1964 Ears V6 versus JH13 monitors, equal?
Feb 6, 2013 at 4:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

ucrags84

100+ Head-Fier
I'm strongly considering ordering the 1964 Ears V6, they appear to be an incredible value. Add-in their discount for previous 1964 ears customers and this is a true value proposition. Problem is I haven't found enough reviews to take a careful look at this, the appreciation thread doesn't have too many reviews either. The JH13's on the other hand are widely considered to be elite monitors, but they cost nearly twice as much as the V6. 

My setup will be listening straight out of an iPhone 5 or very good PC sound card. Given this, is the Jh13 twice as good as the 1964 ears V6's because the JH13's cost twice as much? Or can the V6 monitors really hold their own? 

Are the V6's close enough to the elite monitors like the JH13, Westone ES5, or Earsonics EM4? 

Thank you,  appreciate your input. 

Feb 6, 2013 at 4:20 AM Post #2 of 27
I'm strongly considering ordering the 1964 Ears V6, they appear to be an incredible value. Add-in their discount for previous 1964 ears customers and this is a true value proposition. Problem is I haven't found enough reviews to take a careful look at this, the appreciation thread doesn't have too many reviews either. The JH13's on the other hand are widely considered to be elite monitors, but they cost nearly twice as much as the V6. 

My setup will be listening straight out of an iPhone 5 or very good PC sound card. Given this, is the Jh13 twice as good as the 1964 ears V6's because the JH13's cost twice as much? Or can the V6 monitors really hold their own? 

Are the V6's close enough to the elite monitors like the JH13, Westone ES5, or Earsonics EM4? 

Thank you,  appreciate your input. 

Although i can't say much for either one. I can give you this advice. Normally, because of the law of diminishing returns, you won't exactly get something that is 2x in quality just because it is 2x in price. Most likely, there may be some improvements, but you can't really quantify it saying that it would be twice as good. So id expect that the difference between the V6 andthe Jh13 to be present but nothing thatlarge.

Feb 6, 2013 at 4:27 AM Post #3 of 27
I'd probably buy the V6 and a proper source and/or amp rather than a set of JH13s and listening out of a PC soundcard if I were you.

What's this about a discount for previous customers by the way?

Feb 6, 2013 at 7:47 AM Post #4 of 27
http://audio-head.com/1964-ears-v6-review/

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-57567165-47/1964-ears-custom-in-ear-headphones-beat-their-competition-on-price/

^Dunno if you've read those reviews or not.

But you know, you live in the states so you should be able to find V6 and JH13's demo unit easily; why don't you just demo both and see the difference?

Of course demo units tend to sound differently than the finished product, but it should be enough to give you a general idea of how the product sounds.

Feb 6, 2013 at 11:24 AM Post #5 of 27
If it's about value, just buy a HF5 or Gr01. After that, the cost performance ratio thing becomes very personal. I ordered the JH13 because the new Freqphase models were getting reports of best ever and I already very much liked the previous version. I like them a lot but haven't heard everything so can't comment on whether those reports are accurate. It also sounds quite good on my Ipod touch. Better than other good things do on an amp or better DAP. Surprised me that while being so revealing, it also paired well. Maybe something to do with the new crossovers. That said, things like the Alclair reference and the V6 look like excellent deals though not everyone has preferred the V6 to the V4. JH5 still have a large following as well.

Feb 6, 2013 at 1:18 PM Post #6 of 27
Accept for the few head-fiers who have went out of their way to get multiple CIEMs so that they can be the resident experts on them, I don't think many head-fiers own multiple customs (especially from different companies). Customs are much more expensive than universals in general (that seems to be changing some though) that I think users really wanted to make sure a particular CIEM fit their sound signature, rather than risking buying a variety of CIEM that one might hate (and it's not so easy to sell).

So maybe a few own or have heard all three of the customs you mentioned, but I doubt you will find many who have (if any). The V6 is only the second custom I've ever owned (I also own the 1964-Q). And it's one of three I've ever heard (if I'm going to count the demo of Aurisonics AS-2. I rank it as the best BA IEM I've heard, and in the top two of best IEM I've heard period (I need to hear the the AS-2 again to decide which is better to my ears).

Feb 6, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #7 of 27
Customs are hard to buy. Even demos only give an idea of what they are. If I went by some reviews, I'd have thought the JH13 lacks some bass compared to the jh16 and to be honest, if anything, it's a already slightly above neutral/natural or whatever term suits today. It's not a often mentioned sub bass bump either. I got that impression before a refit but now that everything's in the right place, the entire bass is very slightly elevated while not affecting the mids at all. This works for me as I can still follow the bass line walking down a trafficed street. They're still running in and snapping up a bit as they get hours but I could never be a JH16 customer which seems to be most often favored here. So much personal preference goes into these reviews that it's tough for someone reading them to make that decision.

Feb 6, 2013 at 2:28 PM Post #8 of 27
Quote:
Customs are hard to buy. Even demos only give an idea of what they are. If I went by some reviews, I'd have thought the JH13 lacks some bass compared to the jh16 and to be honest, if anything, it's a already slightly above neutral/natural or whatever term suits today. It's not a often mentioned sub bass bump either. I got that impression before a refit but now that everything's in the right place, the entire bass is very slightly elevated while not affecting the mids at all. This works for me as I can still follow the bass line walking down a trafficed street. They're still running in and snapping up a bit as they get hours but I could never be a JH16 customer which seems to be most often favored here. So much personal preference goes into these reviews that it's tough for someone reading them to make that decision.

True, and the V6s are nowhere near bass-shy. 

Feb 6, 2013 at 3:43 PM Post #9 of 27
  1. My entry into the CIEM market was the 1964 T. I only needed one refit, it was a great value for roughly $400 back then. They have since upgraded their line to the V series. 
  2. I sought out a more revealing and balanced IEM. I had fit issues with an ES5 and Earsonics EM4 which eventually had to be sent back because they were unable to  fit the right ear. Still, I got a sense of the sound signatures on these, and the ES5 was the most revealing, but I hated the soft canals.  The EM4 was lush and somehow balanced, unfortunately the fit was bad and tuning was off after the final refit. 
  3. Yes I read Steve CNET review and the Audio head review. The CNET review was not very good, they it glossed over the impressions of the sound impressions. I believe there was a very good review from Joshua Chu? on Head-Fi, it has me pretty convinced. 
  4. I don't think I can lug around an amp or listen out of a high-end source. My laptop sound card is very very good. It can output 7.1, aux, everything. The output has virtually no noise and is almost flat. I value portability in my case, the iPhone 5 or my laptop because I'm on the move a lot. 
  5. I think I agree about the diminishing returns, I don't know how much better the JH 13 will get, the price delta for me now would be $624, impressions included excluding taxes and shipping. 
  6. Looks like it's the V6 then. Haven't heard bad things about 1964 ears. 

Feb 7, 2013 at 1:29 PM Post #11 of 27
delete

Jun 17, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #12 of 27
Hm, interesting thread,

I'm in the same situation, as I read the jh16 or 13 would be the best for me, but the price is just to much at the moment. I'm in London maybe I can get an get an appointment on the weekend at the;
http://www.custom-inearmonitors.co.uk/demo-sessions.html

They have all these for demo;
1964 Ears: 1964-V3, 1964-Q and 1964-V6
ACS Custom: T1, T2 and T3. We can demo the T1 Live! using the T1 and the T2 Live! using the T2
Unique Melody: Marvel, Aero, Mage, Merlin and Miracle
JH Audio: JH5 Pro, JH11 Pro, JH13 Pro (freqphase), JH16 Pro (freqphase)
M-Fidelity: SA-12, SA-33 and SA-43
And some more coming in the summer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back