2.0 Speakers Compilation: Best for <$500
Aug 25, 2010 at 11:34 AM Post #47 of 647
thanks but i really prefer actives. will read around at your recommendations
smile.gif

Aug 25, 2010 at 12:23 PM Post #48 of 647
there really arent many 2.0 speakers made that are good for bookshelf full frequency response.

what i would suggest is four 8inch woofers (two per side) and then a single 5.25 inch midrange on each side (with a tweeter of course)
this will allow you to keep the speakers as 'bookshelf' units (rather large, but they still fit !!)
the bass extension will be far superior to anything in that price range already pre-built.

you can find a used sony receiver with a blown surround channel or blown center channel for cheap to power the speakers .. or you could look into some sort of bash amplifier and put one in each (or just one) bookshelf cabinet.

you have a chance to really stretch your dollar.. why not take it?

Aug 25, 2010 at 12:35 PM Post #49 of 647

Quote:

Well, those are all the speakers I've gone through so far. And I still have not yet found the perfect pair. 

Any suggestions?

To help me update my list, please let me know which additional speakers you've heard and where you think they'd fit.

Other speakers I'd like to check out (or perhaps hear of others' experiences with):
1. B&W MM-1
2. Genelec 6010a
3. Mackie MR5
4. KRK Rockit 5 G2
5. Swans M200MKII/III
6. Scandyna Drops/Smallpod

More to come...

Thanks for reading!

L3000.gif

Swans M200 MKIII is one of the best active Bookshelf Speaker I've Ever Heard !, i think it must be in the upper steps on this podium !
Swans M200 MKII are very different, the sound is less precise, there's less volume even at low sound-level...

Aug 25, 2010 at 2:34 PM Post #50 of 647

Quote:
smile.gif

????  

Both the Genelec and Wharfedale Pro speakers are active speakers...

Aug 25, 2010 at 5:54 PM Post #51 of 647

Quote:
smile.gif

Cool, in the end you have to be happy that is all that matters!

Good luck and let us know what you end up with.

EDIT:  
WGB113- I think he was responding to my rec of looking at passives as well.

cheers

Aug 25, 2010 at 6:28 PM Post #52 of 647

Quote:
Swans M200 MKIII is one of the best active Bookshelf Speaker I've Ever Heard !, i think it must be in the upper steps on this podium !
Swans M200 MKII are very different, the sound is less precise, there's less volume even at low sound-level...

I've had the MK1/MK2 as well as the t200a many years back and all I can tell you is that you need to try other speakers. They aren't even close.
wink.gif

Aug 28, 2010 at 2:19 PM Post #58 of 647
So what's the best Active monitor pair under 300$ /w Front Ports. I guess that leaves  few options eh? 

KRK and Behringer? that's about it

Aug 28, 2010 at 8:04 PM Post #60 of 647
How does the BX8a Deluxe compare to the BX5a Deluxe? I know the first one has a larger low frequency speaker and goes a bit lower but is it really worth the extra money? I'm thinking of replacing my AV40s and I'm in search for some decent near field monitors. My budget is around 300€, give or take 15€ for shipping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back