$200 - $400 headphone - correct my conclusions/make inputs/recommendations
Dec 21, 2010 at 6:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

aleex

100+ Head-Fier
I've been doing some proper browsing of this forum and some googling also before creating this thread, so I feel like I have a little knowledge now - but too little to decide if I should buy that or that.

I'd say my favorite genres are a)hiphop(40%), b) "acoustic-electro"(30%), c)(indie)rock like Spoon/The Coral (30%). My favourite albums/artists are probably in these genres, though I have some outsiders like Paul Simon's Graceland, Electric Light Orchestras' Eldorado. Some electro/house like Slagsmålsklubben, Röyksopp, Style Of Eye and Familjen are also liked. A little bit of pop too.

Zero classical and metal though.

So, regarding the Beyer DT-series, what have I concluded?
  1. If you can drive them you should get the 600 Ohm, otherwise 250 will do. The differences are there, but not big, especially not for the non-audiophile.
  2. The 880 is more neutral than the 990 and 770.
  3. The 770 is bassy with recessed mids.
  4. But the 990's superior to the 770, though it may still suffer from recessed mids.
  5. There are several versions of the phones, where the 990 Pro is worse than the 990 Premium/05'.
  6. Overall the 990 Premium 250 Ohm/600 Ohm is one of the best/most popular bass cans out there.

So, are these conclusions fairly right?

I was planning to get the DT-990 Pro(didn't know there were Premiums as well) 250 Ohm($200/150 eur) with a Fiio E9/E7 combo from mp4nation ($240 w/ shipping & VAT, cheapest compared to Europe) but I then found out that the 990 Premiums were like 300 EUR($450~) and I wonder, will the difference in SQ justify the 150~ euro ($200) difference? I've read both yes and no, or something more like "get it if you can afford it".

The DT-770 Pro 250 Ohm still seem nice for the average user, but I don't want to end up like the majority of the members here having 7 phones before finding a really good one. I've looked some at the HD650 and saw a thread where the majority actually recommended it for hiphop, but now in recent threads I've seen posts suggesting they own for classical but suck for hiphop. So which is it? Good for hiphop/genres listed above or not? Is it in fact a good allround can?

Right now I'm leaning towards DT990 Pro 250 Ohm, DT770 Pro 250 Ohm or HD650 (all w/ Fiio E7/E9 bundle). What I'd like you to do is answer my questions, give inputs and recommendations etc. Sorry for the wall of text also, can rephrase if you'd like. And I know that 770 is closed while 990 is semi-open, I don't mind either as long as SQ delivers...etc.

Dec 21, 2010 at 6:47 PM Post #2 of 13
Although plenty of testimonies exist on "different sound with different impedance" regarding the DT-series, I do not believe this. I believe that it is the amp, or its innards, behaving slightly differently under different voltage/currents.
I admit that I have not heard all the DT880-32, DT880-250 and DT880-600 for that I only own the DT880-32. I am starting to consider whether to exchange this pair for the 250 version <=> 1, the HAGL doesn't seem to have high currents (volume dial at half to get proper loudness) and 2, I would probably like to go tubes in the future (and the Valhalla is OTL). Or maybe I should just exchange the HAGL for an Asgard, but the heat issue. Hmm.
Oh and uh, the DT880 is semi-open. The 990 is fully open, but if you check the enclosures, the DT880 has an opener back cover than the multi-pane shutter design of the 990. Although internal damping/filtering systems are most probably different...

Dec 22, 2010 at 8:33 AM Post #3 of 13
Well if there is little to no difference I won't have the chase the 600 Ohms. But still, the question remains: is the difference in SQ between the DT 990 Pro and the DT 990 Premium/2005 Ed so great that it justifies the price difference of 150 Euros($200)?

IF - would the DT990 Premiums be in the same class as the HD650 or are they just terribly overpriced in Europe(more than $400 for DT990 premium here)? I know the DT-990's got more bass, but I think one could still compare them and say if it's one tier above, below or the same.

Though if anyone could tip me off where to get the Premium ones in Europe for $200 I'll probably grab them right away, even if they're used. General used-hifi-sites for Europe would be good too since most sellers are american in this forum.
I found a pair of hardly used and new HD650's for $370 on a site in Sweden which is $30 below thomann.de and $70 below swedish retail price, but I'm still unsure..I won't be able to return 'em if I'm not satisfied w/ bass or something.

Dec 22, 2010 at 8:57 AM Post #4 of 13
I don't think its worth such a drastic price difference, though I haven't heard the 990 pros, only the premiums. Especially since in the US the price difference between the 2 is much smaller (maybe about $50?) I don't see why it should be so expensive in Europe though... Aren't they made in Europe in the first place?

Dec 22, 2010 at 9:40 AM Post #5 of 13
Well I haven't checked all Europe but both british and german amazon had such high prices, and Germany's usually got the lowest prices in Europe for hifi. I could import from US but then I have the 25% VAT and shipping to add.

But how big's the difference between the Pros and Premiums really, from a noob's perspective? I read little about it and people said they were much worse than the Premiums, but I'm not as picky as others and people tend to just pass on rumours and information without actually testing products..

Dec 22, 2010 at 9:41 AM Post #6 of 13
the 990 are very trebly cans, some people would prefer the 770 for hiphop f.e.

(sorry if I mess with your decisions now)

In this price range, there is no 'one of the best' pair of headphones; they have different qualities. That's one of the reasons people end up with different cans, to suit different musical genres, moods.

I think the 770's are pretty decent allround headphones in this range. I'm also one of the people believing the FiiO E9 drives them more then fine.

Dec 22, 2010 at 9:56 AM Post #7 of 13
My listening preferences are pretty close to yours.
I like all hip hop as I used to DJ.
Golden age, East, West, Dirty Dirty.

Also like indie rock.  Yo La Tengo, old Modest Mouse, etc.

No one can tell you if Sennheisers are good for hip hop except you.
IMO, they are garbage for hip hop. 
I owned the HD-650 for 3 months.  I forced myself to like them.
In the end I didn't and i sold them.

About the Beyers:  don't make the mistake of thinking that a higher model number is a better can.
The PRO versions are the "bassy" versions.
All the non-PRO aka "premium" versions should sound very similar within the model number.

32 ohm Beyers are not easy to drive. 
I had both 770 and 880 in 32 ohm. 
You need an amp, or a soundcard with built-in amp. 
E5 is sufficient power, but noisy.

The 770 and 880 are very, very similar. 
770 has slightly more bass, less mid-range.
880 has slightly more mid range, less bass.
Both are the same for treble.
Differences aren't noticeable unless you are A/Bing.
Bigger differences will be found by going with a different manufacturer altogether.

You will not find one headphone to do it all.
This is especially true for finding the right levels of bass.
Hip hop and electronic just require a ton more bass than what people consider "neutral."
Therefore, I just use different cans when listening to that music. 

Headphones are like girlfriends. 
You want one to look like a supermodel, super smart and really friendly.
First of all, that woman doesn't exist.
Second of all, if she does exist, she's too expensive for you. 
Instead, get three different girlfriends. 

Dec 22, 2010 at 10:10 AM Post #8 of 13
FWIW,

I concur that the 32ohm DT models are probably hard to drive - in the interest of full disclosure, this is based ONLY on me being told this many times.

I have had fairly thorough exposure to the DT770 Pro 80ohm - a friend owns it. It sounds "good" always, but does deserve amping to sound much better. He is running it off only a CMOY that I built for him in about 30-35 bucks worth of parts. That alone makes a great difference, and I would predict the headphones could still scale up well if paired with a better amp.

In my limited exposure to the DT770 250ohm (non-Pro), these also sound good, but I won't go into details on differences amped vs unamped, or versus other models as my amount of exposure at this point doesn't qualify as a basis to spread any info to others.

Hopefully that was helpful. I'd consider used also. I got a good deal on some DT770 250ohm that will be here this week (not the pair used in my previous exposure that I mentioned).

Dec 22, 2010 at 11:43 AM Post #9 of 13
I'll probably get a Fiio E5/E9 so amping/dac shouldn't be too much of a problem.

@sugarkang:
The DT880 Pro was much more expensive than the 770 Pro/990 Pro and I won't even talk about the Premium ones, lol (DT770/990 Pro - 149 Eur, DT880 Pro - 239 Eur @ amazon.de). The difference on amazon.com was $20(15 eur) so once again a case of huge price differences.
Since you say the difference between pro/premium shouldn't be big it'll probably be either DT 770 Pro 250 Ohm/80 Ohm or DT 990 Pro 250 Ohm, they're all the same price as stated above.
I'll see if I can try a pair of HD650 here in Stockholm before buying anything, just to be sure.
And I realize I can't have it all in one can, but considering I'm not that picky I think I can find something that I'll be pretty happy with no matter if I listen to hiphop or indierock. On the other hand, then I should be absolutely fine w/ 650, lol. But it's more expensive, so I'd rather try before buying.

@proglover:
Hmm, trebly? I wouldn't like that. But I've also seen people stating the 990's the perfect in-between between 880/770, and the 880's excluded so it's 770 or 990, though I'm gonna check out some Denons later as they also seem decent/comparable to Beyers bass.

@drew:
I'm totally fine with buying used stuff, it's just that I don't know any good sites for buying used stuff in Europe. You can find some sellers from Europe here but not many. I'm gonna do a bit of googling to properly check the alternatives out. Sometimes US prices might actually compensate for VAT+shipping but it's very rare.

----------------------------

So, now it's pretty much 990 Pro/250, 770 Pro/250 or a pair of Denons. I'm gonna do a little bit more of forum browsing, check Denon's alternatives and see if I can get to try a pair of HD650's in Stockholm.
Thank you all, so far!

Dec 24, 2010 at 9:08 PM Post #11 of 13
Proglover - thanks for the link, though I had already read it. I'm still unsure, but I think I'll just settle with the DT990 Pro 250 Ohm and the Fiio E7/E9. I mean, I don't have that high standards coming from a $100 headphone with integrated audio and they seem the best for me. I would've rather had the DT 990 Premium 600 Ohm or the Ultrasone Pro 900(god, they seemed perfect) but Europe's the guilty one here. Darn prices, lol.

I'm just gonna do some final research and perhaps browse through a couple of used-hifi-sites, at least those I may find, just in case. If something comes up, I'll be sure to bump this thread if anybody cares.

If I later decide they're just unbearable I can always return them within a month. Then you'll see my next thread, haha. Also, the prices in Sweden are skyhigh so I'd probably make a profit from selling them, even if they're used. Though I won't be scamming people, just enough to make up the cost of buying them but nothing more (okey, maybe 10 euros more or something,haha).

Dec 25, 2010 at 5:44 AM Post #12 of 13
congratz with your decision, you're right, just try them, otherwise sell (or trade)

that's what hundred of head-fiers do in search of headphone-nirvana:)

(can't find the 600 ohm versions here in Europe, not for high prices either)

Jan 3, 2011 at 5:33 PM Post #13 of 13
Just wanted to say that I went for a Asus Xonar Essence STX and the Beyer DT990 Pro 250 Ohm and I have everything now. Well, I've had the sound card for a couple of days since I ordered everything last monday, but the headphones were delayed by New Years eve & all that, so got them today.
I'm really happy with my decision, the bass is imo amazing, while still having the open/spacious sound I liked with the Goldring DR150's.

Just gonna get WASAPI for Foobar and perhaps change to a different skin, original's kinda boring.

Thank you all for all your help. I'll probably leave this place now so I won't be tempted to buy anything more or start notice possible flaws with my headphone just because I've read about them =P. I may be back once I feel like I can open my wallet again for the precious world of Audiophiliacs.

And everybody said the Pro's clamped on the head, but I don't think they do. Very comfy, love the pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back