2.0 Speakers Compilation: Best for <$500
Jul 7, 2015 at 3:01 PM Post #451 of 647
Woah nelly, chill out.

First and foremost, they're the best 2.0 speaker system out there.

While I don't doubt that they might sound good to you, have you compared them to other speakers? That's a pretty strong claim. For example, Innerfidelity said the Polk Hampden was better: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/desktop-usb-speaker-roundup-polk-hampden-and-summary. Not doubting you might feel they are the best compared to what you heard--after all, speaker choice is a bit subjective--but it would help to know what you are comparing them to.

I'd also like to kindly inform you that these speakers can be had for less than $240 on Amazon.

That's good. Like most brick and mortar store home audio speaker companies, Def Tech's speakers are usually a good bit overpriced at full MSRP, IMO. Generally very good products. But overpriced.

As for the frequency response...I'll let you try to figure that one out, Sherlock.

It's a reasonable request. Def Tech is known for playing fast and loose with speaker frequency responses. They'll list a low end sometimes with a frequency response range that is not usable, based on independent measurements. The fact that they don't provide a frequency response range on their web page is certainly reason to question how low they go. John Grandberg at Innerfidelity said that they seemed linear down into the 60hz range.

Jul 7, 2015 at 3:19 PM Post #452 of 647
While I don't doubt that they might sound good to you, have you compared them to other speakers? That's a pretty strong claim. For example, Innerfidelity said the Polk Hampden was better: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/desktop-usb-speaker-roundup-polk-hampden-and-summary. Not doubting you might feel they are the best compared to what you heard--after all, speaker choice is a bit subjective--but it would help to know what you are comparing them to.
That's good. Like most brick and mortar store home audio speaker companies, Def Tech's speakers are usually a good bit overpriced at full MSRP, IMO. Generally very good products. But overpriced.
It's a reasonable request. Def Tech is known for playing fast and loose with speaker frequency responses. They'll list a low end sometimes with a frequency response range that is not usable, based on independent measurements. The fact that they don't provide a frequency response range on their web page is certainly reason to question how low they go. John Grandberg at Innerfidelity said that they seemed linear down into the 60hz range.

I've compared the Incline system to the Klipsch Pro Media, Polk Hampden, and Logitech Z623 systems, in addition to several Bose desktop speakers and my pair of Klipsch bookshelf speakers.

While each speaker offers certain advantages over the other, the most complete, sound; highs, mids, and lows, was had with the Incline system. Keep in mind, you're listening to these sitting at your desk or a few feet from your workspace.

The Incline speakers have a built in DAC, they have dedicated amps in each speaker, and have a wider frequency response that just about every 2.0 speaker on the market ...especially the AudioEngines. They even compete with 2.1 systems in terms of bass.

The Polks have a few more bells and whistles (Bluetooth, etc...) however the Inclines reign supreme when it comes to audio quality.

All of this leads me to declare that these are, in my opinion (obviously), the best 2.0 speakers available on the market.

ps - you can also alter the bass response via the driver that installs when you plug the Inclines into your PC.

Jul 7, 2015 at 3:41 PM Post #453 of 647
  @the above poster... compared to what?  They are $400 and and I cant even find details of their frequency response on their website.  Heck they dont even have EMI shielding after reading this in a review "Most modern speakers are well-shielded from cell phone interference, but our review unit had interference problems when a phone placed nearby received text messages. This is a bizarre operational issue that is rarely seen for speakers in this price range." Honestly this speaker offers nothing for the money being asked.  For the same money you could buy 2xJBL 305 and still have $100 for a dedicated dac/interface.  The enclosures are plastic.  Add to that the internal DAC that will most likely flavour the sound I see no reason to choose these over something like the JBL's or some audioengines.... 

Have you heard them? Honestly, without listening to them I don't see how you can pass any sort of judgment. MSRP is $400, but the Inclines can be found for about what the JBL LSR305 go for, less even. I got mine (albeit refurbished) for under $200. The Inclines take up exactly 5" x 4" each of desktop space in comparison to the 7.28" x 9.88" for the 305's (40 sq in for Inclines vs 150+ for the 305's). They are definitely much smaller than JBL or AudioEngine offerings. And because they're already angled, you don't need to get additional bases to get proper position for on-desk listening.

WRT to EMI, I haven't had any interference ever from my Inclines and other than that one review, I have yet to read of any complaints of EMI. I just put my phone right next to the right speaker for this morning to see if I could get some EMI, but haven't been able to create any, either with LTE on or off.

As for being "plastic", well, MDF/HDF is particle board; so what? The specs describe it as "polystone" which I'm not familiar with, but definitely isn't a milk carton or something. In the smaller sizes, composites can offer much better price to performance ratios than the standard MDF/HDF speaker assembly.

Of course, if you don't mind giving up a whole square foot or more of deskspace to your speakers there are plenty of options out there. I think that the small footprint, very good sonic range, built in quad amp'ing, and DAC make the Inclines a great choice for people looking for a sweet spot of price, size, and sound.

Jul 7, 2015 at 3:53 PM Post #454 of 647
You CANNOT get a good sonic range with a 4" driver, I dont need to listen to them to know that.  I currently have some KRK RP6 g3's and a set of ADAM a7x sat on my desk..... I stand by my comments.  The website doesnt even show the frequency range.

Have you compared them to other monitors in a similar price range?  I have worked with countless monitors from low end Mackies up to ADAM's S range and Focal twins. 

In this price range you should be able to get a pair of active monitors with a 5" driver that will out-perform these.  If you need a small footprint speaker then you are going to need a sub too or you wont be getting the full audible range.

As for polystone it is "polyurethane resin mixed with powdered stone additives to give a stone-like finish"  ie plastic.

Jul 7, 2015 at 4:56 PM Post #455 of 647
I've compared the Incline system to the Klipsch Pro Media, Polk Hampden, and Logitech Z623 systems, in addition to several Bose desktop speakers and my pair of Klipsch bookshelf speakers.

Basically, the only decent desktop speakers you have compared them to are the Polk Hampden. Many people find that Klipsch bookshelf speakers (if the reference series) are not good for nearfield use because they can easily be fatiguing, so not a good comparison. Bose desktop speakers are meh, with popularity due to their branding/marketing (of course some people might prefer them). And the Logitech and Klipsch Pro Media are not even close the same class as many of the speakers discussed in this thread.

Now, one again, I'm not saying that the Inclines aren't decent. Just pointing out that there are many very good speakers in this under <$500 range discussed in this thread, and it appears you have very little experience with ones that would be considered contenders. Better just to say that they are the best you have heard. Not "the best available on the market."

The Incline speakers have a built in DAC, they have dedicated amps in each speaker, and have a wider frequency response that just about every 2.0 speaker on the market ...especially the AudioEngines. They even compete with 2.1 systems in terms of bass.

What is that "wider frequency response?" What are you basing that opinion on?

Jul 7, 2015 at 5:04 PM Post #456 of 647
The Inclines take up exactly 5" x 4" each of desktop space in comparison to the 7.28" x 9.88" for the 305's (40 sq in for Inclines vs 150+ for the 305's). They are definitely much smaller than JBL or AudioEngine offerings. And because they're already angled, you don't need to get additional bases to get proper position for on-desk listening.

That's nice that they are angled, although I'm sure it's a one size fits all solution. Might not be the optimal angle for everyone.

One thing to note is that because they are the bipolar design, they will be more finicky on placement than the other speakers regularly discussed in this thread because of the way that the rear driver interacts with boundaries behind the speaker. It's the same issue with Def Tech's bipolar towers (among other issues with those). In other words, probably sound great if properly setup, and not if poorly placed.

Jul 7, 2015 at 5:36 PM Post #457 of 647
  You CANNOT get a good sonic range with a 4" driver, I dont need to listen to them to know that.  I currently have some KRK RP6 g3's and a set of ADAM a7x sat on my desk..... I stand by my comments.  The website doesnt even show the frequency range.

Have you compared them to other monitors in a similar price range?  I have worked with countless monitors from low end Mackies up to ADAM's S range and Focal twins. 

In this price range you should be able to get a pair of active monitors with a 5" driver that will out-perform these.  If you need a small footprint speaker then you are going to need a sub too or you wont be getting the full audible range.

As for polystone it is "polyurethane resin mixed with powdered stone additives to give a stone-like finish"  ie plastic.

Very nice speakers both. But much much bigger than the Inclines in size and budget. Feel free to stand by your comments; stand on them, sit on them, put them on your head, whatever position you desire. And it's nice that you've worked with countless monitors of all types. I'd love to hear your impressions of them. However, you haven't heard the Inclines so your words about them don't carry much weight, do they?

I'm far from a professional audio engineer, but I have compared them to the what Best Buy, Frys, Apple Store etc have on display. Sound quality is among the best that I've heard, but the environments are admittedly far from ideal. And yes, all things being equal, larger, bi-amped drivers will out-perform these. Like your ADAM A7X's. BTW, you did know that the A7X's weren't shielded, right?

Yeah, plastic. And HDF is sawdust mixed with glue. Saying "plastic" or "polyurethane resin" doesn't say anything with regard to material properties. PU has an incredibly wide range of formulations and are used in areas requiring extremely high rigidity and strength. Areas where HDF would completely disintegrate.

Jul 7, 2015 at 7:21 PM Post #458 of 647
For info the krk RP5's are exactly within the same budget range and the ADAM's are certainly shielded, so maybe do your research.  I own the 6" KRK's which are a little beyond the $500 budget but we were talking about, compared to over-priced multimedia speakers.  

Wood absorbs sound (to a degree), and in turn reduces reflection which would distort what you are listening to.  You think companies like Focal, Genelec, KRK and Dynaudio dont understand how cabinet materials affect sound reflections?

Jul 7, 2015 at 7:40 PM Post #459 of 647
Basically, the only decent desktop speakers you have compared them to are the Polk Hampden. Many people find that Klipsch bookshelf speakers (if the reference series) are not good for nearfield use because they can easily be fatiguing, so not a good comparison. Bose desktop speakers are meh, with popularity due to their branding/marketing (of course some people might prefer them). And the Logitech and Klipsch Pro Media are not even close the same class as many of the speakers discussed in this thread.

Now, one again, I'm not saying that the Inclines aren't decent. Just pointing out that there are many very good speakers in this under <$500 range discussed in this thread, and it appears you have very little experience with ones that would be considered contenders. Better just to say that they are the best you have heard. Not "the best available on the market."
What is that "wider frequency response?" What are you basing that opinion on?

My opinion's based on my personal listening experience.

It's also based on the build of the speaker.  Each speaker contains the following:

1. one 4" bass/midrange driver
  2. one 4" pressure-coupled bass radiator
  3. one 3/4" silk dome tweeter
  4. one 2" rear-facing full-range driver

In addition, each speaker is bi-amped + audio is driven through a built in DAC.

These speakers (the Inclines) are by far the best 2.0 system I've ever listened to.  I wouldn't hesitate to call them the best 2.0 speaker system on the market either.  

Jul 7, 2015 at 7:49 PM Post #460 of 647
  For info the krk RP5's are exactly within the same budget range and the ADAM's are certainly shielded, so maybe do your research.  I own the 6" KRK's which are a little beyond the $500 budget but we were talking about, compared to over-priced multimedia speakers.  

Wood absorbs sound (to a degree), and in turn reduces reflection which would distort what you are listening to.  You think companies like Focal, Genelec, KRK and Dynaudio dont understand how cabinet materials affect sound reflections?

You're talking about a completely different type of speaker.

I'm not the kind of person who wants an overpriced box that takes up most of my desk space in front of me.  Not to mention, most of the speakers you mention require a separate DAC, amp, and a separate sub woofer to even compete with the Def. Tech Incline speakers.  

As someone who sold home audio (B&W, Klipsch, Marantz, etc ... ) I realize that certain speakers outperform others.  

That being said, we're talking about computer speakers, not the big bulky bookshelf speakers you're referencing.

FYI, KRK is overrated, especially the set you referenced above....unless you're a DJ and need to pump hot electro music from your rig while mixing.  

Jul 7, 2015 at 7:57 PM Post #461 of 647

MDF is the ideal material for speaker cabinets, but if designed properly, plastic enclosures can work just as well. Recently one of the engineers at Edifier gave me a demo of their Exclaim speakers and they sound very good considering their price. He told me their solution to manage enclosure resonances was to use 2 layers of plastic and inject a gel-like substance in between.

I actually had a chance to listen and measure the KRK Rokit 6. They are very good speakers all around, and have very clean bass. However, the one I measured had a peak in THD right in the midrange between 1Khz and 3Khz. I suspect the crossover point is too low and is stressing out the tweeter. I want to attach the THD plot, the website doesn't let me. 

Jul 7, 2015 at 8:00 PM Post #462 of 647
What is a computer speaker? a speaker connected to a computer.  An active monitor is exactly what you are both talking about so we are talking about EXACTLY the same thing except your "best in market" speaker has a DAC built in, funnily enough a soundcard (in every PC whether onboard or not) contains.

You lack of understanding astounds me, considering you apparently sold similar equipment.

Please explain how they are a different type of speaker?

BTW my krk RP6's dont "need" a dedicated sub, but would perhaps benefit from one if you a basshead, maybe look up the frequency range.

for the post above, the reason they use the resin is as a dampener, which with MDF is included in terms of the glue of the wood cabinet.

Jul 7, 2015 at 8:09 PM Post #463 of 647
For near-field use, the Inclines sound better than the AudioEngines I've listened to (both sizes, active and passive).  They sound better than the B&W MM-1 I tried, too.  They fit on my desk easily, image beautifully, and the bass is less finicky than the MM-1.  The MM-1 is $500, and the Incline from Amazon is only $229, which is a killer price for what you get.  The Inclines' weight feels like twice that of the MM-1, by the way. These are solid, hefty, real speakers, not plastic toys.

Would I like the Adam A5x or A7x, running balanced from my Oppo HA-1?  Sure; that would be better for hi-res playback and the highs would be more prominent.  I do love the Adams, but it is impossible to seriously audition them in a dealership, because they're carried in the USA only by places that cater to musicians and not audiophiles.  But I don't have the room for them on my desk, they'd be overpowering in the room I need them for, wall mounts would add more cost, they're much more expensive than the Inclines, and I'd rather put those funds towards something else (like the really big Adams for home and not studio use).  I can get a sub for the Inclines without breaking the bank, and I'd really like to hear how much better they can be once the drivers are freed from the need to go so far down.

Jul 7, 2015 at 8:38 PM Post #464 of 647

Thanks! I just did: Adam A7x Page: http://www.adam-audio.com/en/pro-audio/products/a7x/description (wrong link: http://www.adam-audio.com/en/pro-audio/products/a7x/technical-data is the page with the exact table).

General data 
Frequency response42 Hz - 50 kHz
THD 90dB/1m > 100 Hz≤0.5 %
Max SPL with sine wave acoustic 100Hz to 3kHz at 1m≥106 dB
Max SPL per pair at 1m≥114 dB
Crossover frequencies2500 Hz
Input impedance30 KOhm
Weight20.3 lb (9,2 kg)
Magnetically shieldedNo
Height x Width x Depth13.5" (337 mm) x 8" (201 mm) x 11" (280 mm)
Warranty5 Years

And yes, I'm sure they understand cabinet materials. I think that Definitive Tech knows what's up also. A7x and KRK's are large. The Incline is small. HDF makes sense for large assembled speaker cabinets. Poly composites+metals make sense for smaller speakers.

Jul 7, 2015 at 8:54 PM Post #465 of 647
  What is a computer speaker? a speaker connected to a computer.  An active monitor is exactly what you are both talking about so we are talking about EXACTLY the same thing except your "best in market" speaker has a DAC built in, funnily enough a soundcard (in every PC whether onboard or not) contains.

You lack of understanding astounds me, considering you apparently sold similar equipment.

Please explain how they are a different type of speaker?

BTW my krk RP6's dont "need" a dedicated sub, but would perhaps benefit from one if you a basshead, maybe look up the frequency range.

for the post above, the reason they use the resin is as a dampener, which with MDF is included in terms of the glue of the wood cabinet.

You come into a conversation comparing Def. Tech Incline speakers (which you haven't listened to) to similar 2.0 computer speaker setups and start claiming "my KRK studio monitor's would blow these out of the water".  It was standoffish.  

I don't jump into a thread discussing studio monitors to inform people that "my B&W CM9's are going to blow your setup out of the water".

Furthermore, you are missing the point here; Definitive Technology Incline speakers do not require a separate amp, a separate DAC, a separate sub, or separate speaker stands.  

For $229 you are getting the most complete 2.0 computer speaker available.  

I'm sure your KRK's are great speakers; however they are studio monitors and I doubt they can compete with the Def. Tech Inclines in terms of clarity or value.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back