2.0 Speakers Compilation: Best for <$500
Jul 20, 2015 at 3:02 PM Post #511 of 647
That's good. Were you able to get the Dayton Audio iMM-6 to work, then?

Nah, refused to connect to the MacBook. I suppose it could work if I back-engineered how the headset works vs the iMM-6 but I'm not that dedicated to the cause. Dug up the Yamaha auto-configuration mic and connected it to the Apogee One as an "instrument" and that seemed to work fine. Still a bit puzzled by the high frequency measurements, but not really curious enough or willing to risk the wrath of the SO to continue poking at it.

Jul 20, 2015 at 3:04 PM Post #512 of 647
Unless you have found calibration files for it, there's no telling how far off that YPAO mic is. YPAO itself will have the calibration built into the software, so they don't need to have the mic measure linearly. They just need it cheap.

Jul 27, 2015 at 5:04 PM Post #513 of 647
Hey guys. I am looking for something to replace my old and trusty 5.1 (later reduced to 2.1) set of creative cambridge dt2200 speakers.

As for headphones I have awesome brainwavz hm5 btw (not that it matters)

Now, I don't have a big budget. Around 100 euro. I only want something 2.0... to finally minimalize the cable mess. I've been looking at creative gigaworks t40 II. Are those reasonable option ? or should I get cheaper t20 ? maybe there is not so much difference.

At first I wanted to get M-Audio AV40. But I can't seem to find them anywhere reasonable in Poland and those are a bit wide for my setup.

Jul 27, 2015 at 5:13 PM Post #514 of 647
Currently selling mine on allegro :). Probably the best you can get if you need to go THAT narrow with that budget, but I'd take something from Edifier, with bigger 4" woofers if you can fit them.

Jul 27, 2015 at 5:16 PM Post #515 of 647
Thanks for not selling  me on Your auction :p (not looking to buy used equipement)

So You had t40 and wand edifier ? 
My desk is kinda narrow and even if I would fit normal sized speakers, the controls would have to be on the front

Jul 27, 2015 at 5:27 PM Post #517 of 647
I had the T40 series I at work before I bought the Definitive Tech Inclines.  The T40 are surprisingly good sounding inexpensive desktop speakers; neutral, with clean mids and highs.  The bass is limited, but for an inexpensive 2.0 system, they're pretty good (the T20 has far less bass).  The T40 series II is supposed to have more bass than the original T40.  When I ran the T40 out of my Meridian Explorer's line out, they were very much better sounding than when I ran them from my MacBook's headphone jack.  Everything improved significantly, especially imaging and sound staging.

Jul 27, 2015 at 5:56 PM Post #518 of 647
Thanks.
I have e10k so source is pure digital to analog
But back on topic. I am looking at t40 so deeply, because of their dimensions. 18cm wide like av40 is just too much. But I don't want to sacrifice too much sq for versitality.

Versitality and less clutter is why I am looking for new speakers in the first place. My current 2.1 have thousands and thousands of cables, huge incredibly hot power brick and separate volume control on yet another cable. I like to watch movies, ofc play games and so on.

but Brainwavz hm5 is there for heavy, real tasks. When i play something (or watch) "for real" I always go for headphones, to immerse myself and don't disturb my gf. And in most cases, when we watch movies, we go hdmi out to tv anyway, So those speakers are just for general use of movies/music/gaming. I like bass tho and don't want to sacrifice all of it.
edit: Also just noticed t30 speakers... which creative claims to have some bass port x mumbo jumbo. They look even more versitale and can be wireless I guess

Jul 28, 2015 at 2:20 AM Post #519 of 647
  But back on topic. I am looking at t40 so deeply, because of their dimensions.

Versitality and less clutter is why I am looking for new speakers in the first place.

edit: Also just noticed t30 speakers... which creative claims to have some bass port x mumbo jumbo. They look even more versitale and can be wireless I guess

1. There are also Edifier Exclaim speakers, even narrower, I think, and with 3" woofer + passive radiator, so should output more bass than the T40s. They get good reviews, but hard to get in Poland (I found only one shop in Poznań that has them) and the price is not too special. The official Edifier dealer for Poland does not sell them. Also, due to passive radiator being on the side, they need some space. which is not an issue with T40s (bass port on the top). They come also in a Bluetooth version.

2. BassXPort or however Creative calls it is simply a bass reflex port :). Also, these are no longer Gigaworks as are not designed by Cambridge Soundworks.

Jul 28, 2015 at 6:12 AM Post #520 of 647
The Edifier Exclaim are super ugly for me so I wouldn't get those anyway :p

I am not sold on t40 too anyway yet, so I am still looking around. I still see occassional opinions that t40 II have no bass whatsoever. Those people say that t20 and t30 sounds better. Other people adore t40 ii... that's internet right there :p

Jul 28, 2015 at 1:02 PM Post #522 of 647
T30 is interesting. I am not interested in it's wireless capabilities but it does looks like something betweeb t20 and t30.

There is also bose 2 companion iii that suits my price tag and dimensions. Wonder how it fares

Jul 28, 2015 at 1:07 PM Post #524 of 647
  Bose Companion 2 do not have tweeters.

Wow. I thought tweeters are maybe hidden or something...

Then T30 are growing on me. Their size is perfect. They are not as freakishly tall as t40 and are just "deeper" instead. It is such a pain in the ass, to not have a  place for bigger monitors.
Edit: At some point, I've even considered a soundbar but that would make e10k front headphone jack unreachable on my desk
edit2: here is a picture of my setup. sorry for crappy quality. You can see how little space I have and where the subwoofer is... and tons of cables on top of it. Fiio is on the display stand, power brick is where right leg would be and volume controller is on the right hand side underneath the desk... just having 2.0 setup would be a relief

Jul 29, 2015 at 3:41 PM Post #525 of 647
Actually. M-Audio AV30 is 13cm and AV40 is 15cm wide.
How are those compared to each other and to creative t20-t40

Also, there are few speakers on m-audio site. also new av42 and av32 models. Those look even better... tho I am still not sure if their size would be ok... and if I need speakers like that at all. Guess I will have to do some mall listening and report back

Users who are viewing this thread

Back