2.0 Speakers Compilation: Best for <$500
May 2, 2015 at 11:35 AM Post #391 of 647
Is there a significant benefit in choosing Adam A5x over A3x (or going with A7x) when used with a good sub (SVS SB2000) for use as multimedia speakers with a computer?  The speakers would be fed by a Woo Audio WA7tp tube amp using its built-in DAC.  I like the way the amp extends the sound spectrum and adds dynamism to my current Klipsch ProMedia 4.1 but it's time to replace them with something better.  I already have the SVS SB2000 sub and just need to decide what powered speakers I should couple it with.  The main uses will be music (all genres), some movies and games. 

Until I get some stands, the speakers would sit on my computer desk so it's pretty much in the nearfield territory, even when I will pull the chair back to watch a movie (the monitor I use is 30" 2560x1600).  Ideally, I'd want the speakers to be highly resolving, clear, as musical as possible and non-fatiguing.  Basically, looking for a non-congested, non-strained, very effortless and clean sound.  The space on the desk won't allow anything bigger than A5x although if it turns out that I get a very significant benefit by going with A7x, I won't rule out getting them and some speaker stands instead.  Budget-wise I am pretty flexible but if there's hardly any advantage of getting a larger Adam speaker pair since the sub will be doing all the heavy lifting below 80Hz then I guess it would make sense not to burn cash for no good reason.  Heck, I've even considered Event Opals but it looks like they will be a huge overkill in my computer den which is approximately 3x4 meters (9'x12').

I can get brand new A5x for Cad $450 each, curiously enough the A3x are more expensive at Cad $480 each in the stores, but there's someone in my area selling a pair of used A3x for Cad $800.  The A7x are Cad $980 each.  Unfortunately, buying from the US is not a great option because of low Canadian dollar and significant shipping and duties/taxes.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

May 2, 2015 at 2:07 PM Post #392 of 647
Since you have the SB-2000 (great sub!), you have the option of running amp->sub->speakers and using the 80hz high pass filter. Generally, you want speakers that are tuned to roll off a bit below 80hz so that you get a smooth crossover if using that. The Adam 5X are rated 50 Hz - 50 kHz, the 3X 60 Hz - 50 kHz. Hard to know for sure without measurements to see where the tuning point is (where it starts to roll off). I'd probably go with the 5X since they are cheaper.

Otherwise, the primary difference between smaller and larger driver speakers will also be their ability to get loud. You've got the SB-2000, which can fill a medium sized room with bass, so I'd definitely go with the 5X over the 3X to get the extra volume in case you want to crank it up :)

May 5, 2015 at 12:29 AM Post #393 of 647
Can you get the Emotiva Airmotiv 5S in Canada? That or the Adam F5 will get you so much of the Adam A5X's sound for half the price. You will have such a bad ass setup. 

As for the Adam A3X, crossing at 80hz should be fine. My worry is if the small speakers still have the same sound characteristics as the A5X minus the bass. 

If you can get the Emotiva speakers for close to exchange rate of $350 then I would get them. 

May 6, 2015 at 9:09 AM Post #395 of 647
Thanks for the suggestions, guys.  Unfortunately, there's no easy (and economical) way of getting Emotiva speakers in Canada, so I guess it's down to A3x vs A5x for me.  I am leaning towards A3x because I could get a used pair cheaper than the A5x from a store and because the smaller footprint should go better with my ginormous monitor.  I am just worried that the midrange on the A3x may not be convincing enough.  Granted, the subwoofer should perform well at keeping the sub-80Hz part of the spectrum filled out nicely, but the larger driver on A5x should in theory do a better job with mids.  If anyone has experience with both the sets, is that the case or should I just grab the A3x? 

May 11, 2015 at 10:34 PM Post #396 of 647
Hi guys,

I am also looking for a nice pair of active speakers. My current setup is Master 7 as dac and Master 9 (as preamp or headphone amp). My budget is around $1000, but I can go as high as $1500. I understand that this is a thread for speakers <$500, but I am sure that people here know much more about speakers than I do. Can anyone give me some recommendations?  

The good speakers at this price point that I know are Adam A5X (Amazon $549); Focal CMS 50 ($595); Dynaudio BM5 MKIII ($730). But I never tried any of these. I hope some expert can give me some advice and other choices. Thank you!

Jun 11, 2015 at 1:31 AM Post #400 of 647
For a 24 hour period the Kanto YU2 powered desktop speakers will be on sale at WOOT for about $149.99. That is a pretty good deal on some pretty darned good speakers. Well worth a look. 

If it weren't for a set of Swan M10 speakers I ordered off of Massdrop recently, I would be snagging the Kantos. Definitely.

Jun 11, 2015 at 1:21 PM Post #401 of 647
@soulorc in reply to your info request:

You get what you pay for in monitors there are generally a few price ranges, the sub $1k market tends to be good value for money but you get what you pay for. I own  some krk rp6 g3's that I bought as an impulse buy that I am glad I made. They are not perfect for music production but they are the bedroom DJ's pocket rocket in terms of budget.  The JBL LSR305's are more neutral in "color" I find the KRK warm, but others call them bassy but IMO they are just warm not inflated response.

Then you move into the $1k-3k range where you will be looking at the likes of ADAM dynaudio Focal EVE and Genelec.  These speakers will generally be 6-8" drivers putting out "pristine" sound at similar money people will pay for a TV.  I will not tell you how awesome it is to be sat a few feet from some Focal Twins, but even I wont stretch my budget that far.  I really like my ADAM a7x, having owned the a fair while now.  I feel they are the best "without a dedicated sub" option.  By choosing not to have a sub, and having the space, a  felt I could use the extra budget to get the best speaker for my money.  I spent literally a year of my life reading and researching and listening before I spent my cash.  I wanted something detailed for mixing and mastering and they are perfect for that, but is everyone going to want something like these, maybe not.  

Beyond $3k is when you are paying for those diminishing returns and unless you are earning money from them probably not a good investment.  I have had the pleasure of hearing some very fine monitors to the point where my ears are probably the weakest link in the audio chain.

There are lots of monitors to choose from, and its not just as simple as how much of I got and what do i buy.  You need to consider placement of your monitors and how much space you have on your desk.  Do you buy front or rear ported.  If limited space will you need a sub and whats your budget for that.

You can get amazing sound on a budget if you shop with patience and research.  Good luck.

Jun 11, 2015 at 11:48 PM Post #402 of 647
I recently picked up a set of Yamaha NX50, but want to upgrade to JBL LSR305. this will be for a Macbook Pro/iTunes/AAC.

Can I get some recommendations for a suitable and appropriately priced DAC? BTW my hearing is rolled off at the top, so I'm assuming the LSR305 would be a good choice?

Jun 12, 2015 at 12:14 AM Post #403 of 647
Can I get some recommendations for a suitable and appropriately priced DAC?

"Appropriate" pricing is relative to the individual. What amount were you thinking of?

BTW my hearing is rolled off at the top, so I'm assuming the LSR305 would be a good choice?

They are fairly neutral speakers. I would assume that they would be fine for you. And definitely a step up from the NX50s. Sweetwater has a deal right now: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LSR305

Jun 12, 2015 at 11:22 AM Post #404 of 647
If you want a good price/performance ratio a basic audio interface will work well as you DAC, I have a couple of entry level AI's the roland quad capture and the focusirite 2i4, both suitable for your needs.  Personally I would never spend more than 20% of my total budget on the DAC, you want the majority of your budget to go on your monitors, I would make a guess that more "audiophile" dac's may be more suitable to your needs as you dont need any recording ability but there are plenty of options available for less than $250.

Jun 12, 2015 at 11:44 PM Post #405 of 647
^ Thanks for the advice.

I just put up a classified for an Anedio D1. The neutral sound signature of the Anedio and LSR305 should work well for my situation. Updated my system in signature below.

Anyone is welcome to recommend a neutral sounding DAC up to $600 used. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back