1964 Ears Adel IEMs
Apr 7, 2016 at 2:49 PM Post #4,636 of 9,124
Quote:

Now that is cool!  I hope 64 Audio will allow some degree of customization with universals.  Even some basic semi-translucent color would be great!

True. But I believe they use different colors for different models only for the demo units. I am not sure if color options for the U series will be available for purchase. I remember seeing a picture of 64 Audio's table from one of the shows and they had their different models in different colors. Anyways here are some pictures.

1. U10 in Translucent Blue shell.

2. Size comparison. From left to right: Sennheiser IE80, U10 and U12. As you can see, U12 appears to be about 20% more in volume than the U10.

3. Notice the size of the Bass driver in comparison to the Mid and Treble drivers.

Apr 7, 2016 at 2:52 PM Post #4,637 of 9,124
Ok guys, here is the link to tomorrow's SpreeCast with IEM & ADEL inventor, Stephen Ambrose. 

The live cast is Friday at 2pm Pacific, 3pm Mountain, 5pm Eastern. 

Please tune into the stream and participate! This will be your chance to ask Stephen whatever you want directly and have him address whatever you throw at him. Paul aka Brooko will be voicing alot of his own questions, as well as commonly voiced thoughts/questions by you, the head-fi community.

http://www.spreecast.com/events/n64-audio-adel-discussion--2

Apr 7, 2016 at 2:53 PM Post #4,638 of 9,124

True. But I believe they use different colors for different models only for the demo units. I am not sure if color options for the U series will be available for purchase. I remember seeing a picture of 64 Audio's table from one of the shows and they had their different models in different colors. Anyways here are some pictures.

2. Size comparison. From left to right: Sennheiser IE80, U10 and U12. As you can see, U12 appears to be about 20% more in volume than the U10.

3. Notice the size of the Bass driver in comparison to the Mid and Treble drivers.

We use clear or black shelled IEMs for demo units, the number on the side is normally in a different color for whatever model it is.

Apr 7, 2016 at 4:16 PM Post #4,639 of 9,124

So since you're demoing both U10 and U12, how is the ADEL module compare to an IEM without the ADEL?

Apr 7, 2016 at 5:04 PM Post #4,641 of 9,124

So since you're demoing both U10 and U12, how is the ADEL module compare to an IEM without the ADEL?

To be honest, I am finding it difficult to pin-point the difference that the ADEL might be delivering here. The only other non-ADEL IEM I own is a Sennheiser IE80, which is a Dynamic Driver IEM. And the IE80 is a very airy IEM and has a good decay. There is a lot of air in the sound on both the U10 and the U12 for sure. But not sure if this effect is the result of the ADEL module. May be if I had another multi BA driver IEM on hand, I would have been able to tell for sure. (BA Drivers and Dynamic Drivers push air differently)

Earlier I mentioned about the size of the soundstage being on par with the soundstage of the IE80. But after that post, I came across few tracks on which there was so much air on the U10 and the U12, that it gave a sense that the soundstage was bigger than the IE80. Imaging is better than the IE80. If you have tracks that have a good sense of spatial cues, these tracks will let these IEMs shine. It falls short a little in the depth department too. I do not comprehend nor have been able to recognize the height, so I am going to refrain from commenting on it.

Decay on both is very good for a BA IEM. U12 has a better decay than the U10. That doesn’t mean the U10 lacks decay. It has better decay than the Westone W40 and Earsonics Velvets. The rumble on the U12 is like the something what you’d feel in a home-theater system. Of all the headphones I have tried with an overdone bass, U12 does the best job of keeping it clean and quick, without bleeding much into the mids and the highs.  Also the bass does not bellow or rumble all the time. There is definitely a slight veil which is a small price to pay if you are looking for a smooth sound. Despite being smooth, the details are very good. Not very resolving though. 

I am not experiencing the effect of an ‘open back headphone’. If ‘1’ refers to the presentation of a closed back headphone and ‘10’ represents the presentation of an open back headphone. I would say these are in the range of may be 3 or 4. May be things will change with the MAMs. On the bright side, I am finding the isolation to be pretty good. Slightly better than the IE80.

These(U10 and U12) are definitely not for someone who prefers an intimate sound or an upfront sound. 

Apr 7, 2016 at 5:09 PM Post #4,643 of 9,124
  For me, impressions accepted 03/15, faceplates applied 04/01... graphics is next...

keep calm, I tell myself haha

I'm about 4 days behind.. accepted 03/18, Assembled 04/04.
That was really quick
smily_headphones1.gif
Meanwhile my impressions were accepted on first of March

WOW.. that's SLOW

Apr 7, 2016 at 5:37 PM Post #4,644 of 9,124
  Observation #3: (Subjective)

I like bass but I am not a bass-head nor a slamming-mid-bass geek. Just in terms of Bass Quantity I seem to prefer the U10 and it seems to be just the right quantity. But there is something about the U12's overall quality that is so magnetic. Definitely not going to be an easy choice here.

Yes, there is something magical about the U/A12 isn't there? I'll probably end up getting an A10 in addition to my A12 at some point.  The A12 is absolutely non fatiguing, I believe the ADEL module plays a role in this but also the sig, the treble is noticeable easy on the ears and while it's not rolled off enough to actually miss things in songs, it's recessed.  I'd describe the A12 as very rich, warm, dark and smooth like melted chocolate.  There is airy-ness across the entire frequency spectrum, everything seems lifted but not in tone.  People who don't like a dark/warm sound should definitely go with the A10 or some other model.  Of course the soundstage is insane.  I would also agree that the sound is not up close, it seems to come from far away.  On certain songs it seems to me the sound is coming from several inches beyond my ears.  Imaging is TOTL.

Apr 7, 2016 at 7:14 PM Post #4,647 of 9,124
So I'm looking at getting an after market cable for my A12's. is there anything out there in the $100-$200 range? What are you all using?

I'm using norne pure silver therium. I may sell it to fund other purchases, let me know if you are interested.

Apr 7, 2016 at 7:26 PM Post #4,649 of 9,124
http://www.norneaudio.com/litzheim/Norne-Audio-Pure-Silver-occ-litz-ohno-continuous-cast-ciem-iem-replacement-cable-cotton-type-4-shure-mmcx-2-pin-eidolic-westone-jh-audio-aurisonics-1964-ears-custom

Users who are viewing this thread

Back