2.0 Speakers Compilation: Best for <$500
Jun 27, 2015 at 2:59 PM Post #436 of 647
I think the

Emotiva Airmotiv 5s are the ones for me but good luck finding them. Sold out everywhere I looked.

They are an Internet direct brand, so main place to get them is Emotiva's website. You could contact Emotiva to see how long before they expect to have them back in stock.

Jun 28, 2015 at 8:55 PM Post #437 of 647
  Thanks for the VERY comprehensive answer! Unfortunately, I plan to put them quite close to the wall and also in the corner:

Will I be able to use them with such placement? I plan to buy isolation pads as well. Source will be my X-Fi XtremeGamer, at least in forseeable future.

My situation is almost exactly the same as yours. I currently set my eyes on Focal XS Book because of its compact size. People said it is a good pair of desktop speakers for music enjoyment.  

Jun 29, 2015 at 2:10 AM Post #438 of 647

My situation is almost exactly the same as yours. I currently set my eyes on Focal XS Book because of its compact size. People said it is a good pair of desktop speakers for music enjoyment.  

I was thinking the same (I had much smaller desk in the same place), but opted for a bigger desk to fit in something bigger, 5" preferably.

Jun 30, 2015 at 1:28 PM Post #439 of 647

I'll second that recommendation. I've been running the DT Incline's at home for a year or so, and they are great. Great complete frequency reproduction with good tight bass. I liked them so much I just got a pair for work. DT puts reconditioned units up on eBay which are a great buy. I'm driving them off of a Schiit Magni2U at home and an old Headroom Micro amp at work.

I bought a second pair, too.  
beerchug.gif

Jul 1, 2015 at 5:39 PM Post #440 of 647

I bought a second pair, too.  
beerchug.gif

Ha Ha. That's great!
beerchug.gif
 I'm mulling pulling the trigger on a small sub for home use... Egad, this never ends, does it?

Jul 1, 2015 at 6:28 PM Post #442 of 647
What kind of sub are you buying?
smily_headphones1.gif

Considering the smallest Definitive Tech sub, perhaps???  $399.

http://www.definitivetech.com/products/prosub-800

Jul 1, 2015 at 9:19 PM Post #443 of 647
Definitive Technology subs are a good bit over priced at full MSRP. This Outlaw M8 is easily as good for less money: https://www.outlawaudio.com/products/m8.html. See these two reviews:

http://www.cnet.com/news/outlaw-m8-easily-the-best-budget-subwoofer/
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-subwoofers-bass-transducers/1462383-definitive-technology-prosub-800-vs-outlaw-m8-wip.html

I know of someone else that demoed both the ProSub 800 and the M8 and returned the ProSub.

If it has the connections you need, this HSU STF-2 is better than the M8 and the ProSub 800: http://hsuresearch.com/products/stf-2.html

Jul 2, 2015 at 4:45 AM Post #444 of 647

Considering the smallest Definitive Tech sub, perhaps???  $399.

http://www.definitivetech.com/products/prosub-800

Good guess! I got a reconditioned one for about half the MSRP and if it really really sucks I'll eat the shipping to return it. I saw that poor review, but I also saw some others which were pretty complimentary. For full price I'd definitely be looking at the SVS SB1000 but I think 'twould be overkill.

Jul 2, 2015 at 9:58 AM Post #445 of 647
Good guess! I got a reconditioned one for about half the MSRP and if it really really sucks I'll eat the shipping to return it. I saw that poor review, but I also saw some others which were pretty complimentary. For full price I'd definitely be looking at the SVS SB1000 but I think 'twould be overkill.

For half price, seems like you got a good deal :)

Jul 7, 2015 at 2:22 PM Post #449 of 647
@the above poster... compared to what?  They are $400 and and I cant even find details of their frequency response on their website.  Heck they dont even have EMI shielding after reading this in a review "Most modern speakers are well-shielded from cell phone interference, but our review unit had interference problems when a phone placed nearby received text messages. This is a bizarre operational issue that is rarely seen for speakers in this price range." Honestly this speaker offers nothing for the money being asked.  For the same money you could buy 2xJBL 305 and still have $100 for a dedicated dac/interface.  The enclosures are plastic.  Add to that the internal DAC that will most likely flavour the sound I see no reason to choose these over something like the JBL's or some audioengines.... 

Jul 7, 2015 at 2:33 PM Post #450 of 647
@the above poster... compared to what?  They are $400 and and I cant even find details of their frequency response on their website.  Heck they dont even have EMI shielding after reading this in a review "Most modern speakers are well-shielded from cell phone interference, but our review unit had interference problems when a phone placed nearby received text messages. This is a bizarre operational issue that is rarely seen for speakers in this price range." Honestly this speaker offers nothing for the money being asked.  For the same money you could buy 2xJBL 305 and still have $100 for a dedicated dac/interface.  The enclosures are plastic.  Add to that the internal DAC that will most likely flavour the sound I see no reason to choose these over something like the JBL's or some audioengines.... 

Woah nelly, chill out.

First and foremost, they're the best 2.0 speaker system out there.

Secondly, don't get frustrated because your Googling abilities are inept. I'd also like to add that I keep my cell phone right next to my speakers and never notice any interference. They're also close to my monitors, and I don't get any interference.

I'd also like to kindly inform you that these speakers can be had for less than $240 on Amazon.

As for the frequency response...I'll let you try to figure that one out, Sherlock.

In summary, if you're looking for an amazing 2.0 speaker system, one that has a built in DAC, and can reproduce low frequencies...buy the Definitive Technology Incline speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back