1MORE H1707 Triple-Driver Over Ear
Jan 12, 2019 at 7:32 PM Post #856 of 1,586
But I still don't know what the radiator looks like. I feel stupid.

1More calls it the “bass reflector”, but it’s properly known in audio as a passive radiator.

(Note:
These are generic stock photos)

7DDB6662-6615-45AF-9942-1741F4BE64BE.png E1072FC4-4D68-4B8B-9BF0-BC5C7C72E6A2.jpeg A5E49650-B995-4014-9FBC-5DBC6668F140.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2019 at 5:54 AM Post #857 of 1,586
In the beginning they sounded nice and I like them but now after few weeks I can't tell the same. Soundstage sounds too artificial, and highs are you too laid-back .. It was a good experience but I sent them back

Jan 13, 2019 at 10:53 AM Post #858 of 1,586
In the beginning they sounded nice and I like them but now after few weeks I can't tell the same. Soundstage sounds too artificial, and highs are you too laid-back .. It was a good experience but I sent them back

The laid back highs is why I came up with the foam mod. With it, you can add as much highs as you are comfortable with.

On my silver pair, I only have a thin strip of foam right over the driver. On my brother’s gold pair, I removed the foam disc completely. The gold set sounds really good with the foam disc completely removed.

Jan 13, 2019 at 10:58 AM Post #859 of 1,586
The laid back highs is why I came up with the foam mod. With it, you can add as much highs as you are comfortable with.

On my silver pair, I only have a thin strip of foam right over the driver. On my brother’s gold pair, I removed the foam disc completely. The gold set sounds really good with the foam disc completely removed.

I can't find anything wrong with the sound of my stock gold pair. What should I be listening for?

Jan 13, 2019 at 11:50 AM Post #860 of 1,586
I can't find anything wrong with the sound of my stock gold pair. What should I be listening for?

It’s not anything wrong, but rather just a sound signature preference. Some people like brighter highs. Or more sub bass. Or more forward midrange. Or smoother treble. Or wider soundstage.

So if a headphone or earphone doesn’t have your preferred signature, your choices are 1. to mod it (if possible) or 2. get rid of it.

The guy above chose #2. I chose #1.

Nothing wrong with either. I know you’re perfectly happy with yours as-is, which is perfectly fine too.

Jan 13, 2019 at 12:07 PM Post #861 of 1,586
Nothing wrong with either. I know you’re perfectly happy with yours as-is, which is perfectly fine too.

I guess I am just confused because I do not find anything to be missing... so I am wondering... what am I missing:)

Can I or can I not recommend these to someone asking for a neutral closed back that runs well with a dap?

Jan 13, 2019 at 12:46 PM Post #862 of 1,586
I guess I am just confused because I do not find anything to be missing... so I am wondering... what am I missing:)

Can I or can I not recommend these to someone asking for a neutral closed back that runs well with a dap?

You’re not missing anything. The stock H1707, in both gold and silver, are great headphones totally as-is.

Jan 13, 2019 at 12:49 PM Post #863 of 1,586
You’re not missing anything. The stock H1707, in both gold and silver, are great headphones totally as-is.

What about that recommendation that someone asked for in another thread that I post in? Neutral?

Edit: I had stopped recommending these to others after all the modding discussion and a certain amount of complaining.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2019 at 1:06 PM Post #864 of 1,586
What about that recommendation that someone asked for in another thread that I post in? Neutral?

Edit: I had stopped recommending these to others after all the modding discussion and a certain amount of complaining.

The only modding I ever considered is primarily for comfort. I don't feel the need to do any of the mods that affect the sound because I am completely happy with the sound.

I heartily recommend them to people, but I do suggest that if they feel any discomfort, that reversing the drivers will most likely solve the issue (which it has mainly done for me).

I even more heartily recommend them to people at the ridiculously low prices they've been on sale for recently.

Jan 13, 2019 at 11:31 PM Post #865 of 1,586
I had been following this forum closely for a while and after watching a few youtube reviews on these pair of headphones, I jumped on the BB deal during Black Friday. I am very happy with my purchase so far and use it regularly for my listening (without any mods). I pair these with the Hidizs Sonata DAC (which was also on sale for around $25) and together, they sound lively. Thanks to y'all, I now have one of the best sounding headphones for under $129 :)

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2019 at 12:15 AM Post #866 of 1,586
Jan 16, 2019 at 9:19 AM Post #868 of 1,586
I fixed that for you.

Congrats!
Haha, thanks :smile: One thing I noticed after few days of usage in public commute. After 30 mins of listening, the earpads become warm and will go to a point where I just start to sweat! I then let the pads rest near the AC vent for 5 mins before another 30-minute session.
Anyone else facing this warming issue with the pads? And found any hacks to fix it? Let me know.

Jan 21, 2019 at 7:21 AM Post #870 of 1,586
20190120_210536.jpg
Between this mod, and cutting the inner foam strips so that they only cover the piezo driver, these headphones just reached a while new level of awesomeness. Thanks!!!!

Over the last few weeks, I've been refining my testing with various pads, and wanted to share the results of the pad I have finally settled on.

After additional testing, I ended not being crazy about just slipping new pads over the stock cups (as seen here):

The fit was just too loose to provide a tight enough seal, and bass suffered as a result.

Therefore, I have concentrated my recent testing on pads that reuse the stock plastic mounting ring. This retains the clip mounting system, as well as the stock foam ring, providing a stock-like seal and no loss of bass.

I settled on an oval replacement pad designed for Beats Studio 2.0. I have used these a few other headphone projects, and I like them a lot. They're the most compact oval pad that I've ever found that is truly over ear. While the Beats pad isn't as generously sized as larger pads (like HM5), it has exactly enough room to fit my ear fully inside (YMMV depending on your ear size). It's a bit thicker than stock, which provided me enough room so that my ears didn't rub on the ceramic tweeter (which was worth its weight in gold).

If you want to know how well this pad would fit with your ears, simply go anywhere that sells Beats (Apple store, WalMart, Best Buy, Target, etc) and try on a pair of Beats Studio 2.0 (wired or wireless). You can also have someone measure the H x W of your ears for you.

The Beats pads are available in multiple colors and materials (including protein leather and velour). I got black protein leather, and paid $15.

Here's how the size compares to stock:
  • Stock pad - Round, OD (80mm), ID (45mm), Thickness (15mm)
  • Beats Studio 2.0 pad - Oval, OD (90mm H x 80mm W), ID (55mm H x 40mm W), Thickness (20mm)
Here's the 2 pads side-by-side so you can visualize the difference:

The Beats pads do require the removal of the stock pad from its plastic mounting ring. Harvesting the plastic mounting rings require destroying the stock pads, so you should consider the stock pads as 'sacrificial'.

However, if your stock pads are worn out beyond saving (as all of our pads will be at some point down the road), this is no big deal. Also, since my ears rubbed the tweeter due to it's poor depth and small ID, I was perfectly fine sacrificing my stock pads (as the result was a usable and comfortable solution).

Perhaps someone can/will come up with a 3D printed mounting ring at some point (maybe even me) so the stock pad/mounting ring doesn't have to be touched at all.

1. Anyways, you start by removing the stock pads from the headphones (by prying w/a credit card, dull non-serrated butter knife, spudger tool, etc).

2. Once you have the stock pads removed, you separate the stock pad from the plastic mounting ring by simply peeling it off:

3. With the stock pad separated from the plastic mounting ring, remove any adhesive residue by rubbing the residue with your thumb in a continuous rolling motion. Here's what you're left with.

4. Before you mount your Beats pad, remove the thin layer of foam from the back of the pad (if you don't, the sound will be veiled). Just tear/peel off the foam layer off and discard. The Beats pad will still have the layer of fabric in the center (like the stock pad where the L and R is written). You can see the foam layer here (the color of the foam can vary):

5. The Studio 2.0 pads come with 3M adhesive pre-attached (the good quality pads at least; the cheap ones have generic adhesive that adheres poorly). You simply peel the backing paper off, center the pad using the 4 clips as a guide (ie like 'cross hairs'), and stick the Beats pad to the face of the plastic trim ring (pressing firmly/evenly to ensure complete adhesion):

6. Now snap the pad back onto the headphone and you're done. Make sure you line up the 2 alignment pins on the plastic trim ring (shown in the top photo) with the 2 alignment holes in the face of the earcup (shown in the bottom photo):

Here's the finished product:

Because the internal volume of the Beats pads is very close to the stock pad, there is virtually no change in sound (other than a slightly wider soundstage). They are now truly over-ears (at least my ears), with no rubbing on the tweeter - success!

I feel this solution supersedes my previous pad replacements I posted a number of pages back. However, if your ears are just too large for the Beats pads, the method I laid out to use the HM5 pads (and example) is still a valid option.

Finally, replacing the Beats pads (when they eventually wear out) couldn't be easier. Just pull them off, pitch them, and peel and stick on a new set.

Attachments

• 20190120_210536.jpg
    20190120_210536.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back