1MORE H1707 Triple-Driver Over Ear
May 7, 2018 at 11:03 AM Post #226 of 1,586
OK, I am back with a mod update.

1More definitely had the right idea by dampening the ceramic driver with the thicker 4-layer foam. However, by covering everything with the foam disc, they also dampened the full details from the wonderful dynamic driver. I combined the 2 tuning methods for the best of both worlds!

The result is a big improvement over stock, and I am 100% pleased with the results. It takes everything good about the stock sound, and fixes the deficiencies. The results is like the stock tuning, except ripped on steroids (w/no fatigue or sibilance).

So basically here's what you do:

1. Remove the ear pads and set them aside. They are glued with a sticky, reusable adhesive. Gently pry the pads up (slowly working your way around the circumference) by applying leverage with a metal spudger tool or non-serrated butter knife.

2. Remove the round foam disc as explained above (peeling up from the edges, and temporarily sticking it to a scrap of wax paper).

3. Using scissors, cut ONE of the foam pads in half:

4. Now cut each half info half again:

5. Now set aside the outer (smallest) pieces, as they will not be used for this mod. You will be using the (2) larger pieces (indicated by arrows):

6. On the face of the "grille", you will notice a section of "solid" plastic on either side of the ceramic driver (where there are no holes).

Now imagine making a straight line that goes through that solid section of plastic, intersecting the ceramic driver (as indicated by the yellow line below). This imaginary line is where you'll be putting the foam strip in step 8.

7. Take 1 of the long pieces of foam from step 5 above, and remove it from the wax paper, exposing the adhesive:

8. Now stick the foam over the area that was indicated by the yellow line in step 6. The strip of foam adheres to the outer edges of the driver grille (just like the round foam disc did):

9. Reinstall the ear pad.

10. On the other side, remove the round foam disc from step 2. However, do not cut that foam pad. Since you created (2) long pieces of foam in step 5, simply use the other foam piece to complete the mod (by following steps 6-9).

11. Save the unused foam disc on a scrap of wax paper (as well as the smaller unused pieces of foam from step 5) in a plastic bag for safe keeping. You'll be able to revert back to the "stock" configuration at any point in time, by simply peeling the pieces from the wax paper and putting everything back where it was originally.

I will keep evaluating other improvements to this headphone, but for such a simple 10 minute mod, I am very pleased with the results; a 100% improvement.

Obviously I know warranty void blah blah blah, so standard 'do mod at your own risk' disclaimer here.

I am going to repeat the mod on the gold version as well (since I know most people own that version). Since it uses the same large round foam disc, I expect the improvements to be positive as well. I will report the results.

@AudiophileAri, please consider passing this along to the engineering department for evaluation and consideration. This simple modification to the manufacturing process could be easily implemented.

Cool dissection, I will pass along the feedback.

Ari

May 16, 2018 at 8:35 AM Post #227 of 1,586
May 17, 2018 at 12:05 PM Post #228 of 1,586
I'm actually pretty curious as to the fitment of these headphones. many people are saying they're more "on-ear" and not really "over-ear". I'm considering getting a pair, however im a bit cautious as if it doesnt fit properly i wont buy them. that being said, no store carries them in my area, the only way id be able to know is if someone makes a very close comparison to other headphones fitment so i can then try thoes on and get some kind of idea as to fitment.
does anyone have inner cup measurements ?

May 17, 2018 at 12:16 PM Post #229 of 1,586
I'm actually pretty curious as to the fitment of these headphones. many people are saying they're more "on-ear" and not really "over-ear". I'm considering getting a pair, however im a bit cautious as if it doesnt fit properly i wont buy them. that being said, no store carries them in my area, the only way id be able to know is if someone makes a very close comparison to other headphones fitment so i can then try thoes on and get some kind of idea as to fitment.
does anyone have inner cup measurements ?

According to Tyll, they have 45 mm ear openings...

https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/1more-triple-driver-over-ear-headphones

"Earpads are round with an 80mm outside diameter; earpad opening is also round with a 45mm opening."

May 17, 2018 at 12:18 PM Post #230 of 1,586
May 17, 2018 at 12:19 PM Post #231 of 1,586
Thanks for that info, as im really curious.
I hope they have some depth in terms of space. i wouldnt say my ears are "big" but maybe 5% above average or so..

What I recall reading and watching from reviews (including Tyll) is that they're more properly categorized as on-ear than over-ear. Tyll says his ears are on the small size and they didn't fit inside fully.

May 17, 2018 at 12:33 PM Post #233 of 1,586
Z Reviews has posted his impressions on his YouTube Channel.

He liked them, as I recall. He raved about the sound. I can't remember what he said about comfort, and he's picky about comfort, so I think that means he could stand the on-ear reality of these "over ears", which is saying something.

May 17, 2018 at 2:03 PM Post #235 of 1,586
What I recall reading and watching from reviews (including Tyll) is that they're more properly categorized as on-ear than over-ear. Tyll says his ears are on the small size and they didn't fit inside fully.
yeah i just read that bit in the review. hmm this doesnt bode well for me as im not a fan of "on-ear" its just not comfortable for me and i prefer "over-ear" isolation.

May 17, 2018 at 2:31 PM Post #236 of 1,586
They are definitely an on ear headphone, however... I find them as comfortable or perhaps more comfortable than any of the over ear full size cans that I have. The pads are terrific and the clamp is perfect. They’re super comfortable and I have no issues with long listening sessions. I also find they seal and isolate very well. I was skeptical at first but comfort and isolation are not going to be an issue for most people I don’t think. They’re super comfy.

May 17, 2018 at 2:37 PM Post #237 of 1,586
These are generally highly praised which is making me consider them even though they are on-ear. I generally don't like on-ears, although I do own some.

I wish that 1-MORE had done these with swappable pads to give the user the option to use smaller vs larger pads, a la the just released Master & Dynamic MW50+, which comes with on-ear and over-ear pads that are quickly swappable.

May 17, 2018 at 2:51 PM Post #238 of 1,586
They are definitely not as on-ear as something like Beats Solo, which sit 100% up on the ear itself.

The 1Mores are in between an on-ear and over-ear, right at that oddball 80mm size.

They will touch the very edges of most people’s ears, which I know bothers a lot of people. Luckily the 1More pad is very soft, and I can wear them for hours without bother. I can’t say the same for true on-ears, which I feel like pulling off my head after 15 minutes.

I actually started working on an oval over-ear pad mod this morning as a matter of fact. That’s what they should have done IMO. Using a 95x80mm oval pad would have allowed it to be right at over-ear size, yet still very compact. This is the size of Beats Studio 2.0 and Audio Technica AT-40(X)/M50(X) for reference, as well as many other headphones. 90mm round would have worked well too, and are quite a common over-ear size. Those 10-15mm extra make all the world of difference.

(I apologize for all of the Beats references haha. It’s nice to use them as a common point reference though, because you can walk into just about any store in the world and try them on for size/fit comparisons).

Last edited:
May 17, 2018 at 2:53 PM Post #239 of 1,586
They are definitely not as on-ear as something like Beats Solo, which sit 100% up on the ear itself.

The 1Mores are in between an on-ear and over-ear.

They will touch the very edges of most people’s ears, which I know bothers a lot of people. Luckily the 1More pad is very soft, and I can wear them for hours without bother. I can’t say the same for true on-ears, which I feel like pulling off my head after 15 minutes.

I actually started working on an oval over-ear pad mod this morning as a matter of fact.

I'm not surprised, you are one of the most prolific (and successful) modder's here on Head-Fi, your work is awesome... look forward to hearing about your over-ear pad mod for these.

May 17, 2018 at 3:07 PM Post #240 of 1,586
Z Reviews has posted his impressions on his YouTube Channel.

Funny (and positive) review indeed! Here it is:

Edit: colorful langauge warning!

Personally, I'd like to hear that they are easier to drive.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back