1MORE H1707 Triple-Driver Over Ear
Apr 6, 2018 at 1:22 PM Post #196 of 1,586
I don't mind at all the "gold" coloring, in fact it looks really good and possibly I'd like it slightly better than silver. BUT I'm more interesting the Silver tuning though based on all facts I have reading several Silver version praising reviews as well as comparing Amazon co.uk vs .com user reviews and the fact AudiophileAri described the Gold version to be brighter and worse in the bass extension and Tyll already described the Silver as ever so slightly on the bright side of neutral (not to the point of becoming disturbingly so) makes me think the Gold ones would likely be slightly too bright sounding for my tastes (I don't like exaggerated treble). Besides that, I do think the grammy award recieving sound engineer Luca Bignardi knows a thing or two about mastering/tuning sound (I'm a hobbyist mastering engineer and I know how important experience is when it comes to that). I also don't take it lightly when Tyll thinks a headphone punches very well or perhaps a bit above its price range.

Wonder when we can buy the Silver versions in europe? :)

Apr 6, 2018 at 1:29 PM Post #197 of 1,586
So I have been in touch with 1more and it’s pretty simple actually. Any of these headphones that you buy in the states are silver colored and have the graphene driver. Any purchased in eu are gold colored and have the titanium driver. They revoiced the headphone before they released it in the states and changed the driver material. They have the same model number regardless of color. The box for the silver version is mislabeled and is being corrected soon. They have been wonderful to talk to and replied to me very quickly. It’s a little confusing, but I don’t feel duped in any way. I am immensely happy with these headphones. I love the way they sound. I’ve been very happy with them. This is a little hiccup in the packaging that they are correcting in future production runs of the headphone. I try to stay very positive and just enjoy the music, the music is what got me into this hobby in the first place, it’s a little misstep by 1more but otherwise I love this headphone. I also love my quad driver. I’ve been super happy with these two cans that I have purchased from them and the customer service has been flawless and friendly. Just my 2 cents.

Apr 6, 2018 at 1:33 PM Post #198 of 1,586
Personally I do not find the gold version to be too bright... and I really do not like bright headphones. I also find it has plenty of bass extension. Maybe because I have burned them in for well over 100 hours? Maybe just something about how they fit me.

Too bad there is no one on headfi that can actually listen to the two side by side and compare.

Apr 6, 2018 at 1:33 PM Post #199 of 1,586
So I have been in touch with 1more and it’s pretty simple actually. Any of these headphones that you buy in the states are silver colored and have the graphene driver. Any purchased in eu are gold colored and have the titanium driver. They revoiced the headphone before they released it in the states and changed the driver material. They have the same model number regardless of color. The box for the silver version is mislabeled and is being corrected soon. They have been wonderful to talk to and replied to me very quickly. It’s a little confusing, but I don’t feel duped in any way. I am immensely happy with these headphones. I love the way they sound. I’ve been very happy with them. This is a little hiccup in the packaging that they are correcting in future production runs of the headphone. I try to stay very positive and just enjoy the music, the music is what got me into this hobby in the first place, it’s a little misstep by 1more but otherwise I love this headphone. I also love my quad driver. I’ve been super happy with these two cans that I have purchased from them and the customer service has been flawless and friendly. Just my 2 cents.

Nailed it sir....

Apr 6, 2018 at 1:34 PM Post #200 of 1,586
The US customer service is probably better than the europe at this point as they probably right now have more focus on the US market. The US customer service quickly replied on my question but unfortunately they couldn't tell me about the european market and told me to contact the EU based customer support which I yet haven't recieved a response from.

Personally I do not find the gold version to be too bright... and I really do not like bright headphones. I also find it has plenty of bass extension. Maybe because I have burned them in for well over 100 hours? Maybe just something about how they fit me.

Too bad there is no one on headfi that can actually listen to the two side by side and compare.

But But, what if you would like the Silver ones EVEN MORE? :wink:

I'm even slightly considering doing one for the team and order both Gold and Silver ones when they become available on european amazon site to compare the two, Amazon has such an excellent return policy that it makes it an option I'm considering.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2018 at 3:35 PM Post #203 of 1,586
On my monitor this photo that I found on the web looks pretty close in color... definitely not exactly what I would call gold.

If it does not rain tomorrow I will see if I can get a photo of my own in the daylight. This is how mine looks now in the evening light in my house under normal household lighting.

1more-1707-2.png

Apr 6, 2018 at 4:06 PM Post #204 of 1,586
Received my H1707s earlier today.

Wow, OOTB I am impressed. The packaging, build quality, and comfot is top notch. Headband clamp is just right. No pressure spots on the ear pads, even though the size is between an on-ear and over-ear. Sound is excellent, and I find the balance of each frequency to be just right. Plenty of bass punch, nice mids, and well detailed treble. I haven't tried them from my iPhone yet, but so far from the X3 + FiiO E12A they are excellent. Easily my favorite headphone purchase since the Fidelio X2.

My only complaints are related to the cable:
1. The memory kinks are annoying, and I doubt they will straighten out.
2. I've never been a fan of fabric covered cables. It always just comes across as cheap (even though I'm sure it's a quality made cable). I would have preferred a TPE or silicone-sheathed cable (like the Xiaomi Pro HD for example). which would have had a more premium feel and no memory effect.
3. Finally, no chin slider is both a surprise and dissapointment. Sure, I can make my own chin slider out of a wire tie or piece of velcro, but it would have cost $0.10 to add it to the cable at the time of manufacture.

In the grand scheme of things, the cable complaints are trivial, because I can just change out the cable. I only mention it because no product is perfect, and everything has room for improvements.

I also noticed something which will be of interest to many of us. The ceramic piezo driver is offset (you can feel it in the center of the pad where the R and L indicators are). Anyways, if you turn the headphones around so that the R and L sides are switched, the sound is tweaked slightly (more forward-ness to the the upper midrange and lower treble, which also gives the illusion of more clarity). And before you say "yeah Slater, but I don't want to do that because the R and L channels will be switched", just reverse the cables in the cups so the channels are correct (ie white-tipped cable in the red-jacked cup, and red tipped cable in the white-jacked cup). So far, I prefer this "reversed" configuration over the "normal" configuration. With the "reversed" configuration, the ceramic driver is firing directly into your ear canal (ie auditory meatus) instead of firing into the back of your ear (ie helix). Give it a try and see which way you like it.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2018 at 4:55 PM Post #206 of 1,586
I'm with Slater, never liked & understood the sleeved cable hype, they only get frayed with time and creates more rub resistance against clothes which leads to more noise and the fact you notice the cable more.

I'm a bit unorthodox like that though as I prefer the thinner cable (lighter and less felt when lying against your body) and the slippier the better. My favorite cable is the 1.3 m Monoprice 8323 bundled cable which is quite a bit thinner than your usual cable but is also that much more lighter and simply disappears from your attention. For me always function over form.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2018 at 5:04 PM Post #207 of 1,586
No memory kinks in my cable. I like the cable...and I have never used a chin slider ever.

Maybe the memory kinks will relax after a few days. Sometimes cables relax; sometimes not.

The sliders help with the microphonics (which fabric covered cabled almos always have, including this one). It also helps with double-entry cables (and IEMs), when doing any moving around.

If you're just sitting still in bed or on the couch, it doesn't really matter. If you're walking around, commuting, getting in and out of cars, exercising, etc the extra cables hanging around get in the way, cause more microphonics from rubbing on slothes, and there is an increased risk of catching the cables on something.

My take on sliders is that I'd rather have the option and not use it then not have it and wish I did. Like I mentioned, it only costs a few pennies to add it at the time of manufacture, and if it never gets used by some folks, it just stays down at the y-split and out of the way.

Apr 12, 2018 at 7:33 AM Post #209 of 1,586
I'm wondering how these are compared to my B&W P7 or B&O H6(Gen2), i'd really like to try these i'm curious as to how the 2 active drivers and 1 passive sounds.
To me these headphones look good in dark titanium / gold colour. :) so win win with whichever you end up with.

Apr 21, 2018 at 9:58 PM Post #210 of 1,586
So I added the gold H1707 to the stable, so I now have both gold and silver versions.

I will be doing official reviews of both, but for now I wanted to post some quick and dirty impressions, since I know many of you have questions about gold vs silver.

Cosmetic differences:

"Gold" ie EU/Asian version:
  • The gold color isn't gold (ie yellow) at all, but rather a beautiful gold/copper-ish color
  • The disc/cover in the center of the passive bass radiator is the same anodized gold/copper-ish color as the cups
  • The headband has very small gold/copper piping accents running the length of either side
  • The fabric covering the cable (below the Y connector) is black w/red speckled throughout
  • The metal bodies of the Y split, 2.5mm, & 3.5mm are the same anodized gold/copper-ish color as the cups

"Silver" ie US version:
  • The silver color isn't silver, but rather a titanium color
  • The disc/cover in the center of the passive bass radiator is the same anodized titanium color as the cups
  • The headband has very small silver piping accents running the length of either side
  • The fabric covering the cable (below the Y connector) is all black
  • The metal bodies of the Y split, 2.5mm, & 3.5mm are the anodized black

Packaging:
  • The packaging is identical between the 2 versions (we know at some point 1More will change the text on the silver version's box to reflect the graphene driver)

Sound Difference:
As you all know, the drivers are different between the 2 versions (Gold=titanium, Silver-graphene). In all honesty though, the difference in sound between the 2 is pretty minor. They both sound excellent, and I like them both. IMO, the Silver version has more sub-bass punch, is a bit warmer sounding, and has a bit cleaner bass presentation (that I have found is somewhat characteristic of graphene drivers). The Gold version has a few dBs less sub-bass (but it still has sub-bass, and deep hitting at that). As far as treble, remember the ceramic-piezo driver fills in a lot of the treble. Therefore, it's logical that the treble is quite similar between the 2 versions. Both have bright and sparkly treble, with plenty of lively energy. The Gold version has a bit more treble, but it comes across as a bit more thin and dry. The Silver version has a bit less treble, and it's smoother sounding. I would be interested in seeing a FR graph of each, as to my ears the differences boils down to merely a few dBs here and there.

Removing the grille for the passive radiator, the bass vents are identical in size. Externally, the cup construction, vents, etc appear 100% identical between the 2 colors.

Final Verdict:
I was surprised at how minimal the tuning differences were. Both are essentially v-shaped headphones, the silver version is just a little north of v-shaped (towards the neutral side), and the gold version is a little south of v-shaped (more v-shaped with a bit more sub-bass). Don't stress out too much about the "right" one to pick. Just get whatever is easiest to get in your country, or get whichever color you like better. They both sound great, and you literally can't go wrong with either. That's why there are numerous comments from owners saying the Gold version "sounds just fine to me". Neither are bad. Yes, technically there are (minor) tuning differences, but it's really splitting hairs.

If I was forced to pick 1, it would be the silver version. I listen to EDM, and like the little bit of extra sub-bass oomph, and the smoother treble. It is more fun sounding to me. If I had never heard the silver version though, I would be just as happy with the gold version, and would never even have known there was a difference.

Let me know if that's helpful or not, and let me know if anyone has any specific questions. I'll bring them both with me to the next Ohio CanJam for anyone that wants to listen to them both back-to-back for themselves.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back