1964 Ears Adel IEMs
Feb 8, 2016 at 2:07 PM Post #3,377 of 9,124
Feb 8, 2016 at 2:07 PM Post #3,378 of 9,124
I listened to my U6s on the AK380 at Headroom 2016 and they sounded amazing. For me they are a fantastic pairing (the best pairing with the U6s at the show). I also listened to the JHs (6,8 and 12 drivers) on the AK240 which I found a bit dark compared to the U6s.

Feb 8, 2016 at 2:13 PM Post #3,379 of 9,124
you got my post wrong actually the shure 846 with ak380 is simply amazing

while my sony xba z5 with the ak380 is really dull so so bad match

thats why i need to be 100% sure that the ak380 and u12 are a good match without an amp

the shure 846 and ak380 wihtout an amp are amazing

Well impressions are purely subjective, so if it's a good pairing for you that's all that matters. Typically output impedance of a dap will not affect dynamic drivers, so no idea why the Sony sounds bland. Sounds like a general issue of bad synergy. That you never know until someone tries it.

Feb 8, 2016 at 2:23 PM Post #3,380 of 9,124
Well impressions are purely subjective, so if it's a good pairing for you that's all that matters. Typically output impedance of a dap will not affect dynamic drivers, so no idea why the Sony sounds bland. Sounds like a general issue of bad synergy. That you never know until someone tries it.

i was totally taken by how dull the sony z5 sounded with ak380, but i did not care that much because its not an expensive iem, but if i shed huge price for the u12 and it will be the same as the sony z5 man that would be a slap in the face. Again I do not want to use the ak380 with its amp as I purly would love it to be just ak380 and the u12 on the go without adding the amp

i need to read more from users that have the ak380 and u12 as that is not a small investment buying the u12 and then be faced with not an optimal matching

Feb 8, 2016 at 3:23 PM Post #3,383 of 9,124
They come with 3 sizes of complys and a pair of silicon tips, but I would recommend ordering some Spinfits. I got a better fit with those and sound tube is not obstructed, so the lows and highs appear to sound better. 

Feb 8, 2016 at 3:43 PM Post #3,384 of 9,124
Thanks for the recommendation. I read that Noble's universal tips also work, and I'm hoping the biflanges that I'm currently using will fit.

Feb 8, 2016 at 9:41 PM Post #3,386 of 9,124
              Welcome to the FUTURE

This is my first impression of MAM after spending about 30min of listening, A12 + ADEL MAM w/TWau cable using PAW Gold as a source.

When I posted my first impression of A12, I mentioned about the "BASS".  I was a little surprised by the quantity of mid-bass out of the box.  I personally didn't believe in burn in of multi-BA IEMs/CIEMs, but A12 is an example where after about 75hrs I felt like bass settled in (could be attributed to burn in of crossover components, caps and resistors, and solder joints - after all, it got 12 separate BA drivers).  I also switched from a stock cable (warmer smoother sound) to TWag and then to TWau (reviewing it now).  I'm not going to argue if you are not a cable believer, and in a most polite way I would prefer to agree to disagree
wink.gif
  To my ears, cable upgrade especially with A12 makes a noticeable difference of tightening the bass, brightening the sound (a few shades of veil is removed), adding more sparkle and airiness to the top end, and also improving the perception of soundstage expansion.

While comparing a sound with default module in vs out, I can definitely hear an open-back like sound with low shelf filtered bass (reduction) and no isolation when module is removed.  This is expected since you have through hole in your IEM/CIEM without a module.  When blocking the tip of ADEL module where you have a pinhole air vent, I can "feel" the effect of slightly more pressure, like an extra sub-bass pressure.

Now, the game changes once you put MAM adjustable ADEL modules in.  Just like with anything else related to headphones, I'm pretty sure some people might not hear/feel the same level of difference, or the difference will be too subtle for them.  We all have a different ear anatomy, different hearing level, and other ear-to-ear variations that go along with it.  Starting with MAM module completely "closed" where I hear/feel audio exactly like it was with non-adjustable auto-module, as you start turning the knob it feels like you are releasing a very subtle pressure valve.  The difference I'm hearing is associated mostly with mid-bass and sub-bass where I start to hear less "boom" and the low end becomes a little more relaxed.  It's a very interesting feeling, not like you adjusting the bass quantity by adjusting a specific EQ band, but rather like you are releasing a pressure associated with pumping bass, you know the feeling you get in a club when you feel the bass in your chest, that's how I felt it in my ears where turning the knob releases this "bass" pressure.  That's when I realized that it makes absolutely PERFECT sense for the initial A12 signature to be tuned for a little more bass with a default ADEL module.  Once you switch to MAM module, that adjustment will take it down to a more comfortable level.  If you don't start with an extra quantity, you will not have enough margin to adjust it down.  Again, I know I'm focusing more on low end changes associate with MAM adjustment because that was my focus as I was listening to A12 w/MAM.  Another noticeable change is the expansion of soundstage.  I'm not talking about opening the valve and turning A12 into semi-open IEM.  It literally felt like you are opening the windows to let some air in without compromising isolation.  Sound becomes more transparent, more layered, with better separation between layers where it feels like soundstage expansion also "expands" the space between layers.  Effect is not necessary night'n'day, but I can hear it.

Now, regarding the adjustable module itself.  It pretty much feels like a watch crown, easy to grab and to adjust, and I have average size fingers.  Not sure how those with sausage fingers will handle it :)  My MAM modules arrived with L/R marking so once IEMs/CIEMs in your ears you turn each side in the same direction (very good idea!).  The tuning is continuous from one endpoint to another, no click adjustment.  I do have to warn, those with OCD - you probably want to wait for a module with click adjustment.  Heck, I don't think I have OCD, but every time I played with tuning, I always started with a default state of both modules "closed" and tried turning the crown simultaneously and at the same speed.  Definitely would be interesting to check out the click-adjustment module when it becomes available, to see if my adjustment experience would be any different.  I still look at MAM as something I want to set-it and forget-it, instead of driving myself crazy trying to adjust every time I put A12 in my ears.  Btw, the good news is that adjustment is not loose and there is some resistance as you turn the dial.  With a click-adjustment, I think this turning action will have a little more control and maybe a better piece of mind, especially when you put earpieces in trying not to bump the previously set adjustment.

Bottom line, I'm VERY impressed with ADEL technology.  To be honest, I was a bit skeptical about adjustment part.  I understood the concept of auto-module and was able to hear/feel the effect of module in/out and closing the pinhole air-vent, but wasn't quite sure what to expect with adjustable module and if effect will be even noticeable.  To my ears - it's definitely noticeable, and you appreciate it more as you start turning the dial.  This is not a gimmick, you can definitely feel the effect of relaxed pressure, like when you hear the bass instead of feeling it (that's probably the best way to describe it).  Of course, this is my first impression, and I will be working on my full A12 review and updated experience of using MAM modules.  One thing for sure, I'm not taking MAMs out, they are staying in A12 permanently
biggrin.gif

Based on my early impression, I was definitely able to "hear" the difference while adjusting MAM module.  The difference in sound did resemble an adjustment of bass quantity, as I mentioned in my impression above, but it wasn't the same as EQ adjustment but rather a change of how you perceive the bass.  As you know, ears is an important tool, but sometime our mind can play a trick on us.  So, I put A12 + MAM adjustment to the test while monitoring with my Vibro Veritas measurement tool, capturing FR with ARTA. The result is VERY interesting!!!

Green curve FR - module closed.
Yellow curve FR - module 1/3 open.
Blue curve FR - module 2/3 open.
Red curve FR - module is open.

As you can see, the only affected region is sub-/mid-bass while everything else remained nearly the same.  Very interesting how low end response flattens out at about 2/3 of turning range, and then goes back up when fully open.  One thing you can't obviously capture is airiness and expansion of the sound as you open the module, but the change of low end FR is a definitive confirmation that I'm seeing exactly what I'm hearing.

Feb 8, 2016 at 11:49 PM Post #3,387 of 9,124

Based on my early impression, I was definitely able to "hear" the difference while adjusting MAM module.  The difference in sound did resemble an adjustment of bass quantity, as I mentioned in my impression above, but it wasn't the same as EQ adjustment but rather a change of how you perceive the bass.  As you know, ears is an important tool, but sometime our mind can play a trick on us.  So, I put A12 + MAM adjustment to the test while monitoring with my Vibro Veritas measurement tool, capturing FR with ARTA. The result is VERY interesting!!!

[COLOR=008000]Green[/COLOR] curve FR - module closed.
[COLOR=FFFF00]Yellow[/COLOR] curve FR - module 1/3 open.
[COLOR=0000FF]Blue[/COLOR] curve FR - module 2/3 open.
[COLOR=FF0000]Red[/COLOR] curve FR - module is open.

As you can see, the only affected region is sub-/mid-bass while everything else remained nearly the same.  Very interesting how low end response flattens out at about 2/3 of turning range, and then goes back up when fully open.  One thing you can't obviously capture is airiness and expansion of the sound as you open the module, but the change of low end FR is a definitive confirmation that I'm seeing exactly what I'm hearing.

I gotta say, that's pretty amazing especially since, looking at the rest of the graph, nothing else really changes. Wow.

Feb 8, 2016 at 11:58 PM Post #3,388 of 9,124

Green curve FR - module closed.
Yellow curve FR - module 1/3 open.
Blue curve FR - module 2/3 open.
Red curve FR - module is open.

I gotta say, that's pretty amazing especially since, looking at the rest of the graph, nothing else really changes. Wow.

What's truly amazing that this change is just an artifact of pneumatic pressure adjustment inside of a measurement coupler with mic (Veritas setup).  This is not an EQ or anything like that.  I can't wait until Paul (@Brooko) can run his measurements to confirm it with U6.

Feb 9, 2016 at 12:01 AM Post #3,389 of 9,124
I'm looking forward to it too.  They just hit Auckland - so probably another couple of days.

Feb 9, 2016 at 2:06 AM Post #3,390 of 9,124
hey guys,

I am asking if you can share me how to use the Adel module? Mine is similar to this picture below.

Besides, anyone have successful with changing ear tips? I am planning to use the Westone silicone start ear tips. I have good experience with them, just need to find what color will fit with the 1964 Adel Universal tube.
Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back