2.0 Speakers Compilation: Best for <$500
Feb 28, 2015 at 1:31 AM Post #346 of 647
I think my B&W 686 (S1) may be one of the best 2.0s under $500. I highly recommend it.

Mar 1, 2015 at 9:45 AM Post #347 of 647
what is the best speaker I can get for 120 USD or less for a pair ?:p

is Simple Audio Listen good for 120 usd ?
http://www.corsair.com/en-us/simple-audio-listen-stereo-speakers-with-bluetooth

Mar 1, 2015 at 12:21 PM Post #348 of 647
This is the thread for people who are willing and able to pay up to $500.
It's a valuable long term resource.

Please feel free to start a thread called 'Best speakers for < $100' or ask your question in a separate thread.

Otherwise everything just gets messed up for everyone else. :)

Mar 2, 2015 at 11:40 PM Post #350 of 647
  How are the KRK RP5 G3s viewed in this thread? I realize they are monitors, but they are only $300 retail I believe and I loved mine.. when paired with a sub.

I do not know about this thread but generally (typically in reddit) the most recommended entry level monitor is the JBL LSR305. Those will always be recommended over KRK's. At $350 Emotiva Airmotiv 5S is the next upper tier of monitor. Of course you have all the other higher end monitors that go up in price from there. I loved my M-Audio's, KRK's are probably decent speakers as well. Most studio monitors are competitively good amongst another but the JBL's took the lead.

What subwoofer are you using?

Mar 3, 2015 at 12:39 AM Post #351 of 647
  I do not know about this thread but generally (typically in reddit) the most recommended entry level monitor is the JBL LSR305. Those will always be recommended over KRK's. At $350 Emotiva Airmotiv 5S is the next upper tier of monitor. Of course you have all the other higher end monitors that go up in price from there. I loved my M-Audio's, KRK's are probably decent speakers as well. Most studio monitors are competitively good amongst another but the JBL's took the lead.

What subwoofer are you using?

Before I moved country and had to sell it all I was using the KRK RP10S.

Mar 4, 2015 at 5:26 PM Post #352 of 647
As an owner of the RP6's I can say they are a worthy upgrade over the 5" cone, with deeper base and IMO more detailed in the mids.  I bought them as an impulse buy to work as a 2nd set along side my adam A7x, and find them warmer and more forgiving.  I have also listened to the entire JBL range and found them to be more neutral like my adam's, but the rear port puts me off as my desk is against a wall and find front ported monitors are better suited to my set-up.   

I would always recommend getting the biggest driver size your desk can manage, or if budget allows add a sub.  I dont see much benefit in stretching yourself beyond $5-600 unless you really want to go all out and sink $1k+

Mar 4, 2015 at 7:00 PM Post #353 of 647
  As an owner of the RP6's I can say they are a worthy upgrade over the 5" cone, with deeper base and IMO more detailed in the mids.  I bought them as an impulse buy to work as a 2nd set along side my adam A7x, and find them warmer and more forgiving.  I have also listened to the entire JBL range and found them to be more neutral like my adam's, but the rear port puts me off as my desk is against a wall and find front ported monitors are better suited to my set-up.   

I would always recommend getting the biggest driver size your desk can manage, or if budget allows add a sub.  I dont see much benefit in stretching yourself beyond $5-600 unless you really want to go all out and sink $1k+

I am thinking of buying the RP5s with the intention of getting the RP10s sub. Before I moved overseas I had the RP6's + RP10s, I just figured the 5s would do the same job if there was a sub involved?

Mar 4, 2015 at 11:04 PM Post #354 of 647
I know I have them, but try getting the Airmotiv 5S with Presonus T10. The Presonus T10 in the few reviews there are has been better head to head when compared to the KRK sub. The Airmoitv 5S is in Adam territory, which is beyond the entry level of the KRK's. If your in America than you can get the Presonus T10 for $265. I love my setup to death, I think you would to. The tweeters on the Emotivas are to die for. Got the monitors and sub for $600 total.

Mar 10, 2015 at 4:00 PM Post #356 of 647
Have anyone mentioned Paradigm Shift A2? Just ordered mine for sub-$500/pair. Usually those beasts are out out range of $500 but price changing recently. Can't wait to test them here.

Mar 27, 2015 at 5:51 AM Post #357 of 647
  I know I have them, but try getting the Airmotiv 5S with Presonus T10. The Presonus T10 in the few reviews there are has been better head to head when compared to the KRK sub. The Airmoitv 5S is in Adam territory, which is beyond the entry level of the KRK's. If your in America than you can get the Presonus T10 for $265. I love my setup to death, I think you would to. The tweeters on the Emotivas are to die for. Got the monitors and sub for $600 total.

My monitors and sub were $484 shipped new :p Cords were $23 shipped; splurged for the premium monoprice XLR's plus I needed the 1/8inch to dual 1/4inch adapter cord . That set me over budget by $7, but I didn't have any room for the monitors plus was considering getting pads for them so I just bought stands. Think those were $60 shipped together new. Besides, I went over budget on my headphones $65, so why not the speakers too? lol. Great way to spend $567 I feel.

Apr 1, 2015 at 8:24 PM Post #359 of 647
From what I remember the Swans IIIs are still pretty okay, but for that kind of money you might want to consider the Emotiva Airmotiv 5S. I have the 4S and IMO it is much better than my old Swans MK200MKII.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back