1964 Ears Adel IEMs
May 16, 2016 at 12:02 PM Post #5,221 of 9,124
The acrylic housing of my a12 got broken by accident. I guess the warranty does not cover that. I have to send it in to have it re-mold. Wonder how much it gonna cost me
frown.gif

Contact customer service and see what can get worked out. I've seen far worse than death by vacuum, come through the RMAs. 

Support@64Audio.com 

Or you can call the lab directly for the quickest results,

1. 503-746-8510

May 16, 2016 at 12:34 PM Post #5,222 of 9,124
I have a new Mojo, and want an equally great pair of CIEM's to use with it. So, I am trying to decide which pair I want to invest in based on reviews, and recommendations. Wondering whether to go fully custom by having them made exactly for my ear canals, or if there is just as comfortable universals out there in flagship, or top of the line audiophile brands like 64 Audio, Astell&Kern, JH Audio, etc. I want something that is balanced with an open soundstage, decent bass that is not overpowering over the mids & highs, because I also like very clear vocals, and precise sounding instrumentals in the various types of music I listen to.

May 16, 2016 at 12:55 PM Post #5,223 of 9,124
  I have a new Mojo, and want an equally great pair of CIEM's to use with it. So, I am trying to decide which pair I want to invest in based on reviews, and recommendations. Wondering whether to go fully custom by having them made exactly for my ear canals, or if there is just as comfortable universals out there in flagship, or top of the line audiophile brands like 64 Audio, Astell&Kern, JH Audio, etc. I want something that is balanced with an open soundstage, decent bass that is not overpowering over the mids & highs, because I also like very clear vocals, and precise sounding instrumentals in the various types of music I listen to.

Since I don't know about your previous experience with other IEMs/CIEMs, based on the fact that you are referring to other brand names rather than specific models from those companies, I'm just going to take a wild guess that you are at the starting point of this journey (and if so, sorry about your wallet
biggrin.gif
).  Under that assumption, do NOT start with Customs.  You are not even sure which one going to hit your sweet preference spot, so what are you going to do after spending a grand on CIEM which you don't like?  At least with universal you can sell it to recover some cost, but with custom fit it won't be that easy.  Universal fit could be as comfortable with a right selection of eartips.  Regarding 64 Audio models, I think you will be happy with U6, and if you want a decent bass you can even stick with S1 module, and can always get B1 later to balance out the sound.  With other brands, every manufacturer has their own interpretation of "balanced sound with open soundstage" so they will vary to a certain degree.  Reading reviews will help you to narrow it down to a few final choices, but the final decision of which one is the best will be entirely up to your ears, and often we don't have access to try them all to see which one you prefer (I'm taking myself out of "we" because I get a chance to test many different headphones, but what I prefer might not be your cup of tea).  And that takes me back to my original point where going with a Custom fit might be a gamble, unless you tried universal version of the same model and certain about the sound.

Just my 2 cents.

May 16, 2016 at 2:07 PM Post #5,224 of 9,124
I would definitely call myself a noob when it comes to audiophile personal audio gear! I know exactly what I want, and the brands to buy for car audio. That education was very unfriendly to my wallet, but after multiple amps, speakers, subs, and head units I am pretty set on my car audio system. At least until I hear something new, and amazing! Lol.
I have never believed in an "End Game" product in any product's category. Apple, Samsung, and every other manufacturer in the mobile phone and tablet  sector have proven the point that consumers are always willing to pay $$$'s for the supposed newest & greatest almost every year. That is why not buying CIEM yet, and taking the universal route until I really know what my ears like is very sound advice! I would bet that even though you get to test a lot of different phones you have yet to find your "End Game" product that you are forever satisfied with, and feel no need to ever buy another pair again? I guess that is why eBay, and Craigslist are as successful as they are! Lol.
Thanks.

May 16, 2016 at 3:25 PM Post #5,225 of 9,124
  I would definitely call myself a noob when it comes to audiophile personal audio gear! I know exactly what I want, and the brands to buy for car audio. That education was very unfriendly to my wallet, but after multiple amps, speakers, subs, and head units I am pretty set on my car audio system. At least until I hear something new, and amazing! Lol.
I have never believed in an "End Game" product in any product's category. Apple, Samsung, and every other manufacturer in the mobile phone and tablet  sector have proven the point that consumers are always willing to pay $$$'s for the supposed newest & greatest almost every year. That is why not buying CIEM yet, and taking the universal route until I really know what my ears like is very sound advice! I would bet that even though you get to test a lot of different phones you have yet to find your "End Game" product that you are forever satisfied with, and feel no need to ever buy another pair again? I guess that is why eBay, and Craigslist are as successful as they are! Lol.
Thanks.

I think Twister is probably right and you should probably listen to him, but I took a different approach.  I wanted to get the top of the line at the time and never look back.  Why?  Because this strategy has actually saved me money as I've mostly been right using it over time-meaning I really liked what I got and was content and didn't need to buy anything else later.  I wanted to avoid spending on lesser models overtime and go straight to the top right off the bat.  The only exception to this rule was the Chord Mojo which provides the quality seen at much higher price points but at the price of lower-mid quality products.  Previously the most expensive headphones I'd ever bought were a pair of re-zero's or re-0's, can't remember which but they were ~$100.  I went custom with my A12's because I enjoy things made just for me, although sometimes I wish I could share with my wife but then again universals when shared will sound different to her even with the same tips given the varying ear anatomy-yet another reason for custom since you are more likely to get the sound intended by the maker since it's such an excellent seal.  There are trade-off's though, you may have fit issues.  Overtime as the CIEM market matured, these fit issues became less common with the advent of 3D printing.  If you do go custom, make sure you get the impressions done correctly by someone who has made them many times before for CIEMs not just hearing aids, review procedures for proper impression taking and what proper impressions look like when completed.  Many ciem makers provide a list of suggested audiologists for impression taking. 

Let us know what you decide, Twister's advice is solid.  Oh and if you do go 64, I highly suggest you check out the various ADEL modules as they significantly alter the sound.

May 16, 2016 at 6:13 PM Post #5,226 of 9,124

Let us know what you decide, Twister's advice is solid.  Oh and if you do go 64, I highly suggest you check out the various ADEL modules as they significantly alter the sound.

As a 2.5 year user of 1964 Qi's for live audio (not what most on here focus on, I know) and a bass and guitar player.. I was really comfortable with them for live and "canned" music use.
As my band recently became 64 "artists", I upgraded to the A8's, based on the web site signatures.
After about 14 hrs worth of gig use and about 7 hrs of flight time, I'm come to the conclusion that the [auto] ADEL's really KILL the bass.
They CAN produce great distinct bass if I boost everything below 200Hz, and I can hear GREAT sub bass, but not with a flat un-EQ'd input signal.  I can hear the engine noise while flying, and when I put my finger on the ADEL's (kill the effect) then the bass returns.

I DO like bass heavy sound, but the stupid/silly amounts of bass the Qi's produced is not natively there in the A8's. I often had to REDUCE the bass levels in the Qi's but with the A8's, I'm having to BOOST it to get similar responses.

Any suggestions/recommendations on solution.. eg: MAM's, etc..would be appreciated.
Please NOTE my primary use is live (stage) audio monitoring.
TIA 

May 16, 2016 at 8:19 PM Post #5,228 of 9,124
I'm sorry if this has been asked.
Anybody know when the adel MAM will be release?
Maybe I will get more isolation with MAM.
I can still hear the engine sound while on air plane with my a12.
Thanks.

The S1 module is supposed to be near-total isolation.

And even with that you can hear a bit of muffled background noise.

May 16, 2016 at 9:35 PM Post #5,230 of 9,124

As a 2.5 year user of 1964 Qi's for live audio (not what most on here focus on, I know) and a bass and guitar player.. I was really comfortable with them for live and "canned" music use.
As my band recently became 64 "artists", I upgraded to the A8's, based on the web site signatures.
After about 14 hrs worth of gig use and about 7 hrs of flight time, I'm come to the conclusion that the [auto] ADEL's really KILL the bass.
They CAN produce great distinct bass if I boost everything below 200Hz, and I can hear GREAT sub bass, but not with a flat un-EQ'd input signal.  I can hear the engine noise while flying, and when I put my finger on the ADEL's (kill the effect) then the bass returns.

I DO like bass heavy sound, but the stupid/silly amounts of bass the Qi's produced is not natively there in the A8's. I often had to REDUCE the bass levels in the Qi's but with the A8's, I'm having to BOOST it to get similar responses.

You may have identified the reason why I do not think the A8 + auto module is a basshead iem. Thanks for your observations.

May 16, 2016 at 11:34 PM Post #5,232 of 9,124
  Thanks.. but I'm looking for potential solutions...
bigsmile_face.gif

You might want to try the MAMs. They will give you a little more bass quantity if you close them all the way. I'm a drummer and FOH engineer for a couple bands and when playing I like more bass than when mixing. So I use my U8s to play live and my V6 Stages and another pair from another manufacturer when mixing. When playing, two things I always have in my mix are kick and the bass, cause I like to feel it when playing. I find the U8s to have a very nice low end and actually recommend them to drummers and bass players. 

It seems that you haven't been using yours for too long. I would get use to them first, listen to music in quite environments and get used to their sound and if there is something you don't' like, you could ask your sound man to crank them up. These have a nice mid bass hump, that I find bass players like, but depending on what type of music you play,  you may only need to eq the lower spectrum to get you more sub frequencies. In my case, when I first got mine, I wasn't too impressed and like yourself thought that they were bass light. But when I got used to the changes that ADEL brings, and the IEM tuning, I really fell in love with them and now I find myself tuning the bass down, despite loving my good bass. 

May 17, 2016 at 12:55 AM Post #5,233 of 9,124
I'm sorry if this has been asked.
Anybody know when the adel MAM will be release?
Maybe I will get more isolation with MAM.
I can still hear the engine sound while on air plane with my a12.
Thanks.

We have about 40 more pairs of MAMs getting shipped out to kickstarter backers tomorrow and *fingers crossed* we will be done with kickstarter. We're waiting on the shipment of colored O-rings for left/right sides to come in at the tail end of this month. We're looking at mid June to have the MAMs on the website.

We probably would have been a bit quicker getting all the MAMs out the door but with all this Brian Johnson & Paul Stanley attention, our phones have been ringing off the hook and we've been flooded with emails. It's slowed the process down a bit as you might imagine.

May 17, 2016 at 5:01 AM Post #5,234 of 9,124
Thanks.

being a car audio guy myself its hard to recommend unless syo try out some universal models. I was looking for something FOCAL sounding prior to selecting the A6s as I have the focal utopia line in my car...If you like focal like sound I would recommend Jomo 6Rs

I believe based on the reviews the A6s would be more of Flux MC Comp set....I can't wait to get mine in a few weeks.

May 17, 2016 at 3:25 PM Post #5,235 of 9,124
Observation today: With my A12's female vocals sound much more present/thicker with B1 than S1. Perhaps they're less overpowered by that mid bass bump the S1 creates. Male vocals continue to sound great as they always have on A12 regardless of module.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back