1MORE H1707 Triple-Driver Over Ear
May 18, 2018 at 8:21 PM Post #316 of 1,586
I don't need a mic because I never listen out of a phone, but I have had some headphones come with two cables...one with mic and one without. That's always a nice touch.

Yup, I'll have to agree with you on that (even if hubby did punch me in the nose!)

May 18, 2018 at 8:45 PM Post #317 of 1,586
I'd think twice if it had a mic, or recable it. Keep that out of the signal, add it if you want.

May 18, 2018 at 8:46 PM Post #318 of 1,586
I warned myself not to read your impressions. I failed. I really dig trance, and I think you're saying that I'd like the triples for that.

But, I also like prog. Steven Wilson sounds horrible with them, right? RIGHT?? You don't need to answer that lol.

Thanks a lot @mbwilson for pointing me in this direction - look at the lust you've inadvertantly invoked in me! (oops - don't tell hubby!)

Its good to read me, and im glad you gave into the temptation, as its for your own good you know... :)
Also, yeah, Steven Wilson sounds really good within them.
Trance will be excellent within them.
Right now, im listening to Audeze Sine's, mostly using the same material i used to listen to the 1707's, and the Sine's are another really good on ear,
but they are a different ride. They are a tighter soundstage, and the sound is more in the front, tho its a fine sound.
I can hear why so many people love these., the mids, the clarity, the resolution, the nice bottom end that is not big but its special and solid, and yes, their comfort level is a modest issue.
Im glad ive found an Audeze that works for me.

happy buying....:)

Last edited:
May 18, 2018 at 8:50 PM Post #319 of 1,586
I don't need a mic because I never listen out of a phone, but I have had some headphones come with two cables...one with mic and one without. That's always a nice touch.
I just figure it doesn't hurt to have iy
I'd think twice if it had a mic, or recable it. Keep that out of the signal, add it if you want.
I thought that the presence of a mic and remote did minimal to nothing to sound quality Also the lack of an available secondary cable with these features means you can't add it if you want it

May 18, 2018 at 10:03 PM Post #321 of 1,586
You owners that want a mic cable (but don't wan't to build your own), the cable for a Sol Republic Master Tracks should work.

The Sol Republic cables have 2.5mm jacks at the ear cups (like the 1More), and the shoulder of the 2.5mm jacks are the same width as the 1More cables (or smaller), so they will physically fit into the recessed sockets in the 1More ear cups.

Be aware that a small % of aftermarket cables have a slightly wider shoulder on the 2.5mm jacks (that wouldn't fit the 1More cups) though, so when selecting a cable you will have to keep an eye on that.

I don't know if the pinouts are the same though; someone would need to just get a Sol Republic cable and let us know if it works or not.

Last edited:
May 18, 2018 at 10:14 PM Post #322 of 1,586
May 18, 2018 at 10:26 PM Post #323 of 1,586
I was tired of losing track of where my headband adjustments were set, so I literally spent 30 seconds and did this:

DSCN0055.JPG

I engraved it in 2-click increments (instead of 1-click increments), so it is very easy to just visually tell if I am at click #2 or 4 (an even number) vs click #3 or 5 (an in-between ie odd number).

To do this, I used a carbide-tipped scriber. You could use other items to make the marks as well (such as the sharp point of a compass, sewing needle, large safety pin, or the point of an Xacto blade).

There is no measuring involved; you just click the headband into position and mark it using the top part as a "guide" (like using a ruler to mark a straight line on paper):

headband markings.jpg

Last edited:
May 18, 2018 at 10:31 PM Post #324 of 1,586
I can't verify this works since I don't have the headphones (yet!) but one user writing a review on Amazon reported that she used this 2.5mm balanced cable (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075C55BGV) with her Triple Driver Over-Ear and it worked well. This cable was made by NewFantasia for "Hifiman HE400S / HE-400I / HE560 / HE-350 / HE1000 / HE1000 V2 / AudioQuest NightHawk headphones", so that at least implies that cables made for these headphones should be compatible with the Triple Driver Over-Ear. Granted, I couldn't find any with a microphone, but... just throwing this in the mix for what it's worth.

May 18, 2018 at 10:33 PM Post #325 of 1,586
@Slater thanks for the tip on using a Sol Republic Master Tracks cable -- I found a number of third party cables for Sol Republic Master Tracks on Amazon, including one terminated in a Lightning plug for us unfortunate Apple iPhone users missing a headphone jack! :sweat_smile:

Lightning-terminated: https://www.amazon.com/Ablet-Replacement-Republic-headphone-Microphone/dp/B071443GNY
3.5mm-terminated: https://www.amazon.com/EEEKit-Replacement-Microphone-Republic-Headphone/dp/B01JA3RLOA

Wow, very cool! Be sure to let us know if it fits and/or works.

I can't tell from the photos if the shoulder is narrow enough, but if it physically fits the cups (and the cable pinouts are compatible w/the 1More) then that is a great option for iPhone 7+ users!

May 19, 2018 at 10:16 AM Post #327 of 1,586
I can't verify this works since I don't have the headphones (yet!) but one user writing a review on Amazon reported that she used this 2.5mm balanced cable (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075C55BGV) with her Triple Driver Over-Ear and it worked well. This cable was made by NewFantasia for "Hifiman HE400S / HE-400I / HE560 / HE-350 / HE1000 / HE1000 V2 / AudioQuest NightHawk headphones", so that at least implies that cables made for these headphones should be compatible with the Triple Driver Over-Ear. Granted, I couldn't find any with a microphone, but... just throwing this in the mix for what it's worth.

I put my aftermarket Nighthawk cable into the H1707 today with good results. So like you said, if it works with the Nighthawk it will work with this if the connector is thin enough...which it has to be to go into the NH.

I don't use any of the stock NH cables. The original silver one broke as it did for many of the owners of the original version. Mine broke off where the plug connects to the source. Bad solder. My husband plans at some point to solder a balanced connector on to it as the cable itself is good... too long for my usage but a good cable. The alternate cable that was included with the original wood NH has terrible microphonics. I was sent the thick cable (with mic) that comes with the newer NH carbon. I hate it. It is short, thick and sprongy and I don't care about having a mic anyway.

This is what I have used for a year and a half now. I originally bought the 1.8m length but recently got the 1.2 m one which I am trying now for the first time...with the H1707. Listening to a binaural recording (Amber Rubarth Sessions from the 17th Ward) so I can confirm that is is outputting stereo. Cayin N3 medium gain volume 44 directly to the H1707. Nice and portable with this setup. After bending the band to my needs there is enough clamp that I can walk around and pick up something from the floor but not enough clamp to be painful. Love these.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FS-Black-Replacement-Cable-for-Sennheiser-HD477-HD497-EH250-EH350-Headphones-New/161804815313?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&var=460777919871&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I like this cable because it is soft and flexible and has no microphonics. I also like the cable that came with my H1707 (copper version). I found out that it would work with the NH because I had an old Sennheiser HD497 (which I hate) and the stock cable worked. HD700 cables will also work for this and the NH but tend to be more expensive than the HD497 one even if they are exactly the same! Because the headphone is more expensive I assume.

One reason I chose the above cable was because of the black connectors which complement my NH and now the H1707. I would not want silver connectors with my wood NH or with this copper H1707 but silver ones would be fine with the USA version of the H1707. Maybe some people don't care about that but I do:) Looks affect the sound you know... lol.

If I could only have one headphone... like if I lived in a box or something... this might be it...Very versatile.,

L̶a̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶I̶ ̶w̶i̶l̶l̶ ̶t̶r̶y̶ ̶m̶y̶ ̶M̶e̶z̶e̶ ̶c̶a̶b̶l̶e̶.̶ ̶T̶h̶e̶ ̶s̶h̶o̶r̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶o̶n̶e̶ ̶d̶o̶e̶s̶ ̶c̶o̶m̶e̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶a̶ ̶m̶i̶c̶.̶ ̶ ̶I̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶n̶k̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶c̶o̶n̶n̶e̶c̶t̶o̶r̶s̶ ̶w̶i̶l̶l̶ ̶f̶i̶t̶ ̶b̶u̶t̶ ̶n̶e̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶c̶o̶n̶f̶i̶r̶m̶ ̶i̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶w̶i̶r̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶c̶o̶r̶r̶e̶c̶t̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶H̶1̶7̶0̶7̶.̶ Just because a cable fits does not mean it will work. I will edit my my post later. Need to finish this album now that I have started it:)

edit: Oops... forgot the Meze cable has 3.5mm not 2.5mm connectors to the cups.

Last edited:
May 19, 2018 at 11:09 AM Post #328 of 1,586
If I could only have one headphone... like if I lived in a box or something... this might be it...Very versatile.,

-
These headphones, exactly as you have stated, dial in a whole lot of sonic yummy-ness.

And pound for pound, dollar for dollar, they swing for the fence and take a might cut.... :)

May 19, 2018 at 11:32 AM Post #329 of 1,586
Fellow H1707 fans, I just finished a mod that some of you may be interested in.

This one doesn't mod anything sound related, but rather something that has bothered me since the very 1st time I saw pictures of the H1707 - the grille. To me it looks like a gaudy aftermarket car rim. I know 1More was trying to be "bold" with the design (as well as protect the plexiglass window), and I applaud them for the effort. But it just never did anything for me, and I prefer a more traditional look. So I thought it was time to go ahead and fix that.

I have always thought the Grado grilles were sexy as heck, so I decided to give the H1707 the same treatment. The H1707 still remains a closed design however - I left the plexiglass window 100% intact despite it looking like an open design. The grilles are purely a cosmetic mod.

I actually did 2 different grille configurations:

1. My silver H1707 received a stainless steel grille. The material cost me under $3usd, and is available in a variety of sizes (ie how fine or coarse the mesh is). The stainless mesh comes as a sheet, so it has to be cut to the proper size/shape.

2. The gold H1707 I gave my brother received a more traditional/subdued black grille (which he thought better offset the flashier gold/copper color). Those grilles cost under $2usd, and come ready-to-go (ie drop right in), as they are made for a 1" tweeter. It's the same grilles I've used on countless other headphone mods (open-converted Philips SHL3300, Bluedio T2, Meizu HD50, and Akai Project 50X).

There is a recess machined into the back side of the stock trim ring, and it is important to make sure whatever grille material is used fits unto the recess. The trim ring must sit flush against the plexiglass window to ensure it seals properly.

So without further ado (click photos for larger version):

The before shot (or as I call it, "rollin' on dubs"):

Removing the grilles:

Delete the center 'wheel' section:

Grille version #1 (Gold H1707 and black grille):

Grille version #2 (Silver H1707 w/stainless 'Grado' grilles. Now that's what I'm talking about!!):

So what's it look like when you reverse the grille configurations?

Silver H1707 w/black grille:

Gold H1707 w/stainless 'Grado' grilles (damn that looks nice too!):

Finally, either grille can be painted any color of the rainbow. I may paint the stainless grilles gunmetal or black, making it look like the Fidelio X2. Or maybe a bronze or copper color would look nice too.

Anyways, enjoy!

Are these the right size? If not could you provide a link please? I have seen you in the KZ thread. Thanks for all of your research.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back