1MORE H1707 Triple-Driver Over Ear
Jan 21, 2019 at 8:33 AM Post #871 of 1,586
Between this mod, and cutting the inner foam strips so that they only cover the piezo driver, these headphones just reached a while new level of awesomeness. Thanks!!!!

That red and gold combination is hot!! Nice job :)

Jan 22, 2019 at 9:33 PM Post #874 of 1,586
Ok, I said this a while ago over in the Nighthawks thread:
I only recently got the Massdrop Grace SDAC, and just now I just got the Cavalli Liquid Spark amp (before now I was using portable amps).

I know that these are not the most expensive items in the world (far from it!), nevertheless the SDAC + Liquid Spark + Nighthawks + Radiohead = a one very happy waynes world!

I'm rediscovering how awesome the Nighthawks are all over again. Should be a fun trip! :)

I wasn't expecting the H1707's to sound so good off of the SDAC+Spark, but OMG they sound good. I was using portable amps like the Cayin C5 and Fiio E12, and with those the H1707's sounded great. But out of the Liquid Spark... amazing. I think they were born for each other :)

Feb 11, 2019 at 8:13 PM Post #875 of 1,586
I chose a three-pack Beats Studio 2, khaki, grey, dark grey for 15 bucks on ebay

Yes more ear-room and no touching the ceramic drive, slightly thicker pad 23mm, original 18mm sans the round black mounting ring holding it. Size 95x80, original 85x85, so a little ugly misfit where it on one side is too long going over the headphone edge and too short on the other (pad is oval yea). Inner diam 55x40, original 45x45

20190212_004031.png 20190212_003645.png 20190212_002708.png 20190212_001814.png 20190212_005308.png

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2019 at 9:56 PM Post #876 of 1,586
I chose a three-pack Beats Studio 2, khaki, grey, dark grey for 15 bucks on ebay

Yes more ear-room and no touching the ceramic drive, slightly thicker pad 23mm, original 18mm sans the round black mounting ring holding it. Size 95x80, original 85x85, so a little ugly misfit where it on one side is too long going over the headphone edge and too short on the other (pad is oval yea). Inner diam 55x40, original 45x45

Looks great friend! That ivory pad is HOT!

Did you do anything with the foam covering the ceramic driver, or leave it stock?

Also, just curious...did you peel off the foam layer from the back side (center) of the Beats pad’s fabric center section, or leave the foam layer on?

I was thinking about treating my H1707 to the sheepskin leather Beats 2.0 pads another member intalled on his. There’s nothing like the feeling of that buttery smooth sheepskin against your head.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2019 at 2:29 PM Post #877 of 1,586
Yes not too shabby! Much thanks to your tedious mods and guides! I had it in the back of my mind to mention the four layer foam thing over the ceramic in above post, but while omitting it I was sure you would ask curiously about it!

So yes; peeled of the foam on the pad and peeled of two layers of the ceramic cover padding (no cutting but I might later). This was made with almost no sound testing, just a good mid-way solution I thought, slightly less foam overall but at least something securing and dampening. And you're the right dude to flavor it ivory with more panache :wink:

I'm sure genuin leather soft pads will be sweet. Now the only thing I'm leaning towards is for a possible pad with ever so slightly wider form factor (to match 85mm cup) so it will be a perfect cosmetic fit, but indeed happy with the looks and comfort for now, thanks again.

picture below showing pads/phones tad cramped in case but still easily closable and secure for travel

20190212_191655.png

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2019 at 4:25 PM Post #878 of 1,586
Yes not too shabby! Much thanks to your tedious mods and guides! I had it in the back of my mind to mention the four layer foam thing over the ceramic in above post, but while omitting it I was sure you would ask curiously about it!

So yes; peeled of the foam on the pad and peeled of two layers of the ceramic cover padding (no cutting but I might later). This was made with almost no sound testing, just a good mid-way solution I thought, slightly less foam overall but at least something securing and dampening. And you're the right dude to flavor it ivory with more panache :wink:

I'm sure genuin leather soft pads will be sweet. Now the only thing I'm leaning towards is for a possible pad with ever so slightly wider form factor (to match 85mm cup) so it will be a perfect cosmetic fit, but indeed happy with the looks and comfort for now, thanks again.

picture below showing pads/phones tad cramped in case but still easily closable and secure for travel

I forgot about it still fitting in the stock case!

As far as larger pads, it’s definitely possible. I even put full size HM5 pads on to test. In the end though, the Beats pads were the only ones that didn’t noticeably change the sound tuning. This is because it has the same volume as the stock pads, only smooshed into an oval shape.

Feb 12, 2019 at 5:31 PM Post #879 of 1,586
guess I can share an eight tunes (seven flac/alac and one dff) quite diverse 'ear candy demo' for the curious, I believe all tracks have proper tags and album art otherwise ask (or leave as blind test) .. they should sound amazing in any setup

eight tunes

Mar 3, 2019 at 1:22 AM Post #880 of 1,586
Anyone here can help me on this? I need to know about the diameter of the 2.5mm plugs on the H1707's cable as well as their pin-out. Thanks in advance.

Mar 4, 2019 at 2:32 PM Post #882 of 1,586
Anyone here can help me on this? I need to know about the diameter of the 2.5mm plugs on the H1707's cable as well as their pin-out. Thanks in advance.

don't have proper measurement but with an adjustable spanner and ruler I get 4.5mm diam on the cable plug (male) and the cup (female) ca 5mm .. but earlier in thread it's mentioned that 2.5mm Trrs Male Cable for Hifiman HE-models fit the 1More

Sorry, I forgot all about this.

Update: 2.5mm plugs have 6.0mm shoulders

Cable pinout (excuse the quickie/crude sketch):

B11E7450-2CED-472B-B2CF-557B89FF9AED.jpeg

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2019 at 7:47 PM Post #884 of 1,586
Sorry, I forgot all about this.

Update: 2.5mm plugs have 6.0mm shoulders

Cable pinout (excuse the quickie/crude sketch):

Slater, hah yea before I made my edit I had totally misread the ruler .. so my 6mm (male/plug) - 6.3 (female/cup) should be kinda correct.

Excellent. Much appreciated.

Mar 6, 2019 at 4:58 PM Post #885 of 1,586
Excellent. Much appreciated.

Excellent is right! You can now make me a nice short balanced cable for my H1701's and ES100! :sunglasses:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back