1964 Ears Adel IEMs
May 13, 2016 at 12:03 PM Post #5,191 of 9,124
  As an ENT physician and audiophile, I have to say ADEL at heart is a modified vent. I think if you were to graph the effect of the different modules on a graph, it will dampen certain frequencies to different degree. To understand vent in a traditional hearing aid read this article http://www.hearingreview.com/2006/02/fitting-tips-how-do-vents-affect-hearing-aid-performance/​. Look at Figure 2. When you create a vent hole or any dampening affect on the IEM side, it always drops the low frequency first.  The larger the hole the more you dampen the low freq, the more compliant the diaphragm is as in the ADEL modules, the more you dampen the low freq. The physics and anatomy are such that you cannot electively dampen the high frequency first. The whole thing with more soundstaging and 3D imaging is just marketing. I wish sometimes  manufacturers can be more transparent about this. If you ever get a custom sleeve made for IEM and ask them to leave a large vent hole on the custom sleeve, you can get different size plugs for the vent hole. By dampening the low-frequency, it will create the sense of more wide open sound stage. I have had 2 made by Westone for IE80 and XBA-Z5.

I still think what 1964 Ears is doing is an excellent idea. Other manufacturers should have done this a long time ago, but it's not some novel, revolutionary technology. It's a good adaptation of a long existing understanding of how the ear canal transfers sound. Whether it's worth the extra $ it's all up to the end users. The A12 is on my list as one of the next CIEM choices.

Just want to chime in with a few comments.  First of all, looking forward to your impression when you get A12 and spend some time with it.  I absolutely agree, there are articles and measurements, but certain things are better to be experienced with our own ears to draw the final conclusion
wink.gif

Regarding "extra $", that is a beauty of A-/U-series monitors from 64 Audio.  They are priced very competitively, and with periodic 10%-15% discounts can be even cheaper than some other multi-BA iems/ciems competition.  So in reality, they are not exactly capitalizing on "ADEL" by charging extra money for it, but rather charging as much as other brands and using ADEL technology to attract new customers to discover 64 Audio.  As I mentioned in my U12/A12 review, 64 Audio (1964 Ears) existed before ADEL tech and were already an established name with a fanbase.  IMHO, it's not about ADEL making these monitors sound better, the sound credit goes to 64 audio design and tuning, but rather making listening experience more enjoyable and safer for extended use.  And in reality you don't really have to pay extra for it.

May 13, 2016 at 12:44 PM Post #5,192 of 9,124
  As an ENT physician and audiophile, I have to say ADEL at heart is a modified vent. I think if you were to graph the effect of the different modules on a graph, it will dampen certain frequencies to different degree. To understand vent in a traditional hearing aid read this article http://www.hearingreview.com/2006/02/fitting-tips-how-do-vents-affect-hearing-aid-performance/​. Look at Figure 2. When you create a vent hole or any dampening affect on the IEM side, it always drops the low frequency first.  The larger the hole the more you dampen the low freq, the more compliant the diaphragm is as in the ADEL modules, the more you dampen the low freq. The physics and anatomy are such that you cannot electively dampen the high frequency first. The whole thing with more soundstaging and 3D imaging is just marketing. I wish sometimes  manufacturers can be more transparent about this. If you ever get a custom sleeve made for IEM and ask them to leave a large vent hole on the custom sleeve, you can get different size plugs for the vent hole. By dampening the low-frequency, it will create the sense of more wide open sound stage. I have had 2 made by Westone for IE80 and XBA-Z5.

I still think what 1964 Ears is doing is an excellent idea. Other manufacturers should have done this a long time ago, but it's not some novel, revolutionary technology. It's a good adaptation of a long existing understanding of how the ear canal transfers sound. Whether it's worth the extra $ it's all up to the end users. The A12 is on my list as one of the next CIEM choices.

Yes all of what you're saying is true for vented IEMs, that is not what ADEL is. 

ADEL has a membrane that allows the pressure to pass through, while still keeping the bottom end and the mids in the proper place in the sound curve. This is something that has not been done before.

I encourage you to keep doing research through this very lengthy and active thread, as well as watch the SpreeCast Stephen did with Paul (Brooko) about 2 months ago, to get a firmer grasp on the technology.

If things still don't clear up for your understanding, then I can always arrange for you to Skype with Stephen himself once he's back at the lab at the end of next week. That way you can ask whatever you may desire and have it explained to you directly.

May 13, 2016 at 2:14 PM Post #5,193 of 9,124
Can anyone comment on how the A3 might would compare to the sound signature of the Vsonic GR-07 Bass Edition?

I really do love the sound character of my GR-07BE. I'm curious which of the A-series has a similar response.

May 13, 2016 at 9:10 PM Post #5,194 of 9,124
Yes all of what you're saying is true for vented IEMs, that is not what ADEL is. 

ADEL has a membrane that allows the pressure to pass through, while still keeping the bottom end and the mids in the proper place in the sound curve. This is something that has not been done before.

I encourage you to keep doing research through this very lengthy and active thread, as well as watch the SpreeCast Stephen did with Paul (Brooko) about 2 months ago, to get a firmer grasp on the technology.

If things still don't clear up for your understanding, then I can always arrange for you to Skype with Stephen himself once he's back at the lab at the end of next week. That way you can ask whatever you may desire and have it explained to you directly.

All technology is an adaptation of nature in some sense. Semantics doesnt make his point anymore valid. Neither does the fact that he felt he had to qualify it with "Im an ent".

I bet he doesnt take up the offer for an interview with Stephen Ambrose.

May 13, 2016 at 9:53 PM Post #5,195 of 9,124
Can anyone comment on what imlrovemwnts can be had by going balanced with my U6s? Ive got a Fiio X7 and im planning to buy the AM3 balanced module.

Thanks

May 13, 2016 at 10:04 PM Post #5,196 of 9,124
Can anyone comment on what imlrovemwnts can be had by going balanced with my U6s? Ive got a Fiio X7 and im planning to buy the AM3 balanced module.

Thanks

Hard to guess until we hear how FiiO implemented balanced output.  AM1 was just ok for me, I liked AM2 upgrade with a more mature fuller sound.  I don't have any demanding headphones, so AM5 felt to my ears as a scale up in power with a sound quality similar to AM2; I'm sure the difference was more drastic using 300 ohm or 600 ohm demanding cans.  But everybody implements balanced out differently.  I wasn't crazy about ak120ii, n5, paw5k balanced implementation, but enjoyed it a lot better with Opus#1.  Also, I spent very little time with production L3 (versus more testing of the L3 prototype which had a differently tuned balanced output which I really liked).  In theory, balanced should give you a better separation/imaging, higher power output, and cleaner sound, but it's not always the case.  So, it will be hard to guess how AM3 will sound.  Will wait and see, I guess.

May 13, 2016 at 10:14 PM Post #5,197 of 9,124
Hard to guess until we hear how FiiO implemented balanced output.  AM1 was just ok for me, I liked AM2 upgrade with a more mature fuller sound.  I don't have any demanding headphones, so AM5 felt to my ears as a scale up in power with a sound quality similar to AM2; I'm sure the difference was more drastic using 300 ohm or 600 ohm demanding cans.  But everybody implements balanced out differently.  I wasn't crazy about ak120ii, n5, paw5k balanced implementation, but enjoyed it a lot better with Opus#1.  Also, I spent very little time with production L3 (versus more testing of the L3 prototype which had a differently tuned balanced output which I really liked).  In theory, balanced should give you a better separation/imaging, higher power output, and cleaner sound, but it's not always the case.  So, it will be hard to guess how AM3 will sound.  Will wait and see, I guess.

Ah k. Thanks for that info. I presumed at the most itd improve the imaving and soundstage.

May 13, 2016 at 11:25 PM Post #5,198 of 9,124
Hey guys, just wanted to let you know that today was Stephen's bubble demo with Paul Stanley of KISS. It went extremely well.

Paul doesn't have an ear canal in one side, so I'm not sure where Stephen put the second bubble at this time. According to Stephen's brief phone call earlier tonight, Paul said the clarity & quality of the sound was like putting glasses on for the first time...only for his ears.

I know it was filmed and I'll post the video once it's available to me.

Brian Johnson's demo is scheduled for Wednesday!

May 13, 2016 at 11:47 PM Post #5,199 of 9,124
Any recommendations for a CIEM cleaning kit that doesn't cost a lot? I got some earwax accidentally pushed deep into mine. I managed to push it in with the tool that came with the A6, so it's not too far in, but just out of reach. Didn't want to start shoving things in there to make it worse. Was thinking maybe a sewing needle or a pin to get it out, unless there's a better recommendation. Don't want to spend $109 on the vacuum. 

Thanks!

May 13, 2016 at 11:50 PM Post #5,200 of 9,124
  Any recommendations for a CIEM cleaning kit that doesn't cost a lot? I got some earwax accidentally pushed deep into mine. I managed to push it in with the tool that came with the A6, so it's not too far in, but just out of reach. Didn't want to start shoving things in there to make it worse. Was thinking maybe a sewing needle or a pin to get it out, unless there's a better recommendation. Don't want to spend $109 on the vacuum. 

Thanks!

You best bet is to send it to 64's lab and have them clean it. It's cheap and won't take long to get them back to you. That way you don't risk damaging anything.

May 14, 2016 at 1:06 AM Post #5,202 of 9,124

Look, I'm not questioning ADEL line from SQ and price point. As matter of fact, it's priced really well compared to other CIEMs considering the additional  modules. I would love to chat with Stephen about the technology from an enthusiast's standpoint. My point is that ADEL is a intermediate between a fully open vent and no vent at all. It achieves what you are saying, not leaking the low range but still provide some openness to the sound. I'm just don't feel that it should be called a new technology. It should be appropriately called modification or adaption of an existing knowledge. There is also quotes about a Vanderbilt study about ADEL which I would like to know exactly which article it is.

My initial post is not to troll current or future owners of 1964 Ear products because I'll probably get one by the end of the year, but I think we need to maintain certain level of transparency and ethical standard while trying to market the product. That is all. I am totally supportive of innovative way of applying technology existing or novel to audio products.

May 14, 2016 at 2:31 AM Post #5,203 of 9,124

I can play a song that exhibits a wide sound stage over and over with my A12's, swapping modules between B1 and S1.  I can tell a difference between the apparent distance the sounds are coming from.  The S1 sounds like it's just outside my head, the B1 sounds probably 1.5"'s wider, this is not my imagination.  I don't know how it works but it does.

What do you think about the bubble they've developed?  As an ENT I would think it would be amazing as you don't have to tell patients with nerve damage that they can't hear anymore and that's that.  I'm assuming that's what happens now.

​I found the original abstract and study done by Ambrose with Vanderbilt. There is another very technical paper published about the balloon which is based on ADEL. http://www.hearingreview.com/2011/06/a-voice-activated-inflatable-self-regulating-balloon-ear-coupler/ The technical aspect of it is way more complex than the description on the 1964 Ears's ADEL page. I'm doing more research on it now. They are not easy reading material for Friday night. I need to spend more time on it and get back to you.

I also did a PubMed search. There has not been a single medical journal article about this yet, so the part about hearing protection is to be determined.

May 14, 2016 at 8:43 AM Post #5,204 of 9,124

​I found the original abstract and study done by Ambrose with Vanderbilt. There is another very technical paper published about the balloon which is based on ADEL. http://www.hearingreview.com/2011/06/a-voice-activated-inflatable-self-regulating-balloon-ear-coupler/ The technical aspect of it is way more complex than the description on the 1964 Ears's ADEL page. I'm doing more research on it now. They are not easy reading material for Friday night. I need to spend more time on it and get back to you.

I also did a PubMed search. There has not been a single medical journal article about this yet, so the part about hearing protection is to be determined.

Read the paper, fascinating.  I'll probably hold off on getting my wife the A12's and get her the bubble instead when it becomes available, I've got a year to wait anyway.  Plus I want to her the bubble too. =P

May 14, 2016 at 12:59 PM Post #5,205 of 9,124
Hey guys, we've got something else for you.
(Edge out the competition by showcasing your DAPs/DACs/Amps as well. That looks way better than IEMs plugged into your phone)

We at 64 Audio have been seeing so many great posts of our customers' custom designed IEMs, that we want to up the ante and really encourage you to show off & take pride in your designs!

We will be giving away a pair of the new ADEL B1 Modules to the person that submits our favorite photo showcasing their personal pair of 64 Audio IEMs! If your custom IEMs are minimalist in design, you're not out of the running, just be creative with your photo!

Vitaliy Belonozhko, the founder of 64 Audio, will select his favorites and the winner will have their photo shared across all of our social media platforms and receive a pair of the new ADEL B1 modules to go along with their 64 Audio IEMs.

The 3 runner up entries will also be shown off via social media.

To submit an entry, post a picture of your personal IEMs on your Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and use hashtag #myADELsduring the next 7 days. Make sure that you’re following @64audio! The give away ends May 19th, 11:59pm PST. Winner will be announced via social media on Friday May 20th.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back