~200€ cans for home use?
Aug 27, 2013 at 10:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

kouangooo

New Head-Fier
Hi there :)

At the moment I own the IEM Shure SE425 for 2 years now. I REALLY enjoy them for listenning to FLAC files, but it feels like my ears are bleeding when I use mp3 < 320kpbs... 

So now, I'm looking for headphones, something more "fun" and less "analytical" than my Shure.

Since it will be (primarily) for home use and either connected to my PC or my FiiO E17, isolation and impedence are not (really) an issue here, but COMFORT is.

I listen to a wide range of music (Hip hop, roots reggae, rock, soul, classical / OST, electronic). My Shure are great for any voice/instrumental-based music, but as you can imagine, it falls short when it come to hip hop for example...

My budget is 200€ top (~250$, but bear in mind that some products are much more expensive here in Europe than in the US...)

After some researches on Internet, here is what I selected:

- Philips Fidelio L1
- Sennheiser HD 598
- Sennheiser HD 600
- Ultrasone HFI-780
- Audio-Technica ATH-PRO 700 MK2
- Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro

I'm leaning towards the L1, but I really can't make up my mind... 
confused_face(1).gif

Aug 27, 2013 at 10:42 AM Post #2 of 13
If you can get them for that price, grab the HD600s!

I also use these alongside SE425s.

As for the discomfort when listening to MP3s, that is just because your IEMs are showing lossy compression for the dross which it is. The solution does not lie in less revealing cans, but in higher quality software...

HD600s will also tell you how good the recording is.

If, on the other hand, you just want to "rock out", go for the DT770s.

Aug 27, 2013 at 10:57 AM Post #3 of 13
Thx for your input !
The 600s are little bit over my budget (240€);.. but I read so much praises about it that I decided to include it in my short list :)

But I am starting to use more and more Spotify, so if you are telling me the HD600's will reveal the recording quality, I better lay it off my list then...

The DT770s, from my understanding, are to be used exclusively for heavy bass music. So even if its lack of versality is a drawback, it might be a good combo with the SE425... But I can't find any Beyerdynamic to listen to in my region 
mad.gif

edit: Another thing. Most reviews that I read say "good SQ for a closed can". Ok.. but as I said, I don't care about isolation, so are there any open can which would better fit ?

Aug 27, 2013 at 11:31 AM Post #4 of 13
DT990s are open, have a "fun" signature, and are reasonably priced.

Aug 27, 2013 at 4:15 PM Post #7 of 13
You could also try cheap Superlux HD-681 EVO with velour pads (they should now come with them) and save a lot of money which could be spent on dac/amp :wink: You can get them from thomann.

Aug 27, 2013 at 4:33 PM Post #8 of 13

Quote:
Why not the Fidelio X1 instead of the L1?

There are a little bit above budget (239€). If I am willing to spend that much, I think I would go with the HD600 (246€) ...

You could also try cheap Superlux HD-681 EVO with velour pads (they should now come with them) and save a lot of money which could be spent on dac/amp :wink: You can get them from thomann.

I already own a FiiO E17... From what I understand, it can drive headphones up to 300 ohm... ?

Aug 27, 2013 at 4:57 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

There are a little bit above budget (239€). If I am willing to spend that much, I think I would go with the HD600 (246€) ...

I already own a FiiO E17... From what I understand, it can drive headphones up to 300 ohm... ?

The X1 sels for 205euro @ conrad.be

Most Headphones listed here benefit allot from amping, The E17 will do some of the job but if your wanting DT770 / ?  these beyers can be very very picky about the amp used, Before they actualy sound as they should.

Importing from US can be a expensive buisness here In Belgium unless its a rare Item, I dont tend to order In the nation of the soaring Eagle..

Aug 27, 2013 at 5:02 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

It was just an example where to put money leftover :wink: FiiO E17 should do only good for EVO`s but they don`t really need amp as they are 32Ohm cans.

Aug 27, 2013 at 6:38 PM Post #11 of 13
I have both the hfi 780 and the L1. IMO, L1 sounds much better. They both have very good low ends, but L1 has clearer and smoother mids. L1 is more comfortable too. It is semi open compared to the fully closed hfi 780 so sound stage is much better too. Overall, L1 is a step up from the hfi 780 and is one of my top favourite out of my warmer sounding headphones.

I haven't heard the other ones you have on the list so I cannot comment on them.

For under 200 euro I would also recommend some of the akg headphones. They mostly have very good smooth mids: k601, k240 monitor and k340 are all very good, k340 is my favourite headphone at the moment though and I got it way under the 200 euro mark second hand :wink:

Aug 27, 2013 at 7:07 PM Post #12 of 13
The HD600's have quite a flat response and may not suite your needs if your looking for pure HIFI enjoyment.

I also agree with the person who says that you should consider the X1's over the L1's. The X1's have exceptional lows, a beautifully smooth midrange and treble with just enough sparkle not to sound too analytical. Basically, they make any genre of music "pleasing" on the ear, which is quite rare. They're like a "faster" HD650 at 2/3rds of the price, with slightly more sweetened treble.

I would rule out the Audio-Technica ATH-PRO 700 MK2's. They're really only suitable for live sets in the club and aren't very comfortable to wear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back