 (might be too pricey now I look online)

All are designed to be portable (forget Grados for portability), all are closed to avoid annoying people around you, and all have near audiophile sound. If you want isolation from external sound yourself, then the Beyers are the best, followed closely by the Senns, with no ATH model being particularly good for this.

Aug 6, 2011 at 8:40 PM Post #10 of 13
Actually I find it very interesting that you talk about the Beyer DT1350, because I stumbled upon this video a few hours ago:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aahpv0_DDFE

At first I was quite interested by the DT1350, especially for its nice reviews and case it comes with.
But many times in the video (For example: starting at 10:40), the guy talks about how the HD25-1 ii are better for Pop Rock/Electronica music, and I think that is the main reason why I didn't consider the DT1350 as much.

I also don't really like the idea of having to find a good position on my head to get a particular sound, I like to just plug my headphones and listen to my music right away.

So after watching this video, I thought to myself: Maybe spending 100$ more on the DT1350 is not such a good idea?

The HFI 580's also seem amazing but I wasn't able to find a lot of reviews on them, and didn't get an good idea on how they compare to the other models.
I guess I thought about going for the HD25-1 ii or the M50 because of the number of good reviews and how much they have been recommended. I am still considering the HFI 580.

I have to say, it's a very tough decision to make, even though they are all very good.

Thank you for your help.
Etienne.

Aug 6, 2011 at 9:09 PM Post #11 of 13
There was a recommendation for the Shure SRH750DJ. I agree they are good value but build quality wise they are the achiles heel of Shure SRH series headphones. Also they are not very portable. The same person recommended Grado. Well I have Grado's and they are not good portable cans. This is due to the open back nature of Grado's and their habit to leak into the environment which would tick a lot of people off. For portable cans I would look at the Sennheiser hd25 1 ii.

Aug 6, 2011 at 9:25 PM Post #12 of 13
I recommend also looking at the Sony V6. I prefer them to the M50's and the HD-25, although both of those headphones are good too. I just enjoy the V6's more because of their open-ness, detail, and I just find their overall sound better. Also the V6's are way more comfortable. The most comfortable headphone I own actually. 

Aug 6, 2011 at 11:49 PM Post #13 of 13
Okay, I have just looked at many many reviews and forums, and a lot of people seem to say the M50's aren't as portable as the HD25-1 ii's: they are still big when folded, and are quite heavier. 

For example, I found this:

Quote:
I own the ATH M-50 and love them, but would never use them for commuting/outdoors. They're too bulky and heavy. Plus they're quite big. In fact If I had to find a minor complaint with them it would be that I'm constantly aware I have them on due to the weight and sometimes my neck hurts.

I don't know if you guys have the same problem or not, but that is not what I'm looking for.
They also have different sound signatures, and it seems like the HD25-1 ii's are more fitted for the kind of music I listen to.
Plus, they are smaller, more portable, every part is replacable.
I found a nice review here: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/431705/review-sennheiser-hd-25-1-ii

For the moment, I'm thinking about going with the the HD25-1 ii's... But there is also the Sony V6 roma101 talked about (that is the MDR-V6 I suppose?) and the HFI 580's that look very interesting.

It's definitely going to be a hard choice!

Thank you again for your help.
Etienne.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back