1964 Ears Adel IEMs
Apr 7, 2016 at 9:08 PM Post #4,652 of 9,124
So I'm looking at getting an after market cable for my A12's. is there anything out there in the $100-$200 range? What are you all using?

Peterek does beautiful work, reasonably priced; See this thread.

Apr 7, 2016 at 10:46 PM Post #4,653 of 9,124
I got a chance to A/B between stock and therium today for the first time with the Fiio X7. I got to say it was obvious to detect the improvement the therium provided, with the stock cable the music sounded heavy, treble was restrained, but with the silver cable cymbals lasted longer and sounded more natural, imaging improved as well. For those on the fence trying to smooth out their U12, I do recommend paring it with a slightly bright source (X7) and a silver cable. I'm rethinking my decision to sell this now.

Apr 8, 2016 at 8:38 AM Post #4,654 of 9,124
Not posted anything here since I received my U8 a few weeks ago, so thought I'd share some thoughts. 

Just before I start I'd like to say that I actually wasn't in the market for a new pair of earphones. This only materialised when I transitioned from my tried and trusted ipod classic to Fiio X7. You guys know how it is - new improved gear, new cans/IEMS :)

My IEM of choice for last few years have been the Westone 4R, which have been good, but that veiled sound seemed to become more apparent once I started using the X7. After much deliberation on what to go for, I was pointed in the direction of 64Audio and after originally eyeing up the A8, I decided to just got for U8. I listen to a lot of electronic music, a lot of drum & bass, hiphop and rock.

First things first I was impressed by the speed it took between placing the order and receiving - 6 days to UK! Opening the box, I was impressed with the carry case - so much better than the one that came with my Westones especially as I had to buy 2 replacements due to breaking the flimsy plastic latch. This U8 case feels a lot more solid and I like the way there is also space for extras. The earphones also feel solid with a good weight to them. 

I was a bit dubious about buying the U8 in the first place. I love bass and clarity, but looking at the levels on the 64audio website, I was worried that the bass may overpower the mids/treble. Hawaiibadboy actually helped put me to ease about that prior to purchasing.

My initial impressions of the sound weren't great. I found the bass powerful, but flabby and lacking punch. I knew there would be an emphasis on bass, but not this much. I was using the small tips, but then deiced to try out the medium ones. Jackpot. Probably obvious, but a good seal with any IEM is essential and these are no different. Not sure why overlooked this at the start. Maybe so excited to play with my new toy.

A proper seal made all the difference. The bass tightened up with a really nice punch. Bass extension is great. Prior to these the only other bassy IEMs I have owned are the Future Sonics MG7. They're good, but these are a different beast. Bass so thick, deep and textured. On songs like Angel Duster by Run The Jewels, the bass packs so much slam - it's almost like a sledgehammer upside your head.

It's not just about the bass though. the mids and highs are crystal clear and are not overpowered by the bass. As I said I love clarity and detail in sound and certainly wouldnt be happy if these were drowned out by the bass. 

Anyway I didn't intend this to be so long, so I'll stop here. Overall I'm overjoyed with my purchase of U8. Just need to get round to EQing them this weekend. 

Apr 8, 2016 at 2:11 PM Post #4,656 of 9,124
  Not posted anything here since I received my U8 a few weeks ago, so thought I'd share some thoughts. 

Just before I start I'd like to say that I actually wasn't in the market for a new pair of earphones. This only materialised when I transitioned from my tried and trusted ipod classic to Fiio X7. You guys know how it is - new improved gear, new cans/IEMS :)

My IEM of choice for last few years have been the Westone 4R, which have been good, but that veiled sound seemed to become more apparent once I started using the X7. After much deliberation on what to go for, I was pointed in the direction of 64Audio and after originally eyeing up the A8, I decided to just got for U8. I listen to a lot of electronic music, a lot of drum & bass, hiphop and rock.

First things first I was impressed by the speed it took between placing the order and receiving - 6 days to UK! Opening the box, I was impressed with the carry case - so much better than the one that came with my Westones especially as I had to buy 2 replacements due to breaking the flimsy plastic latch. This U8 case feels a lot more solid and I like the way there is also space for extras. The earphones also feel solid with a good weight to them. 

I was a bit dubious about buying the U8 in the first place. I love bass and clarity, but looking at the levels on the 64audio website, I was worried that the bass may overpower the mids/treble. Hawaiibadboy actually helped put me to ease about that prior to purchasing.

My initial impressions of the sound weren't great. I found the bass powerful, but flabby and lacking punch. I knew there would be an emphasis on bass, but not this much. I was using the small tips, but then deiced to try out the medium ones. Jackpot. Probably obvious, but a good seal with any IEM is essential and these are no different. Not sure why overlooked this at the start. Maybe so excited to play with my new toy.

A proper seal made all the difference. The bass tightened up with a really nice punch. Bass extension is great. Prior to these the only other bassy IEMs I have owned are the Future Sonics MG7. They're good, but these are a different beast. Bass so thick, deep and textured. On songs like Angel Duster by Run The Jewels, the bass packs so much slam - it's almost like a sledgehammer upside your head.

It's not just about the bass though. the mids and highs are crystal clear and are not overpowered by the bass. As I said I love clarity and detail in sound and certainly wouldnt be happy if these were drowned out by the bass. 

Anyway I didn't intend this to be so long, so I'll stop here. Overall I'm overjoyed with my purchase of U8. Just need to get round to EQing them this weekend. 

The seal is the exact reason why I went with the A8 Custom.  I always don't like Universal iems cause of the silicone tips don't seal properly, and if you don't seal properly, the sound will not be what the iem is intended to be.

Apr 8, 2016 at 2:19 PM Post #4,657 of 9,124

The seal is the exact reason why I went with the A8 Custom.  I always don't like Universal iems cause of the silicone tips don't seal properly, and if you don't seal properly, the sound will not be what the iem is intended to be.

I suppose the spreecast in 3 hrs time will provide insights on how the existing U-series ADELs can be fitted with the inflatable bubble (active ADEL). That could be a game changer for those dealing with seal issues. 

Apr 8, 2016 at 2:36 PM Post #4,658 of 9,124
  I suppose the spreecast in 3 hrs time will provide insights on how the existing U-series ADELs can be fitted with the inflatable bubble (active ADEL). That could be a game changer for those dealing with seal issues. 

It is on the agenda of questions. Eldss has specifically requested this be talked about. While it's incredibly comfortable and very difficult to break the seal by moving your jaw around, it also really adds to the sound delivery. 

Apr 8, 2016 at 4:53 PM Post #4,659 of 9,124

Yeah I was originally looking at those, but budget played a big part in my purchase. Even with the U8 I was still about £250 over what I originally intended to spend. 

Apr 8, 2016 at 6:36 PM Post #4,661 of 9,124
64 Audio U10 and U12 Brief Impressions:

I have had the U10 and U12 for close to 2 days. I received these IEMs for demo through 64Audio's demo program so that I can decide if I wanted to go with the A10 or the A12. I understand that it is not ideal to write impressions based on this brief listening time. But I am trying to return these demo units as soon as possible.

INTRO:
I currently own a set of Sennheiser IE80. It has a Tape-Mod. IE80’s sound has a bass bump in the mid-bass and upper-bass range, which results in a veiled sound. Tape-Mod is a simple DIY modification, where you apply a piece of Tape over the Bass Adjustment Knob on the Faceplate of the IE80. This results in balancing out the bass and helps bring the mids slightly forward.

The IE80 works very well for me in most aspects, except for the recessed mids, occasional excessive warmth and lack of instrument separation. I was looking for an upgrade and I purchased a set of Earsonics Velvets a few months back. It was a great IEM but the punchy bass and the splashy treble caused fatigue. It was the Velvets that made me feel the pneumatic pressure in my ears. The fit was not comfortable either.

So I made my mind up and decided to take the Custom route. Initially I was in the $800 range and was looking into some non-ADEL IEMs until Kaye23 brought the ADEL IEMs to my attention. Then I was thinking of getting the A6. But I started to read more impressions and reviews on the A12, that I decided to go all in and get the A12. Then I came across reports that the A12 had an overdone bass. So I started considering the A10. I contacted 64 Audio and put my name down on the list for demo units.

SOURCE: Fiio X3ii
MUSIC: Multiple Genre
EARTIPS: JVC Spiral Dots

U10 & U12:
A few weeks back, I remember reading HiFiChris’s description on Oriveti Primacy. He called its sound ‘Unexciting’. Typically that adjective would carry a negative connotation. But he used it to compliment the IEM. And that is exactly how I would describe the U10 and U12 as well. Unexciting. But give it some time and you would understand what I mean.

Both U10 and U12 are smooth, lush and airy IEMs. The soundstage size is pretty wide, but the depth is not great. Because of the air, these may not come off as detail monsters. It takes a while to start pick up the extra details amidst this air, as the sound feels laid-back. If you are someone who prefers an upfront or intimate sound, you may want to look elsewhere. Regarding transparency and instrument separation and layering, I did not find it to be a massive leap over the IE80. I was almost about to give up on these and stick with my IE80. Then I realized we have another variable in our equation: The ADEL Module.

I felt my ears' anatomy were not allowing the Auto ADEL Modules to function effectively. So I tried something. I pulled the module half way out, so that it was only half way inserted into the IEM’s housing. After I did this, I was starting to sense some better layering and separation and a slightly better soundstage. But all these perceived improvement which were subtle, could very well be just a placebo effect. I just hope it’s not a placebo effect as I am hoping to achieve/recreate all these effects using a MAM. I am betting all my money on the MAMs and will be pulling the trigger on one of these. I remember reading in one of the reviews of A12, the writer felt the ADEL IEMs were designed and built around Adjustable Modules as everyone’s ear anatomy is different. If that is true, may be, the Auto Module was just a temporary solution until Asius and 64 Audio came up with a more reliable Adjustable Module. That said, the isolation with the Auto Module was very good. Even better than the IE80.

After comparing these IEMs in person, I feel Sonny Trigg got it spot on comparing these 2 IEMs in his review at http://inearspace.com/2016/02/22/measurement-monday-64-audio-adel-a10-a12/. But what I felt his review lacked was, he did not stress enough on the Cons of either IEMs since he owned both to fulfill his separate needs. For times when he wanted the earth shaking bass or fun sound, he would use his A12 and for times when he required a balanced sound, he would go with the A10. So he was not in a position to complain.

U10 vs U12:
U10 is a balanced IEM with a slight boost in the low-end, more so in the sub-bass. U12 is just a darker version of U10, with a significant rise in the mid-bass, resulting in a warmer, smoother and fuller sound. So all the perceived difference between the 2 IEMs, is a result of the darker sound of the A12 (again something that Sonny clearly stated and stressed in his review). That said, let’s talk about the similarities first.

SIMILARITIES:
Both U10 and U12 sound smooth and airy. The soundstage dimensions is also the same on both. With the ADEL Auto Modules fully inserted, to my ears, the perceived transparency, separation and layering was good but not great. With the ADEL Module half-way inserted, there was a slight improvement in soundstage width, depth, transparency, separation and layering, which to me, was a sign that, these IEMs have greater potential than what I am actually hearing. This effect was slightly more perceivable on the U12, than the U10 for some reason. On tracks that did not have anything going on in the lower registers, these both sounded very similar. I couldn’t sense the overdone bass of the U12 at all.

FACTUAL DIFFERENCES:
(Based on the info from the 64Audio website and the graphs from http://inearspace.com/): There is a bump of ~6dB in the mid-bass region on the U12. The 2 extra drivers for the low frequency helps U12 to achieve this. The bass on the U12 has great quantity, hits hard and digs deep. It can also create a strong rumble.

Just because there are just 2 drivers on the U10, it does not mean it lacks bass or it is bass-light. It is just more polite than the U12. The Bass drivers on these(U10 and U12) are almost two times the size of the Mid and Treble drivers. The added extra drivers makes the size of the body of U12 to be at least 20% more in volume than the U10. The bass on the U10 is very present. It has more sub-bass than mid-bass though (something Shotgunshane and RedRising98 already mentioned in their impressions on the U10). U10s are not neutral nor bright nor analytical nor thin.

If you are still under the impression that U10 is a neutral IEM and I am just someone who prefers a neutral sound, may be this will help. I have tried the HD800 (Source: Yggdrasil/Ragnarok combo) and the MrSpeakers Ether (Source: ALO Continental Dual Mono) and these 2 are considered almost neutral headphones.  I couldn’t listen to HD800 for more than 10 minutes as I found it to sound thin, bright and analytical. I actually liked the Ether, but it lacked a bit of a low-end impact and sounded slightly sterile that I wouldn’t own it if it was just going to be my only headphone.

PERCEIVED DIFFERENCES:
Because of the bass boost on the U12, the whole sound comes off as full, lush, warm, thick and super-smooth (something Twister6 and many other A12 owners here have stated). U10 retains all of these qualities but to a lesser extent. The bass boost on the U12 adds more body to the male vocals and the lower mids. What is interesting is, this does not drown out the female vocals or the rest of the mids. But there is definitely a slight veil over the rest of the frequency. The veil is ever so slight that, it only smooths things out and does not make the other frequencies feel recessed. Some people might like this smoothness, while others might appreciate the more textured mids and airy highs that the U10 has to offer. I would need more time to talk more about U10’s mids. So I am not going to say anything here.

There is something about the U10’s treble on certain tracks that bothered me. Very rare though. But then, I am not well read in the world of audio to put my finger exactly nor am I able to name what it is. I did not experience this on the U12, and I am not sure if it’s the tuning on the U12, or if the bass veil that helps cover this up.

On certain tracks the elevated bass on the U12, added character to the track and made it more musical thus enjoyable and fun. While there were also tracks, where the bass was so over powering (high amplitude), that I just skipped the track. The bass although great in quantity was very clean, except for the adding thickness to the mids and slight veil over other frequencies. In my experience, this is the only headphone/IEM that has so much bass, and yet gets away with sounding really good, without sounding bloated or drowning the mids.

U12 also has better overall decay that comes close to sounding like a DD but not quite there. U10 has good decay for a BA IEM. Better than the Westone W40 and Earsonics Velvet from my memory. I think this decay quality and the lush sound is what make these IEMs sound organic.

A10's CONS:
There were times when I felt the low-end lacked a bit of impact and rumble. It could use a bit of mid-bass to help improve the low-end impact and add more body to the lower mids. Increasing the 125Hz band on the EQ didn’t quite yield what I was wishing for here. Another complaint is, what I mentioned about the treble early. But this was rare (only on certain tracks).

A12’s CONS:
Overemphasized bass on certain tracks and the slight veil over the rest of the frequency. Some may find it too thick and lacking in details.

GENERAL CONS:
It seems to me that the ADEL module introduces a whole big variable into this equation of perceived sound of these IEMs, apart the other typical variables such as fit, source and individual’s sound preference.  This makes it really hard to judge these IEMs and even harder to recommend after my brief listening experience. May be once I receive my own pair of either the A10 or A12 with MAMs and once I spend more time, I should be in a better place to offer more insight (at this point, I have not decided if I am getting the A10 or the A12).

WHAT I AM NOT HEARING/EXPERIENCING:
Please be aware, this section seems to be dependent on the MAMs. So my stance could change once I switch to MAMs
- Open Back Headphone Effect – I am sorry to say this, but I am not experiencing this at all. What I will say though is, it sounds like a very Airy Dynamic Driver IEM. May be this is what people are trying to express. If so, then I am on the same boat as you.
- Exemplary Imaging and Expansive Soundstage –  Although imaging is good, I am not hearing an amazing imaging. And although the presentation is very airy, the soundstage itself is not immensely wide. The depth is only average. The soundstage does tend to extend wide on certain tracks but for the most part it remained humble.
- Textured Bass – May be I need to listen more closely and spend more time. But others have confirmed that the bass became more textured and articulated by opening the MAMs.

WHAT I COULDN'T TEST:
- Less Fatigue – Given the limited time window I have to demo these, and the fact that I don’t have a non-Adel BA IEM, it is really hard to test this claim fairly.
- Listening to Lower Volume – I haven’t tested this elaborately yet. But there is a chance this could be true. On my X3ii with Low Gain and EQ Off, I listen to my IE80 at 33-37/120 volume. IE80 has a sensitivity of 125 dB and an impedance rating of 16 Ohm. But with the U12(117 dB, 16 Ohm) I was listening at 30-34/120. And with the U10(117 dB, 22, Ohm) I was listening at 36-40/120. Please Note: I did not volume match. Once I get me Custom and buy myself an SPL meter, I will try to volume match and will include the findings in my review.

U12 vs IE80:
- U12 felt like a Big Brother to the IE80 not only in terms of Quantity, but also in Quality and Maturity. These 2 share many similarities. I found myself in a familiar territory and got used to the sound soon.
- IE80 has a constant bass presence in almost all tracks, while the U12 makes its presence only when it is required. But when it does it comes down hard. If you like hard hitting bass, you will like the U12. IE80’s bass can also sometimes feel soft but U12’s bass is always punchy. The natural decay on the IE80 can come off as slow but you can’t ignore the fact that, it feels so effortless and fluid. U12’s bass decay comes close. But is not quite there.
- Mids is where the IE80 fell short for me, as it gave the sense that there was no balance. Although U12’s bass extends a veil over the mids, it only makes it smooth and doesn’t make the mids sound recessed, thus retaining a good sense of overall balance.
- The treble is almost the same on both, with the U12 showing better texture. IE80 wins on extension but again that is expected given it is a DD. (This applies to U10 vs IE80 as well)
- The soundstage seems almost equal in size on both. But on certain tracks the soundstage of the U12 extended wider. The sense of the depth on the U12 also sounded slightly better after I spent more time. Both U12 and the IE80 have an airy and a laid back presentation. (This applies to U10 vs IE80 as well)
- Layering and separation on the U12 was definitely better but not a leap ahead with the Auto ADEL Modules fully inserted. With half-inserted ADEL modules, this difference became slightly more noticeable. (This applies to U10 vs IE80 as well)

U10 vs IE80:
- U10 took a longer time to get used to. Because of the balanced sound, I found myself reaching for my X3ii to adjust the volume every now and then to adjust the volume at different levels for different tracks. But I found the sweet spot in a day. Not sure if everyone goes through this experience.
- U10’s bass is slightly polite compared to the IE80. IE80 has more slam and adds warmth and body to the lower mids. U10’s bass has more texture and more sub-bass. Once again, the decay is an easy win for the IE80. But if you are looking for a middle ground between quick bass and good decay, U10 can serve you well.
- U10’s mids are noticeably better than the IE80. It has more texture and although not too forward to feel like it is on your face, has great clarity and transparency.
- For other comparison points between U10 vs IE80, please read the U12 vs IE80 section.

RECOMMENDATIONS:
Choose U10 if:
- You like a more balanced sound and don’t need an overpowering bass experience, or
- You already own one or more bassy IEM(s) and want to try some balanced waters that is not too analytical, or
- You listen to vocal/instrumental/classical/acoustic music mostly

Choose U12 if:
- You prefer a significant bass presence in your music, or
- You already own one or more neutral or balanced IEM(s) and you want to try something fun, or
- You listen to electronic/edm/house/pop music mostly

Neither if:
- You prefer an intimate sound
- You seek upfront clarity
- What you are looking for is, perfectly neutral/reference class sound
- You are a treble-head or looking for a bright IEM or an analytical sounding IEM
- You don’t want to deal with small parts like ADEL modules

From Left: Sennheiser IE80, 64 Audio U10 and 64 Audio U12. Spiral Dots Tips on all 3 IEMs.

Hope this Helps!

Apr 8, 2016 at 7:20 PM Post #4,662 of 9,124
So the same link to tune into the spreecast is actually the same as to watch it afterwards. Thank you for everybody that joined in and participated! Sorry for the technical difficulties, we did our best to adapt on the fly. I know some of the computer demos were hard to make out, we'll probably do another once Stephen is back from giving lectures in Texas.

To those guys watching later, if you find parts difficult to listen/view, try to skip around before canceling out. There were parts that got much better.

Thank you @Brooko for moderating the discussion!

http://www.spreecast.com/events/n64-audio-adel-discussion--2 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back