2.0 Speakers Compilation: Best for <$500
Mar 26, 2013 at 2:18 AM Post #211 of 647
Paired Asus Xonar Essense STX with Focal XS Book and the details are very nice and dynamic. Although i miss the bass from previous 2.1 setup, I still prefer this set of speaker. In fact I experience discomfort when i switch back to my old z2300 2.1 speaker after few days of listening to Focal speaker. Recommended for those with less desk space

May 7, 2013 at 9:17 PM Post #215 of 647
Has anyone been lucky enough to compare the original M-Audio BX5A Deluxe with the new generation ?

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/MAudioBX5D2New.html

My experience with audio products is that newer models aren't always better....
I can get the original model for $100 used locally and the new generation for $250 new....

May 8, 2013 at 9:55 AM Post #216 of 647
I'm using the tannoy reveal 501a with a xonar stx and they're clear and very detailed. .. Sometimes too much.

Also bought the b8xa in a good deal but shipment is too expensive so I'm waiting

Jun 7, 2013 at 10:36 AM Post #217 of 647
Hi,

New here.

Does any of the speakers mentioned are good for gaming ?

I'm looking for bookshelf speaker or monitor studio that are excellent for gaming.

I don't really listen to music so it doesn't matter.

what i want is tight and precise bass. Bass that can hit hard with a quick attack and doesn't have the boomy background and dies off quite fast. And bass that doesn't leak into  mids and highs. 

Jun 9, 2013 at 1:08 PM Post #219 of 647
Hi,

New here.

Does any of the speakers mentioned are good for gaming ?

I'm looking for bookshelf speaker or monitor studio that are excellent for gaming.

I don't really listen to music so it doesn't matter.

what i want is tight and precise bass. Bass that can hit hard with a quick attack and doesn't have the boomy background and dies off quite fast. And bass that doesn't leak into  mids and highs. 

My tannoys are great for gaming and music. Best buy ever in price /performance ratio

Aug 13, 2013 at 1:17 AM Post #221 of 647

These Monoprice Studio Monitors seem like they might be a knockoff of the M-Audio BX-5. See this discussion on head-fi: http://www.head-fi.org/t/647965/monoprice-just-came-out-with-5-3-studio-monitors-165-75

Otherwise, you might also consider pairing a t-amp with a pair of passive speakers. For example, see this CNET article: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-57439115-47/build-your-own-desktop-stereo-for-under-$70/ With your budget, you could get a better t-amp and better speakers, or add a sub to the Lepai/Dayton setup.

Aug 13, 2013 at 1:35 AM Post #222 of 647
I'll throw a vote in for the Vanatoo Transparent One at the upper end of this price range. Really enjoy mine. These are musical, accurate and detailed.  Bass should be enough for most but sub out is nice. Don't know how long I'll be able to leave that alone just on principle. CONS: No RCA inputs, volume/treble/bass on the back could be an issue for some. As near field speakers these are excellent. If you can get a listen I would encourage you to do so. I auditioned Kanto Yumis as well which are in this price range (cheaper). I liked them okay but not nearly as much as the Vanatoos. The Yumis have some slick hookups and a remote but they were brighter/harsher and just didn't do it for me. VTOs are definitely a step up. 

Vanatoo Transparent One

> Four input options
  1. Analog input (direct connection to your player´s 3.5mm headphone jack)
  2. 3 digital inputs: USB audio, TOSLINK® optical, and Coax
> 60 watts per channel D2Audio® Class D amplifier with integrated Digital Signal Processor (DSP) for superb sound, exceptional frequency response, and high efficiency
> Smooth and extended frequency response - 49 to 20,000 Hz +/- 2 dB
> Patented 5 ¼ inch XBL™ woofer for deep bass and clear midrange
> 1 inch silk dome tweeter for smooth, sweet highs
> Custom long-excursion passive radiator for extended bass response
> Volume, treble, and bass controls lets you adjust the sound to your liking
> Left/Right switch lets you select the position of the active speaker for proper stereo imaging
> Convenient auxiliary AC power out connector for your Apple Airport Express other powered device
> Optional subwoofer output (and we mean optional!) with automatic subwoofer sensing and crossover switching
> Automatic low power sleep mode consumes less than a standard nightlight
> Real cherry wood veneer in black or hand rubbed natural stain
> Compact size - 6 1/2" W x 10" H x 8 1/8" D
> Thick, ¾ inch resonance-free MDF cabinet for better acoustical characteristics
> Ships with the following cables:
  1. AC power cord
  2. 3.5 mm to 3.5 mm cable (plugs into headphone jack)
  3. 3.5 mm to RCA "Y" cable
  4. Speaker wire

Aug 13, 2013 at 8:51 AM Post #223 of 647

Quote:
I'll throw a vote in for the Vanatoo Transparent One at the upper end of this price range. Really enjoy mine. These are musical, accurate and detailed.  Bass should be enough for most but sub out is nice. Don't know how long I'll be able to leave that alone just on principle. CONS: No RCA inputs, volume/treble/bass on the back could be an issue for some. As near field speakers these are excellent. If you can get a listen I would encourage you to do so. I auditioned Kanto Yumis as well which are in this price range (cheaper). I liked them okay but not nearly as much as the Vanatoos. The Yumis have some slick hookups and a remote but they were brighter/harsher and just didn't do it for me. VTOs are definitely a step up. 

Vanatoo Transparent One

> Four input options
  1. Analog input (direct connection to your player´s 3.5mm headphone jack)
  2. 3 digital inputs: USB audio, TOSLINK® optical, and Coax
> 60 watts per channel D2Audio® Class D amplifier with integrated Digital Signal Processor (DSP) for superb sound, exceptional frequency response, and high efficiency
> Smooth and extended frequency response - 49 to 20,000 Hz +/- 2 dB
> Patented 5 ¼ inch XBL™ woofer for deep bass and clear midrange
> 1 inch silk dome tweeter for smooth, sweet highs
> Custom long-excursion passive radiator for extended bass response
> Volume, treble, and bass controls lets you adjust the sound to your liking
> Left/Right switch lets you select the position of the active speaker for proper stereo imaging
> Convenient auxiliary AC power out connector for your Apple Airport Express other powered device
> Optional subwoofer output (and we mean optional!) with automatic subwoofer sensing and crossover switching
> Automatic low power sleep mode consumes less than a standard nightlight
> Real cherry wood veneer in black or hand rubbed natural stain
> Compact size - 6 1/2" W x 10" H x 8 1/8" D
> Thick, ¾ inch resonance-free MDF cabinet for better acoustical characteristics
> Ships with the following cables:
  1. AC power cord
  2. 3.5 mm to 3.5 mm cable (plugs into headphone jack)
  3. 3.5 mm to RCA "Y" cable
  4. Speaker wire

No the this price is too hight for me.

Aug 13, 2013 at 4:08 PM Post #224 of 647
Sorry. Was going for the under $500! Now I see your post.

If you can stretch just your budget just a bit I kept running into favorable reviews for the PSB Alpha PS1 when I was doing research. Else you might look at used to get a good speaker in your price range.

Good luck.

Aug 13, 2013 at 10:51 PM Post #225 of 647
I've got a really simple question here; I want to spend $200-$300 on a 2.1 set just for casual listening. Don't need it to be blaringly loud, but I want a subwoofer that'll pack a punch without taking up too much of the budget. I'm gonna play everything from the Blade Runner soundtrack with ambient sounds and stuff, to jazz fusion, to dubstep. I guess versatle would come to mind. Any thing that fits in my pathetic budget?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back