200$ closed caps for iPhone usage.
Jan 11, 2012 at 3:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

madferit

New Head-Fier
Hello all,

I've been looking for caps that I would use with my iPhone for some time now. Initially, I was planning on buying Sennheisers HD25-1 II. I owned a number of Sennheiser headphones over several past years and was happy with every single one of them. I am using HD555s as desktop headphones and find them quite enjoyable as well. Well, back to the point. During the holidays HD25s could be had on Amazon for something like 150 bucks. And having read a lot of very positive reviews I was almost certain on getting them. I was planning on using a portable amp as well (Fiio E5 or something like that). Shortly after the holidays its price went back to normal 200$. Since then I've read a lot about iPhone's poor sound and that spending 200$ on headphones might not worth it, moreover, a portable amp won't improve the situation greatly. If I am to buy the Sennheisers that's going be 200$ + delivery charges (that should be like 30$). So, it rounds up to 230$ which is a little out of my budget.

So I started looking for alternatives. So far I'm looking at AKG Q460 and Klipch Image One. I really liked the looks AKGs, the reviews are mostly favourable, and they can be had for an attractive price of 92$ on Amazon at the moment. And right now they seem to be the only headphones I'm ready to buy. Not so sure about Klipchs though. Looking for other options. Although I'm still eager to get myself HD25s, I'm not sure if it'll worth spending something around 300$, since they will require amping.

I mostly listen to rock music like britpop, indie, punk, hard rock, and alternative. And bands like Oasis, The Verve, Kasabian, The Beatles, The Velvet Underground etc.

Jan 12, 2012 at 3:46 AM Post #2 of 23
okay, having done a little research I'm choosing between Senn HD25-1 II, Aiaiai TMA-1, AKG Q460, Klipsch Image ONE, and V-moda Crossfade M-80. More suggestions?
And since I will be using them mostly in noisy environments they have to be closed, on ear, and preferably with one sided cable.

I have already stated my music preferences in the previous post.

Jan 12, 2012 at 4:10 AM Post #3 of 23
I think the klipsch were a bit of a disappointment for the community and there is also a big price drop in the street price.
The hd25 price could drop more because there is a newer version coming out soon. There wont be a significant change in sound quality though.
U can use this website to monitor the hd25 price if you want. It seems the price changes very often.
Take a look at the Ultrasone DJ1 PRO as well and some other utrasone models. I know people really like those.

Jan 12, 2012 at 7:23 AM Post #4 of 23

Quote:
I think the klipsch were a bit of a disappointment for the community and there is also a big price drop in the street price.
The hd25 price could drop more because there is a newer version coming out soon. There wont be a significant change in sound quality though.
U can use this website to monitor the hd25 price if you want. It seems the price changes very often.
Take a look at the Ultrasone DJ1 PRO as well and some other utrasone models. I know people really like those.

Thanks a lot. The DJ1 PROs look really cool, but from what I saw all Ultrasone headphones are over-ear and look kinda bulky which is a little too much for portable headphones, even though they're collapsable.

I really liked V-Moda's M-80s, especially after watching Inner Fidelity review, which I'm about to read now.

Jan 14, 2012 at 3:12 AM Post #6 of 23
Right now I'm not sure what it is I want. The M-80s are really good-looking, built like tanks and all. While Sennhs are time-proved and have more potential in terms of sound due to the 70 ohm impedance
HELP

Jan 14, 2012 at 11:52 AM Post #9 of 23
DT1350 deserves a look too -- truly excellent SQ in a portable.

Jan 21, 2012 at 11:55 AM Post #11 of 23
been quite busy lately, haven't been having much time to read about headphones. if anyone's got more suggestions I'd be more than happy to listen to them.

at the moment I'm choosing between Senn HD25-1 II and V-moda's M or V 80s. For some moment I even though that I decided on them, but I read that they have poor isolation. I need to know how poor it is. I've been using Philips' SHE3570BW IEMs for quite some time now, and isolation might be an issue if I'm listening to low-noise music, and from what I've read IEMs are better with isolation than on-ears. These Philips' aren't deep though.

Jan 21, 2012 at 1:06 PM Post #13 of 23
the bus engine isn't the problem here. the problem is my driver listening pakistani/indian radion through car speakers (no offense to you people, but your music really does suck), as well as riding with open windows on highway.
I guess I'll just have to read a cople more review before I decide.

Jan 21, 2012 at 1:23 PM Post #14 of 23

Quote:
the bus engine isn't the problem here. the problem is my driver listening pakistani/indian radion through car speakers (no offense to you people, but your music really does suck), as well as riding with open windows on highway.
I guess I'll just have to read a cople more review before I decide.

Curious, what kind of music blares through the car's speaker :p

Jan 21, 2012 at 2:04 PM Post #15 of 23
the one that you don't wanna listen to, the one that makes your ears bleed and your eyes go all black. if I don't have my music on me, I'd put my head out of the window, if you're on a highway that really does help. or simply ask him to turn it of which I don't do very often cause he seems to be really devastated by that

Users who are viewing this thread

Back