2.0 Speakers Compilation: Best for <$500
Jan 5, 2015 at 8:08 PM Post #331 of 647
Thanks for the suggestions. I have read about those speakers on sound on sound, and they are all getting good reviews being nice at their price range. I am wondering if any of the three is speicifally weak in bass response?I dont need huge bass but I prefer to have deeper and tighter bass, I am only familiar with fostex as I have some knowledge in headphones, I guess their speakers are tuned to have better bass as well?

Jan 5, 2015 at 9:07 PM Post #332 of 647
 I am only familiar with fostex as I have some knowledge in headphones, I guess their speakers are tuned to have better bass as well?

That's a huge assumption.

Jan 5, 2015 at 9:59 PM Post #333 of 647
Ya I am just assuming base on their headphones...hope I can get some feedbacks from people with more experience with speakers

Jan 8, 2015 at 11:50 AM Post #335 of 647
The one thing that the other guy in the forums here seem to knock me down for is the Focal XS Book. Yes I am completely aware it is marketed as a lifestyle product but for goodness sake... Their flagship is one of the best speakers in the world and I believe all are aware of trickle down tech? Eg. LCD-3 to LCD2? 

While I don't doubt that the Focal XS Books are good, your "trickle down tech" premise doesn't hold up very well in the audio world. I wouldn't base a purchasing decision on that.

Jan 8, 2015 at 2:45 PM Post #336 of 647
BTW massdrop has the JBL LSR308 speakers right now for a really really good price. I have the LSR305 and they are fantastic for the money. The LSR308 are huge but if you got the room you won't find a better speaker for $360/pair.

Jan 15, 2015 at 2:52 AM Post #338 of 647
I second this. Had a speaker-hunting quest at one time and after weeks of struggling I picked a pair of Tannoy Reveals 501a. These are of outstanding quality for their price, have a nice minimalistic design and a bass reflex port in front. Both musically and as studio monitors they never fail me.

Jan 21, 2015 at 2:21 PM Post #339 of 647
I'm looking for active computer speakers, for mainly jazz, classical, and 80's-90's pop. I guess the Yamaha HS5M is on the list. Are monitors too revealing for direct computer connection (macbookpro)? What other options? Budget is $150-275, but I'll go higher if need be.

Jan 21, 2015 at 4:38 PM Post #340 of 647
  I'm looking for active computer speakers, for mainly jazz, classical, and 80's-90's pop. I guess the Yamaha HS5M is on the list. Are monitors too revealing for direct computer connection (macbookpro)? What other options? Budget is $150-275, but I'll go higher if need be.

Yamaha's are the ones for sure. Don't think they make the HS5M anymore. I have the HS8's. Highly recommended.

Jan 21, 2015 at 5:49 PM Post #341 of 647

Yamaha's are the ones for sure. Don't think they make the HS5M anymore. I have the HS8's. Highly recommended.

Thanks. I had just ordered from Sweetwater, but they called and asked if I really wanted only the one speaker I had ordered (doh). They also mentioned the HS5M might not be the best speaker for direct [size=12.8000001907349px]connected[/size] laptop sourced music listening (too revealing).

Asked for a recommendation, they suggested the Focal XS Book. Not sure which way to go, or where to order the HS5M.

Jan 21, 2015 at 6:10 PM Post #342 of 647

Thanks. I had just ordered from Sweetwater, but they called and asked if I really wanted only the one speaker I had ordered (doh). They also mentioned the HS5M might not be the best speaker for direct [size=12.8000001907349px]connected[/size] laptop sourced music listening (too revealing).

Asked for a recommendation, they suggested the Focal XS Book. Not sure which way to go, or where to order the HS5M.

Did you order only one speaker? Studio monitors are priced per single speaker so you probably need to order two of them. I'm just guessing that's what Sweetwater was asking about.

Jan 21, 2015 at 6:39 PM Post #343 of 647

Did you order only one speaker? Studio monitors are priced per single speaker so you probably need to order two of them. I'm just guessing that's what Sweetwater was asking about.

Right, but they still dis-recommended the Yamaha.

Jan 21, 2015 at 8:03 PM Post #345 of 647
Or a monitor controller. Or maybe an out-board interface (DAC) with it's own volume pot.

Perhaps they did say 'too revealing' but what they probably mean is 'we are worried you will send them back and we will have to re-sell them as B stock' because the only way you can control the overall volume is either via software app (inconvenient)  or on the back panel of the Yamahas. Separately for each channel. (even more inconvenient). There are two amplifiers in each enclosure. So you need to set the overall level before it reaches the speaker itself.

Doesn't need to be expensive. Something like this Fostex PC-1e will do ~$20.

http://www.fostexinternational.com/docs/products/PC-1eBW.shtml

Users who are viewing this thread

Back