1964 Ears V3 Amp, $300
Nov 3, 2012 at 1:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

FatmanSize48

1000+ Head-Fier
Hello-I've decided on a pair of 1964 Ears V3s and have heard that they greatly benefit from having an amp (of course). Now, the question is exactly how much I ought to spend. I have allotted a $300 budget for an amp, but feel as if it may not be necessary to spend all of it. So far I've seen the likes of the JDS Labs CMoy and C421 as likely candidates. But...I'm here for help from you guys. I'll be pairing the CIEMS and amp with an iPhone 5 and iPod Classic 160 GB. 

Nov 3, 2012 at 2:27 PM Post #2 of 11
I've had my eye on the c421 for a while.
I don't own the V3s, but I do have the 1964-Ds and pair them with an iBasso D-Zero. They sound great...

Nov 4, 2012 at 10:25 AM Post #4 of 11
1. Would the 1964 Ds be the equivalent of a V3 these days? If not, how would you describe the Ds?

2. I am looking for just an amp-if I have my laptop, I can use a DAC I already have, so a DAC section, unless it has that special chip that allows it to be used with iDevices, would be redundant. But thanks for the two suggestions-If I didn't already have a DAC, I would definitely buy the Leckerton. :)

Nov 4, 2012 at 4:21 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Would the 1964 Ds be the equivalent of a V3 these days? Moving on.

You asked for suggestions... Just trying to help.
rolleyes.gif

Good luck on you search...

Nov 4, 2012 at 4:41 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Would the 1964 Ds be the equivalent of a V3 these days? Moving on.

Really? This was very rude and uncalled for. I wish you luck in finding someone who's even willing to help you with that kind of attitude.

Nov 4, 2012 at 11:00 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:
You asked for suggestions... Just trying to help.
rolleyes.gif

Good luck on you search...

Quote:

Really? This was very rude and uncalled for. I wish you luck in finding someone who's even willing to help you with that kind of attitude.

Guys, what do you mean by rude and uncalled for? I did not mean to be rude at all, and am sorry if I came across that way. I thought I'd just write that post right before going to bed, turns out it wasn't the best idea. RingingEars, how are your 1964 Ds with the iBasso? Do you notice a HUGE difference amped and unamped? People have said that they improve, but not to what degree. CCS: I've read my post, and realized how it may have come across. I certainly wasn't thinking when I made that post and I apologize for any ill feelings you may have.

Nov 4, 2012 at 11:05 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Guys, what do you mean by rude and uncalled for? I did not mean to be rude at all, and am sorry if I came across that way. I thought I'd just write that post right before going to bed, turns out it wasn't the best idea. RingingEars, how are your 1964 Ds with the iBasso? Do you notice a HUGE difference amped and unamped? People have said that they improve, but not to what degree. CCS: I've read my post, and realized how it may have come across. I certainly wasn't thinking when I made that post and I apologize for any ill feelings you may have.

I appreciate that. And now that this is behind us, I'll hope that you get some good suggestions. Personally, I do not have any 1964 Ears IEMs. In the case of the V3, what source are you currently using and what is the impedance and sensitivity of the V3?

Nov 4, 2012 at 11:15 PM Post #9 of 11
I think I would be using an iPod Classic as my source, as this will be my mobile setup. I checked the site and the V3s are rated at 16 ohms and 119 dB sensitivity-So I guess I'd need a pretty low impedance amp, right?

Nov 4, 2012 at 11:44 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:
I think I would be using an iPod Classic as my source, as this will be my mobile setup. I checked the site and the V3s are rated at 16 ohms and 119 dB sensitivity-So I guess I'd need a pretty low impedance amp, right?

Yes, you'll want an amplifier with a low output impedance, especially since you're using a multi-BA IEM with crossovers, so make that your first criteria. And those are very sensitive, so you really don't want anything with a whole lot of power. To be honest, the only difference and amp should make is to stop the output impedance of the Classic from affecting the frequency response of the IEMs. Because the impedance of the IEMs is only referenced at a single point and can vary a lot, it's hard to tell how great this difference will be. It can be anything from subtle to quite significant. Personally, I use the Objective 2 with pretty much everything since it can do IEMs and full-size headphones very easily. If you're looking for something small, you'll want suggestions from another user. Maybe a Fiio E17 if you want something affordable? Fiio portables tend to have very low output impedance, so that's something to consider.

Nov 5, 2012 at 12:35 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

It's cool. I may have just taken it the wrong way. Sometimes the meaning or point seems to get lost over the internet.
The Ds sound great with the D-Zero. It really tightens up the bass. I wouldn't say it's a huge difference, but does add quite a bit of body to the bass.
With that said I would love to try a c421.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back