1964 Ears Adel IEMs
Apr 21, 2017 at 1:08 AM Post #8,686 of 9,124
IMO U12/A12 is one of the most musical and smooth IEMs at the TOTL level. I have tried a lot of IEMs in the 1-2k price range and none of them come close to the sheer musicality of the A12.
It almost reaches LCD 3 levels of musicality.

Sure there are more precise IEMs than the U12/A12 but you will be hard pressed to find a more musical IEM below 2k

Athena

Apr 21, 2017 at 6:42 AM Post #8,687 of 9,124
I'm more than happy to sacrifice some musicality for precision and speed. It's what i love about K612 it's a good balance.

Noble Kaiser Encore. This is your destiny. It celebrates Metal like nothing I've heard.

Apr 21, 2017 at 6:56 AM Post #8,688 of 9,124
Noble Kaiser Encore. This is your destiny. It celebrates Metal like nothing I've heard.

Your review sounded as if they would be good at metal. Of course I can throw a new one in the mix...XRA. 

Apr 21, 2017 at 9:09 AM Post #8,691 of 9,124
Lol i wish had the money dude, if i win the lottery one day!

Sorry i should have explained (all models from U/A2 through to U/A12 featuring Apex not just the modules themselfs)

There is a few excellent full comparisons of all Empire Ears models but im more interested in 64 because of the smaller shells.

Im after a specific signature, surgically precise yet smooth and musical.

Thats literally A18-precise, smooth and musical. Go back a pge and read my review.

Apr 21, 2017 at 9:18 AM Post #8,692 of 9,124
@Ike1985
 might be able to help you as he listens to a lot of metal. 
I don't listen to metal but U12/A12 is also one of the slowest monitors around. The Treble is also as opposite of sparkly as you can get at this level, it's very well extended though. I EQ to extract more Treble. Also Soundstage width is one of the widest too imo.

Yes I am a huge metal head. The A18 and A12 are not actually faster or slower than each other, we're talking speed of electricity here, but the signature can make one sound faster or slower. The A12 has an elevated low end and recessed highs and upper mids. This reduces precision in-stage and detail as well. I find the A18 to be plenty musical-retaining the 64 Audio warm musical signature(just enough warmth on A18 to make it musical)+ via slightly elevated sub bass balanced with sparkly highs and detailed upper mids. This creates a pin point sound vs the A12, it's way easier to tell where a sound is coming from and where it starts/stops on A18 and you can follow that textured decay all the way to the end, especially in the highs. The A12 does sound slow, the A18 does sound faster and handles fast music way better, both are musical and flow. The A18 review is in my signature. I haven't heard A10 or Tia Forte but as far as A12 vs A18 for FAST Ametal, forget A12. A12 can sound epic with doom/stoner metal like Dopethrone, Kinglord, Beastwars, Elephant Tree, Keef and High Priest and also hars rock Like Egypt, Mississippi Bones, Hunt The Witch, 100 watt Vipers, etc. Always take advantage of a chance to plug metal bands! :rofl:

Apr 21, 2017 at 9:48 AM Post #8,693 of 9,124
Yeah i will go to a bit more detail but i want to mention i cant go past the A12 price as it would be too expensive for me and getting an A10/A12 would take a year or maybe 13 months of saving so I'm starting planning now.

Like i said about the sound, i need it to have some kind of pressure module because i cant listen to standard iems for more than an hour because of pounding ear drum fatigue, So the airier the better.

Signature; fast, clean, textured bass.
Open, clear and non recessed mid range. Detailed sparkly highs that are unfatiguing and smooth but not boring.

I prefer balanced sound rather than V shape.

Your description of A18 sounds excellent for me tastes but too much money. A12 sounds too bassy, slow and lush. So A10 sounds like the younger brother of A18.

I really wish i could try the full range of iems out because for all i know the A3 could be my perfect iem for example i just wouldn't know it.

Most iems sound too congested with metal so it's a frustrating journey.

Apr 28, 2017 at 6:32 AM Post #8,697 of 9,124
Well I haven't listened to my U12 much recently, been getting accustomed to the XRA. After returning to the U12 I must say it is as if I need to re-acclimate myself all over. It is so deep and dark again.:triportsad:

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2017 at 8:24 AM Post #8,698 of 9,124
Well I haven't listened to my U12 much recently, been getting accustomed to the XRA. After returning to the U12 I must say it is as if I need to re-acclimate myself all over. It is so deep and dark again.:triportsad:

Two very different signatures, targeted at different people based on their sound preference :ksc75smile: Going from one to another for sure requires adjustment, and because of the difference I don't even understand why people sometimes want to compare them, and draw the conclusion if one is better than the other. If anything, they complement each other, and definitely don't compete. :beerchug:

Apr 28, 2017 at 8:36 AM Post #8,699 of 9,124
Two very different signatures, targeted at different people based on their sound preference :ksc75smile: Going from one to another for sure requires adjustment, and because of the difference I don't even understand why people sometimes want to compare them, and draw the conclusion if one is better than the other. If anything, they complement each other, and definitely don't compete. :beerchug:
Well I certainly wasn't comparing them. I just had a flashback to when I first listened to my U12 and the big adjustment period I had. Two different sides of the scale, however they are both TOTL worthy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back