2.0 Speakers Compilation: Best for <$500
Dec 18, 2015 at 12:01 AM Post #601 of 647
Watch his big sound 2015 video, he mentioned it in one of his videos regarding headphones and headphone amps.

Well, if he did in fact say that, you should know better and not repeat it. LOL

You will definitely hear the distortion if cranked up but I've yet to crank it up that high lol. The UDA-1 is by no means a powerful amplifier but the power it delivers is clean. The UDA-1 is built around a dual-mono design and its components used are of quality. I don't know why Sony chose to use the shameful JEITA test though.

A t-amp can deliver clean power at low wattage like that.

The ELAC B5 is a relatively low resistance and average sensitivity speaker. You wouldn't want to sit further than 2 metres away or else you'll get no bass, I know this from my experiences with bookshelf speakers.

You've already decided he's buying the ELACs, huh? LOL

BTW: the B5s are 6 ohms. 8 ohms and 6 ohms are average, so not particularly "low resistance" for a speaker.

Dec 18, 2015 at 12:09 AM Post #602 of 647
He says he got it, so I'm not sure if he implied the B5s.

I've never really got into the measurement kind of things. Measurements for a lot of headphones are horrible... But they sound amazing.

Dec 18, 2015 at 11:35 AM Post #604 of 647

That's a good price for those. You should also look at the other speakers regularly recommended in that ~ $300 price range as best price/performance value: HSU HB1, Ascend Acoustic CBM-170 SE (I own these), EMP Tek R5Bi, and Chane A1RX-C. These are Internet direct speakers that are a fantastic value because they do not have to work in extra markup for a middle man to sell them to you. They are regularly regularly recommended over at AVS Forum and other A/V forums as competing with traditional speaker brands sold in brick and mortar stores for twice the price MSRP, and they have been for several years.

This is why I've said there seems a lot of hype about the ELACs (which is common with the new FOTM). People are describing them as best ever speakers for the money. The hype seems to be from people comparing them to brick and mortar store speakers, not the actual contenders for best price/performance value in that price range; people upgrading from less expensive speakers; and/or people that are Andrew Jones fans (he's the designer). My sense is from the very few comparisons I have seen is that the E6s fit somewhere within that class of speakers by Ascend, HSU, EMP Tek, and Chane, which is echoed in this discussion: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/2142978-hsu-hb-1-mk2-vs-ascend-cbm-170-se-vs-elac-b6.html.

I would suggest doing research over at AVS since AVS is to speakers and other home audio equipment as Head-Fi is to headphones: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/

Dec 19, 2015 at 7:40 AM Post #605 of 647
  KEF Q100 may be? :)
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CE3LHQW/ref=psdc_172563_t1_B00EPDMDZ8

Just buy one and test it. If you don't like them then return it. We can only tell you so much but you need to listen to them personally.

What I can tell you is that I don't think you could go wrong with the B5, or Q100s since it's your first speaker (I can only recommend you these as they are the only one's I've heard) in your price range.

I'm sure cel also has some good suggestions, they are seldom found where I live so I haven't auditioned them/ can't recommend them.

Feb 17, 2016 at 12:34 PM Post #609 of 647
I'm looking for some powered monitors to put on my office desk for casual listening. Mostly at ambient levels and predominantly downtempo EDM, jazz, classical and some occasional acoustic stuff. 90% without vocals because I don't want the distraction. Music comes out of a Macbook Air into a Micca OriGen and from there into whatever I buy. After tons of online research it seems like my best bets are PreSonus E4.5 ($159)...the Airmotiv 4s ($299)...and the Equator D5 ($399). Do any of these stand out over the others based on my desired uses + equipment?

(I didn't include the JBL305s because they'll be too big of a footprint on the desk space I have, and I didn't include the Vanatoos because I don't feel I need to spend $500)

Feb 19, 2016 at 11:35 PM Post #611 of 647
new or used

jbl lsr 305 or 308
Yamaha hs7 or hs8

Feb 20, 2016 at 9:17 AM Post #612 of 647
I ended up going with the Adam F5 for a great deal.

Feb 27, 2016 at 8:19 AM Post #615 of 647
  new or used

jbl lsr 305 or 308
Yamaha hs7 or hs8

If you check around you should be able to find some deals on the JBL LSR 305's on ebay or maybe amazon. Might be able to save some cash that way. I would say the JBL 305's but to be fair I have not used the yamaha's and the 308's was outside my price ranges at the time. the 305's are very wonderful studio monitor's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back