2.0 Speakers Compilation: Best for <$500
Jul 31, 2010 at 8:56 AM Post #16 of 647
Was looking at the BX5a but found out it doesnt have a central volume control. u have to adjust volume at the bak of each speaker so unfortunately i have to cancel this off my list. I do not have a AMP/DAC and plan on using my soundcard. Then i look at the Swan MKII and found out its not available in singapore. argh so what other alternatives do i have other than the AE5?

Jul 31, 2010 at 10:09 AM Post #17 of 647
If your computer has a remote or keyboard volume controls (like the Mac lines) then you can keep the BX5a volume up and control the system volume via the remote or keyboard.

Jul 31, 2010 at 10:38 AM Post #18 of 647
I heard its not advisable to control thru the windows volume? and yeah my keyboard can control the volume

Aug 1, 2010 at 1:52 PM Post #21 of 647
I have done some  research and discovered some good active bookshelves below 500.

Markie MR5/8

KRK RP5/6 GEN 2

Behringer 3030A 3031A

JBL LSR2325P

wonder if these few are better than the Audioengine 5. I am looking for something better than AE5 but it as to be 300-400 price range for a pair.

Aug 1, 2010 at 2:26 PM Post #22 of 647
Sorry, I sort of have to nitpick here...
Quote:
They must be active and self-powered, as subs are big, bulky and often overpowering.

What?  A subwoofer has nothing to do with being active/self-powered.  If you don't mind getting a receiver, there are lots of options out there for bookshelf speakers.
Quote:
 Due to the weak internal amp, they cannot get very loud without the use of a soundcard or USB DAC; as such, their potential is wasted if you are planning to use them alongside a notebook or your desktop's onboard sound. 

What does a sound card or USB DAC have to do with loudness?

Thanks for the recommendations though!  But I think you're a bit confused.  For my apartment, I just use a Yamaha stereo receiver and a pair of B&W 686's.  The 686 list at $480 I think, but you could probably find a good receiver and the 686's for under $500 on the used market.

Aug 1, 2010 at 3:21 PM Post #23 of 647
Sound cards can have a higher output than some other devices, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line_level
However, that can just make it easier for the amp/speakers to go into clipping I believe. Higher end soundcards and almost all dacs are 2 vrms.

You will be fine with the BX5A, just adjust the volume digitally in Windows. If your sound card's output is not 2 vrms then it will probably be 3-6 decibels lower in max volume than one that is.

Aug 1, 2010 at 7:29 PM Post #24 of 647

Sorry, I sort of have to nitpick here...
What?  A subwoofer has nothing to do with being active/self-powered.  If you don't mind getting a receiver, there are lots of options out there for bookshelf speakers.
What does a sound card or USB DAC have to do with loudness?

Thanks for the recommendations though!  But I think you're a bit confused.  For my apartment, I just use a Yamaha stereo receiver and a pair of B&W 686's.  The 686 list at $480 I think, but you could probably find a good receiver and the 686's for under $500 on the used market.

Haha, sorry about that initial sentence. It used to be two sentences, one explaining my want for an active set of speakers rather than a passive set with an amp, the other expressing my disdain for subs. I combined them into one sentence, using 'as,' and one sentence that really makes no sense when you read into it.

Regarding my comment about the Swans, I standby the volume issue. For more information, please see my thread here: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/501233/dac-for-macbook-swans

Btw this thread is in for a major rehaul, which I'll do shortly.

Aug 6, 2010 at 2:57 PM Post #25 of 647
As for the BX5a no having a central speaker control.....

Many monitors are meant to be controlled by a mixer console, with volume control there, however since most of us don't mix/have consoles, I'd buy the TC Electronic Level Pilot.

Completely passive, uses a high quality Bourns Pot, and is completely balanced.  If you're not using a DAC, then....

Assuming you are using a 3.5mm out...

3.5mm TRS/Y-cable unbalanced XLR out > Level Pilot > BX5a

You would set your volume on your computer to 100% then use your level pilot for volume control, and set your BX5a to where ever you like.  I found dead center on the volume knobs is perfect for me.

Aug 6, 2010 at 3:41 PM Post #26 of 647

http://www.adam-audio.com/en/pro-audio/products/a3x/description

New  ADAM A3X. These are nice. Just within budget, similar size (1" taller) than the AV40, go down to 60hz flat (+/-2dB), biamped (25W+25W+25W+25W) and come with a 5 year guarantee. balanced XLR or phono - with phono volume control on one controls both.

Very flat and accurate frequency response. Forensic level of detail. Do poor sources no favours. Which you'd expect.

edit : they are not smaller than the AV40. They are in fact 1" taller. thx to xombie11 for the correction.

Aug 6, 2010 at 4:17 PM Post #27 of 647
Getting a volume knob is a total waste of money. All it does is reduce the signal. If the volume won't go loud enough to begin with the knob won't help at all. What a block-worthy post.

If your volume goes loud enough - then you can use windows or foobar volume with no sq loss at all. Replaygain scanning in foobar helps a lot for tracks that are super quiet and nowhere near peak, as well as songs that are way too loud.

Aug 6, 2010 at 4:25 PM Post #29 of 647

Quote:
Getting a volume knob is a total waste of money. All it does is reduce the signal. If the volume won't go loud enough to begin with the knob won't help at all. What a block-worthy post.

If your volume goes loud enough - then you can use windows or foobar volume with no sq loss at all. Replaygain scanning in foobar helps a lot for tracks that are super quiet and nowhere near peak, as well as songs that are way too loud.

Getting a volume knob isn't wasre of money if your DAC doesn't have pre-amp function.. I had to use a pre amp for my Dyn MC15's to finally get the sound qualified for my ears.

Aug 7, 2010 at 1:26 PM Post #30 of 647
Are these really smaller than the AV40s? I find that hard to believe.

They do look quite interesting, however. I'd like to try them out. 

Quote:

New  ADAM A3X. These are nice. Just within budget, smaller than the AV40, go down to 60hz flat (+/-2dB), biamped (25W+25W+25W+25W) and come with a 5 year guarantee. balanced XLR or phono - with phono volume control on one controls both.

Very flat and accurate frequency response. Forensic level of detail. Do poor sources no favours. Which you'd expect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back