1964 Ears Adel IEMs
Apr 28, 2017 at 1:30 PM Post #8,701 of 9,124
Well I haven't listened to my U12 much recently, been getting accustomed to the XRA. After returning to the U12 I must say it is as if I need to re-acclimate myself all over. It is so deep and dark again.:triportsad:

I initially found the U12 too bassy, specially with the standard S1 modules. This is no longer the case after discovering the non-plus version of ALO Audio's The International DAC/Amp, which according to @vitaliy belo himself, was involved in the U12 tuning.

I'm not sure what the output impedance of this amp is, but it might be close to 20 ohm because I can achieve a similar bass response reduction if I attach this 20 ohm adapter to my Cavalli Audio Liquid Carbon which features a very low output impedance (~0.08 ohm single-ended).

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2017 at 1:53 PM Post #8,702 of 9,124
Even A12 and A18 are totally different.

Absolutely! U18, in comparison to U12, is not just a showcase of what you achieve with 6 additional drivers (though, one of the new drivers is TIA), but it's completely re-designed and differently tuned beast.

May 1, 2017 at 7:52 PM Post #8,704 of 9,124
What is the best cable for U12?

I tried to search in the forum but I could't find it in this new design.

I find the A12 is so warm and dark that cable swapping is less noticeable on A12-especially with ADEL, less so with apex but still not very noticeable. I tried the THOR II from effect audio and the Linum Super BAX. On A18 the changes are much more noticeable. My reviews for these 2 cables will be up soon and they will have A12 sections so keep an eye out.

May 1, 2017 at 8:22 PM Post #8,705 of 9,124
@justrest owing to the darker nature of A12, a silver cable might do the trick. I didn't cable roll much with mine but Norne Therium was good. The sound is more immediate, and detail is better heard.

May 1, 2017 at 8:54 PM Post #8,706 of 9,124
What is the best cable for U12?

I tried to search in the forum but I could't find it in this new design.

Back when I reviewed U12, a little over a year ago (here), I had a section dedicated to cable rolling with BaX, TWag, TWau, etc. Even though I preferred TWau out of the bunch, later I have tested it with other cables (including from Effect Audio, Whiplash, PLUSSOUND, HAN Sound, PWA), but now I keep coming back to ALO Ref8 which in my humble opinion has a great pair up synergy with U12 and a reasonable pricing in comparison to some other flagship cables.

May 2, 2017 at 12:19 AM Post #8,707 of 9,124
I find the A12 is so warm and dark that cable swapping is less noticeable on A12-especially with ADEL, less so with apex but still not very noticeable. I tried the THOR II from effect audio and the Linum Super BAX. On A18 the changes are much more noticeable. My reviews for these 2 cables will be up soon and they will have A12 sections so keep an eye out.

Thank you for your answer. I've EROS Hybrid cable, and I will try it when I receive my U12. I think silver cable is much better synergy than the copper or hybrid cable. I am waiting your review.

@justrest owing to the darker nature of A12, a silver cable might do the trick. I didn't cable roll much with mine but Norne Therium was good. The sound is more immediate, and detail is better heard.

I am thinking to buy Thor, Plussound Echo Silver or DHC Sym and now I'll add Norne Therium cable. Price range is very similar. Thank you.

Back when I reviewed U12, a little over a year ago (here), I had a section dedicated to cable rolling with BaX, TWag, TWau, etc. Even though I preferred TWau out of the bunch, later I have tested it with other cables (including from Effect Audio, Whiplash, PLUSSOUND, HAN Sound, PWA), but now I keep coming back to ALO Ref8 which in my humble opinion has a great pair up synergy with U12 and a reasonable pricing in comparison to some other flagship cables.

I've read your review, really great thank you. I thought the silver cable would be better with U12 but I'll consider Ref8 SPC also.

May 2, 2017 at 12:47 AM Post #8,708 of 9,124

I've read your review, really great thank you. I thought the silver cable would be better with U12 but I'll consider Ref8 SPC also.

Not all the silver cables are created equally and sometimes pair up is unpredictable on paper, until you hear it with a particular set of IEMs and your own ears :wink: You can get great pair up with more expensive cables, and of course it's all a matter of personal taste/preference under a subjective opinion. Ken's Ref8 cable is actually hybrid with 4 pure copper and 4 spc conductors, creates a nice balance of clarity and resolution with more energy in upper frequencies while still keeping bass tight and articulate.

May 2, 2017 at 6:39 AM Post #8,709 of 9,124
I second the Ref8. It adds more air and clarity than anything else I've tried, including pure silver Litz.

May 2, 2017 at 11:45 PM Post #8,710 of 9,124
So my long awaited AAW custom eartips just arrived yesterday and here I snap a few photos:

Photo-2017-05-02-16-20-18_0523.JPG

The eartips came with an IEM case, cleaning cloth and brush, along with warranty card and their CIEM lineup brochure.

Photo-2017-05-03-07-16-11_0520.JPG

The eartips itself is not as long as the U12 nozzle, but it grip the nozzle firmly. In fact, the eartips hole is a bit less in diameter compared to U12 nozzle (I asked for 5mm one), but it is flexible enough to stretch.

Photo-2017-05-03-07-23-04_0518.JPG

Notice something in the image above? I loved how the transparent silicon actually magnified the "12" on the U12 nozzle. :wink:

It seems the eartips only cover the first bend. It works great on my ear, giving me a consistent isolation between left and right ear (something I struggled a lot with generic eartips). One thing to note, it is a bit confusing at first to figure out where is facing up or down, so there is a bit of trial and error there. As I never wear a CIEM before, it is a bit difficult for me at first, but forcing it a bit along with some twist motion, allow it to fit firmly on my ear. And it does sit quite comfortably there. :)

The effect to sound, is not significant thanksfully. I noticed a slight increase in bass area and reduced treble, but that is very slight, definitely not as much as a foam tips. It still sounds like a silicon eartips.

Overall, I can recommend this. It is also quite cheap at S$119 and I can change IEM as long as it features the same nozzle diameter. That said, my friend that order this at the same time as me, had a less luck with it. His right ear is more straight in the first bend, so the eartips ended up mostly straight and he can't get decent seal. So note that while my experience is good, YMMV.

Also some bonus, eartips I have collected to find the perfect fit (spoiler: none is perfect to me):

Photo-2017-05-03-07-34-43_0522.JPG

My best recommendation for this whole lot is the Final eartips I got for free at CanJam (left bottom, one side with pink color), with Spinfit as the close second. :D For double flange, my favorite is the Fitear (top right), with Spinfit Twinblade taking a close second. Finally for foam, I like Dekoni Bulletz the most, much more so than Comply.

Photo-2017-05-03-07-40-01_0517.JPG

Hopefully this marks the end of my eartips collection. :D

May 4, 2017 at 11:01 AM Post #8,712 of 9,124
I go back and forth with spin fits and the foams included with the Vega. I think I've finally settled on the spin fits as the comfort level is far superior; however, I'm not opposed to the customs.....we'll see.

May 4, 2017 at 1:34 PM Post #8,713 of 9,124
I have ordered a pair of custom eartips for my se846 before and indeed it fits quite well. However, I ditched them after I tried spinfit. Those custom eartips make my se846 exposed in the air instead of sitting in my ears and they sound dull.

I was like discovering the true strength of se846 when i get back to use normal eartips instead. It seems custom eartips experience vary for different people.

May 4, 2017 at 6:25 PM Post #8,714 of 9,124
I think the one for SE846 (sensaphonic?) might be the one that fully cover the concha area, this one is only for the inner ear similar to regular eartips. So it still wears a lot like universal and didn't push the IEM outward too much. I guess it won't grip as firmly as full custom tips though.

May 5, 2017 at 4:04 PM Post #8,715 of 9,124
Been away from head-fi and audio for a bit. Noticed a new module from Asius, the O1? Anyone have any experience with them they could share? If they keep or do away with the benefits of ADEL is what I'm mainly concerned with. Currently have the G1 in my U8.

Also, the new site seems to have cleared my reading progress from where I left off on all my subbed threads.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back